ANGIEMARKYOUNG
cesca1
Nosipho
Hargar
KarlyandDoug
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I feel i should justify myself to y'all - Page 2 Empty I feel i should justify myself to y'all

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 16 2013, 14:39

First topic message reminder :

I was just putting a comment on about dog crates, and how Louby loves hers, but she is in it all day while we work, and i feel i have to justify myself and say 'Its not ideal but she was found as a stray, and the life with us where we she is loved and spoilt rotten, and taken on great walks is better than the alternative had she been found by the dog warden or worse, a horrible chav' blah blah blah, and its cos i dont want to be judged by the fab people on here. But at the same time i want to be honest. I know some people wont agree with her being locked in all day, but it is a big crate, and i make sure she has things to occupy her, but the guilt i feel about it is terrible, so she is spoilt..
(this is me probably justifying it to myself?!?!).
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I feel i should justify myself to y'all - Page 2 Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

I feel i should justify myself to y'all - Page 2 Empty Re: I feel i should justify myself to y'all

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 21:31

Kathy wrote:I just had another idea with regards to a dog walker and finances, would you consider contacting your local volunteer office they may be able to put you in contact with a volunteer dog walker in your area. This is one thing we have in our town, people can put their names down for volunteer positions of all kinds of things such as dog walkers.

Yes it would mean you putting your trust into someone going into your home but you would also get the benefit of Louby having a walk or at least use of the garden during the day. Just something else to consider.

That's a fantastic idea kathy, I've personally not heard of it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

I feel i should justify myself to y'all - Page 2 Empty Re: I feel i should justify myself to y'all

Post by Mandz Thu May 16 2013, 21:38

Have you thought about a dog pen? Frankie can't be left loose because he chews, regardless of how many Kongs etc he's left with. I'm the same as you, we both work full time so frankie is left, I pop home when I can but can't always manage it. Frankie has a dog pen that I brought from eBay. It has 8 sides ( you can buy different sizes) and its easy to take down/put up. He has his bed, toys, water and enough room to stretch his legs. It doesn't have a roof but is fairly tall. So it's much bigger than a crate but can be taken down when not needed. If its something you think might suit you I can try and find a link to a similar one. Please don't get upset, everybody has their own opinions which is what makes us human. Hope this helps Smile
Mandz
Mandz

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Frankie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by sonics family Thu May 16 2013, 22:37

Similar to the above, when we first got sonic and.she chewed we decided to crate her, but used my sons two baby Dan playpens, they were joined together in an l shape and gave a
plenty of room for her to have food bowls a bed and toys..and the benefit is you can collapse it down easily if you don't have room to keep it up!
sonics family
sonics family
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 26.06.2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri May 17 2013, 08:10

That's a really good idea having a pen that can go up n down easily. It could be in the middle of the living room, then take it down when we get home.

Also, I shall look at volunteers!

On a good note, I'm off work today, so it's a 3 day weekend for me n Lou x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 09:00

Enjoy your day off Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri May 17 2013, 09:26

Ok, I haven't read all the comments yet but I wanna say that I don't feel you need to justify yourself. You are doing the best with the current situation you are in and you are asking for advice! You seem to really love your dog!

However, I do think it is too long to be crated for 8 hours but I don't think it is the end of the world if you do so while working on getting to a stage where you can trust her to have the run of the house or at least a room!
My dog has the run of the house when I'm out but I doubt she ever leaves the couch to be honest, if I leave toys etc they are not even moved, I think she goes to sleep as soon as I leave. I don't have a crate but I'm sure she would sleep as well in there as on the couch.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Fri May 17 2013, 10:22

I have just read through all of the posts and must say that while I personally do not think that crating all day is okay, I can understand where you are coming from and appreciate that you are trying to find alternatives that will work for you.

I also work full time and Chiquito is home alone from 8:00 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon 5 days a week, so I can well appreciate the guilt that goes with leaving them.

He is still too young and mouthy to be left with the run of the house all day and I have a large open plan house - so short of locking him in the bathroom, toilet or my bedroom there are just not enough walls close to each other to create a closed of space inside. I do not have someone to come and walk him through the day and, for me personally, I do not like the idea of crates ... so he spends his days outside in a play pen area on the patio. It is about 3 metres by 2 metres and has a kennel for him to sleep in.

I bought do-it-yourself compost storage cage kits from Bunnings to create the play pen (higher than store bought dog play pens, as sturdy as dog proof fencing and substantially cheaper than both!) and have secured these to the railings with zip ties so that I can take it down later as needed. I leave him with his kongs and a few toys (that I rotate regularly).

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_compost-bin-storage-cage_P3160000.aspx?search=compost&searchType=any&searchSubType=products
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Mon May 20 2013, 12:16

Thank you everyone for your advice and constructive 'criticism'.

I understand that we all love our dogs and want whats best for them, but we also want whats best for other peoples dogs too, so i havent taken to heart when people have gotten a little 'upset' about Lou being in her crate all day.

