Steve
janey
stuandlee
11 posters

Go down

Our New Rescue Boy Empty Our New Rescue Boy

Post by stuandlee Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:02

Hi guys,

I am new here... and we recently rehomed a gorgeous white staffie named Ralfy. He is absolutely perfect! We cant believe our luck. He was unfortunately chucked out the back of a moving car when his owners realised he wouldnt be the terrifying guard dog they required... Consequently he was a very scared little chap with a huge scar on his side, but after just a few days is now one of my babys.

Needless to say, he is a legend. We have two kids 3 and 5 and he adores them - not a viscious bone in his body. He listens to (almost) every command and is great with other dogs. We love him dearly however we would like some advice.

I have two guinea pigs and sadly he just wont leave them alone. Ralfy cant bark but instead if they are in the hutch or run, he headbutts it and circles around constantly. I dont really know what to do or how to stop this behaviour... does anyone have any advice, hints or tips?

Thanks Smile

stuandlee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralf
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Our New Rescue Boy Empty Re: Our New Rescue Boy

Post by janey Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:08

Hiya and welcome, what a bad start to life your boy had, bless, nice one on re-homing him and giving him the life he deserves. I haven't got any other animals so I can't help there sorry, did have a hamster once but she left it alone, some one will be on with advice though. Would love to see some pics Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:12

Awesome news on your recue its so good to hear another Staffy has been rescued highliight of my day, With your guinea pigs it seems like a prey drive, but can turn into a obsession, So the only thing i can think of doing is what i had to do with my dogs for my chickens, I allowed the dogs t sniff their behinds whilst holding, being nice and calm yourself if the dog gets to excited give a correction and start over, he doesn't need to touch the guinea pig only sniff to satify his curiousity and when they are in the run and he is doing what you said give him a correction or command. Don't allow him to stare and obsess over them or his excitement might get the better of him. Be firm with bounaries letting him know what is ok and what is not ok eventually he should get it stay strong and see things through. Godd luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:18

Hi & Our New Rescue Boy Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Our New Rescue Boy Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Our New Rescue Boy Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Our New Rescue Boy Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Our New Rescue Boy Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Our New Rescue Boy Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:50

Aaawwww what a bad start he's had Sad
So glad you've rescued him, welcome from me n Hollie wave
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 19:49

Hi & welcome, hope you enjoy the forum!

What a lovely thing to do, rescuing that poor boy. I'm sure he'll give you many years of devotion in repayment. thumbs up

As Claire says, you need to introduce him quietly and calmly so that he accepts them as an everyday thing in your family. Also, teach him the 'leave' command so that if his curiosity starts to get the better of him you can tell him to leave & he will.

However, please bear in mind that staffies sometimes don't get on with small furry rodents, and no amount of training will change that. If that's the case you will always have to take care when he is near them.

My Bandit was fine with small pets, but Dempsey (ok, I know he's a bull terrier, but still!) would eat them given the chance...........not joking! Blushing

P.S. An unwritten rule of the forum is LOTS OF PICS OF YOUR STAFFY PLEASE!!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Mon Apr 25 2011, 20:21

welcome to the forum.....

and well done you on saving him....
scott
scott

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Apr 25 2011, 20:59

Welcome to the forum well done on the rescue ralphy did have a bad start in life poor boy
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:01

By the way, how did he get the scar on his side, poor thing? Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:07

Hi we're also newbies here and also rescued a white staff (black odd shaped patch over muzzle, eye and ear!) pup ? 5months old almost 2 weeks ago now and have been having a bit of the same thing too!! Perfect in everyother way mind.

Milo wants to play? eat? the rabbit! He too circles the run and begs him to play at times. The poor bunny and our 3 hens normally come out daily as our entire garden is either fenced or walled. We've been correcting him but the damn bunny enjoys teasing him no joke! He's one smart cookie and knows the dog can't do anything ;0) we have since blocked the dogs view of him which has helped as seriously the bunny just torments him and the dog barking at the bunny torments us! We have offered the bunny's rear to the rabbit but he did that excited puppy nip and didn't want to risk anything more incase it really is a case of 'I want to eat you' as opposed to 'I'm excited and want to play'. We're waiting for the 2nd jab to go out properly and burn of some pent up energy added to that the puppy energy before we try again.

He's inside with our hamster infact his bed is right next to him and he doesn't trouble him nor the hens but do not want to let them out just yet...our bunny is a trouble maker lol!! Tongues

It's funny because our old rescue staff who came to us at 14 months and left aged 12 1/2 along with our jack russel were always loose with our rescue guineas and rabbit even when the guineas were babies (the staff would stand guard with his back to them) and the rabbit would hare about having a funny 5 minutes - yes that's right loose with a jack russel and a staff!!

Good luck and here's to a long and happy life with our new rescue buddies <:-P
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Our New Rescue Boy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:18

forgot to post these!
Our New Rescue Boy NewboyOur New Rescue Boy BunnypalsOur New Rescue Boy LovelyOur New Rescue Boy P4220043
ardvark
ardvark

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Apr 25 2011, 21:40

Im sorry but given a chance I think they want to eat them Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 01:44

Caryll wrote:

P.S. An unwritten rule of the forum is LOTS OF PICS OF YOUR STAFFY PLEASE!!! Laughing

Laughing Nice one Caryll thumbs up

Hi wave from me and Roxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 08:50

hello and welcome

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 20:20

welcome to the forum.....

and well done you on saving him....

Back to top Go down

Post by burties35 Wed Apr 27 2011, 09:42

Hi and welcome, sorry can't help with problem but nice one for rescuing. Big Grin
burties35
burties35

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi

Back to top Go down

Post by hopefulnewowner Wed Apr 27 2011, 09:45

Fantastic news more people rescuing staffies! thumbs up
hopefulnewowner
hopefulnewowner
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jess
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Wed Apr 27 2011, 19:44

Hi,Skyla and I are newbies too Big Grin
We have a hamster and an indoor ferret and Skye has taken a dislike to both,the hamster is fairly easy...we only have to say "down" and she's ok with that.The ferret on the other hand is a different matter.She wants to eat him.We've had to cover his cage with a towel so she can't see him,she's ok with smell it's just the 'chase' factor with her.
Poor ferret thinks he's gone blind.
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skyla
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down