Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help.

4 posters

Go down

Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help. Empty Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help.

Post by jola139 Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:13

Hi all, as some off you know we wanting to adopted female Staffy - HAva. Rescue centre hasn't checked her yet if she tolarete other dogs, they waiting because at the moment she's very stressed. Some people on the polish forum told me to not think any longer just take her. Because even if they test her and she's ok it doesn't mean she will be ok with mine. That dogs in kennels react different. I want to wait because I don't want to make a mistake. And I think on that kind of test they can tell if dog is DA or it's fear aggression etc. They have to do sterilization.
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help. Empty Re: Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help.

Post by flowerbud Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:39

Not much help I'm afraid, but the rescue place will have their set ways of doing things. Think you will have to wait if they say you should. Also if they are spaying her she will need a short recovery time. Not a good time to meet when she is sore and possibly grumpy anyway.
Bet you can't wait though. Hope it's not too long.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help. Empty Re: Rescue dog as a second dog. Please help.

Post by Rachel33 Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:59

I know in England that if a dog is to go to a home with another dog they have to be tested with various dogs in various settings to cover the rescue centres legal status for adoption. They then usually request that the two dogs in quesiton meet at least twice for a decent walk and off lead time together to ensure that they are compatible. She may be right for you, but not for Debo.. they may clash in temperament or compete for higher ranking status. Also, you really don't want to mess around with bull breeds. If it goes wrong the stakes are high, and you just never know. They more than likely won't allow you to take her without relevent testing anyway, but if I were you i'd definitely wait.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sat Dec 28 2013, 11:14

Thank you Rachel. I thought that in Poland is the same. But what a suprise - it's not. Im in contact with voluntaree who look after Hava , she said that they will test her. And when I asked about two dogs meeting together she said they don't practice that but will see what she can do for us. I really want to help the dog but have to think about Debo too. That's I wanted your opinion on that one.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Dec 28 2013, 11:39

To be fair at the stray kennels that I worked at before, they didn't test dogs before rehoming but in the proper rehoming centres here they do! That did sadly result in lots of dogs being returned though, or even worse put to sleep! Even if they don't want to be responsible in testing her you still can and use your experience to read her behaviour! But they really must meet a few times before coming home! If you feel unsure, take it slow. Just don't take any risks xx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sat Dec 28 2013, 11:56

That's the plan, will take it slow. If it's ment to be she'll be mine. Just worried cause it's getting colder.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 28 2013, 12:22

As you say if its meant to be all will work out. Hope she is with you very soon xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sat Dec 28 2013, 17:37

Well. I 've got some info. A girl from town near rescue centre said she called tchem. They don't do introductions! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But she said if they let her take Have with sighing papers that she will do sterilization, she will offer temp home and then we could do indrotuction.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Dec 29 2013, 10:28

So it's not all bad news then, that could be a good thing.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down