We have had a lovely 3 days, where she has been out of her crate all day, and we have been for some lovely walks.

I have ordered a letter box basket, and we are staffy proofing the living room, so literally in 2 days time she will be out of her crate all day. It is still not ideal as she still isnt going to get out through the day, but at least she isnt locked up.

We don't have a garden big enough to put a run in, or pen, plus the garden is facing the street, we dont have a back garden. My husband is going to try to get home through the day to let her out, but this isnt going to be always possible, but some days are better than none.

Thanks x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 12:18

Mrs McFisher wrote:My husband is going to try to get home through the day to let her out, but this isnt going to be always possible, but some days are better than none.

Thanks x

Absolutely! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Mon May 20 2013, 12:21

Thanks Caryll x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Mon May 20 2013, 14:43

Can't add much to what's been said but re her hypoallergenic food. I have Bacchus on Eden Complete which is holistic as well as hypoallergenic. ( He doesn't have any problems, just that it came out tops in a WHICH survey ). But we have a Siamese cat who has allergy problems and Eden are launching a cat food in June and I can't wait to try our cat on it as Bacchus is doing so well with it.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 20 2013, 17:24

Don't feel too guilty for leaving your Staff for a few hours at home. Your dog will get used to it and I like to think that Rupes feels he is protecting the home while I'm away. He certainly doesn't get stressed about it any more. Loves a good long (all day) sleep.

Crating is fine at the beginning for practice but long term... well, I'm excited for little Louby. It's obvious that you think she is amazing. She will pay you back in spades (but chew up some shoes in the meantime).
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Mon May 20 2013, 17:52

Thanks Rupertsbooks, she is definitely not stressed out in the crate, on the odd occasion she will take herself in there for a snooze while we are in. But I do agree with everyone that's its not ideal, so we are working to rectify the situation.

We do love her so much, even my husband is pleased we have her now!!!
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 10:41

Well, wish us luck, today is the first day Lou is being left out of her crate, the room has been cleared, the basket is on the letter box, the cushions are away..her toys are out, her Kong wobbler is full...
Sat at work thinking 'omg omg!', but whats the worse that can happen? she could have a wee or a poo, thats fine, thats clears up. x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 10:57

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 10:58

Good Luck Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 10:59

Thanks, i shall keep you posted. x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 23 2013, 11:04

Let us know how it goes.

BTW I absolutely agree with Annie and Maxi. You don't need to justify yourself to anyone. You are trying your best in a far from ideal situation and Louby is very lucky to have a loving home. My wife and I have travelled extensively and seen how badly domestic animals are treated in some other countries. Thousands of dogs would love to have a home as "bad" as Louby has.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 12:00

Thank you Reuben.
She really is loved, so much. I would love to be home with ehr all day everyday, as im sure everyone does...x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 23 2013, 13:09

Hope it goes OK, fingers crossed Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Thu May 23 2013, 13:17

Good luck! Hope it all goes well! Smile
If not, don't feel disheartened, it might take some time!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 13:20

Thanks. I'm totally not expecting her to have been perfect today, she has time to kill, so it's tough. I won't be angry at her xxx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 23 2013, 14:10

Mrs McFisher wrote:Thank you Reuben.
She really is loved, so much. I would love to be home with ehr all day everyday, as im sure everyone does...x

I'm in the fortunate position of being retired so can spend pretty much every waking hour with Bacchus. I work 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon and have, on occassion forgotten to put Bacchus in his crate. Each time when I got home he had gone in by himself and was asleep when I returned, so she may surprise you.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 15:22

Wish i had a webcam so i could see. Although if she is then being naughty, there isnt much i could do about it - unless, i get one where its 2 way sound, so i could sit at work, 'Louby no', Louby leave' or 'good girl'....
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 15:29

Bacchus is a lucky boy..x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu May 23 2013, 15:43

Wish i had a webcam so i could see.

I have been known to use Skype. A friend calls me, I leave the flat and he tells me what the dog is doing. I don't do it any more as Rupert no longer destructive.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 15:48

I do think it would be interesting (or heartbreaking) to watch what they get up to.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 19:01

Yay, got home and everything was perfect. No mess, nothing chewed, no toilet. She's a good girl. Big kisses n cuddles.
Tomorrow is another day though dum dum duuuuum.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:08

Aww fab news, well done louby Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 23 2013, 19:09

That is some progress made there well done Louby
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:13

That's brilliant news!

She might still have the occasional 'moment' but that's real progress! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 19:32

Thanks everyone. We are very pleased with her. Xx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:34

You should be pleased with yourself as well! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 19:42

Thanks Caryll. We will get there. Another 3 day weekend again this week too x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 23 2013, 20:08

Brilliant, great news thumbs up
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 23 2013, 20:21

Mrs McFisher wrote:Bacchus is a lucky boy..x

No, I'm the lucky one. He is the fourth dog I have shared my life with but the first staffie and never known such a loving wee dog or so many cuddles. He's a real sweetheart.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu May 23 2013, 21:24

have just read all the posts on this and can empathise with you somewhat.
what i first got marley i worked from home alot so when i went out he was crated for an hour or two max. then my job changed so that I had to be in the office more, crating him for that ammount of time would have driven him insane not to mention his howling driving the neighbours nuts.
I also "dog proofed" the house and bit the bullet, it was a nightmare for a while, i lost most of my sofa, coffee table, house plants gone to house plant heaven but what made the diff was a long morning walk.
I hate mornings and so do both my dogs, and i mean marley realy hates getting up before 12. but I dragged his sorry hairy backside out for an hour instead of 15mins before work and the chewing and mischief stopped pretty much over night. when i got laska she just fitted into the schedual when she was old enough and now I have an almost clean house when i get home... I give up lunch 3 times a week to drive home to be with them for 20 mins and that helps also.
Over the last few months things have been good but even then i came home monday and thought i had been burgled as the sofa was blocking the living room door.... seems one of them had found a long lost coconut behind the sofa and dragged the sofa four foot to get to the coconut Surprised dog ownership is not all plain sailing so dont give up if she has a little mishap although I dont think you will with your commitment. best of luck mate >Big Grin<
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 23 2013, 21:34

Nathan, that was a lovely post, thanks.
I honestly will not be mad at her should she do wrong as I know it's not her fault, although it will be frustrating. I keep thinking that in a couple of years she might calm down about, although I don't want to wish her life away.
I do walk her for nearly an hour in the mornings, and same again when I get in. If I went home at lunch I would literally be home 10 mins, the rest of my hour is spent driving. I work through my lunch on Fridays to finish work an hour early, I tried for the whole week, but my boss was having none of it x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu May 23 2013, 21:51

if anything you will have something to talk and laugh about. i get you on the drive home at lunch, sometimes i get held up and only have 5 mins and wonder if its worth it...in honesty prop not for that ammount of time but for me its hit and miss so mostley its 20 mins.
it sounds like you have got off to a great start today, just expect a few "mishaps" in the future if im being honest with you. just dont get despondant about it. she will sleep more and more as she relaxes.
I just love your persistance and willingness to try anything, good on you.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri May 24 2013, 09:22

I would be more bothered by the fact that she would be all giddy that im home, but then i leave 10 mins later, and she would be all deflated...
There was lots of her hair right in the corner of the sofa, so i think she probably spent most of her time sleeping in that spot.
I have put bits of apple in her kong wobbler today, as well as her kibble, should keep her occupied for a while. she loves apple.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by byrnezy Fri May 24 2013, 10:30

Although being in the cage all day may not be the most ideal lifestyle I believe you have done the dog a great favour, by sparing it's life. Obviously it's previous owners were not interested and a dog pound could of seen anything become of her. I commend you and I think you are doing a wonderful job, a pat on the back is well deserved. Do not be to hard on yourself Smile
byrnezy
byrnezy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Asterix
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri May 24 2013, 10:33

Thank you, i do believe she is having a good life with us, it could be better, but i think most people would believ that of themselves. She is much loved, she rules my life and i like it.

Your avatar pic is just gorgeous. Louby is all white with just a brindle patch over her right eye and ear. xx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri May 24 2013, 19:21

Well for the 2nd day she has been a good girl. No mess whatsoever. I finished work early and we went to my brothers and she played with his staffy for an hour. Yay!
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 19:34

Woohoo way to go louby Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri May 24 2013, 20:29

Mrs McFisher wrote:Well for the 2nd day she has been a good girl. No mess whatsoever. I finished work early and we went to my brothers and she played with his staffy for an hour. Yay!

Told you she'd surprise you.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu May 30 2013, 13:26

Good news, it has been a week now, and she has been good every day that we have been to work,. Not chewed anything, not been to the toilet...makes me a little guilty that i didnt let her out before now, but hey ho, no point dwelling on that. She is proving to be a very good girl.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 30 2013, 13:28

Excellent news thumbs up Thanks for the update,so pleased Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Thu May 30 2013, 13:30

Really glad to hear it is going so well!! Great job!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 30 2013, 14:39

You were right not to give her her freedom too soon. If she was a chewer not only could she have done serious damage to your home but could have injured herself by chewing something dangerous such as an electricity cable.

Looks like you have got yourself a lovely companion.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri Sep 20 2013, 14:23

Just to update you on how things are going with Lou and how she was in her crate all day while we were at work...

She is now out of her crate every day, she is mostly well behaved. She still sleeps in it though, but its now her cosy bed.

I have got a new job where I will be around a lot more (its not 9-5 anymore), including the fact that every 2 weeks I will have to work the weekend, which hubby is home on weekends, but then I get 2 days off through the week. So on a few days out of the 2 weeks she will be left a maximum of 5 hours, which is a huge improvement on the 8 hours, 5 days a week before. Plus I should be able to call home within that time.

So all in all it should benefit Louby greatly. x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next