feel so bad...

3 posters

Go down

feel so bad... Empty feel so bad...

Post by Ticklymac Wed May 01 2013, 19:24

My friend popped up to see me an she's not so keen on dogs so just to get sum peace we went into kitchen an a shut over the babygate. The two of them sat on the other side lookin very sad but worst of all Leroy was cryin very loudly so as my friend altho not a dog lover is very understandin i took this as an opportunity to do some trainin. Just sayin quiet wasnt enough, so i then introduced the pet corrector spray (diesels mortal enemy) but Leroy was totally unresponsive to it! But i felt so bad coz Diesel looked so worried an confused coz she didnt know what she was doin wrong to warrant the horrid hissin noise! An eventually went an curled up in her bed. So since the pet corrector wasnt workin a decided to try puttin Leroy in the livingroom an shuttin the door, therefore shuttin him out more for his behaviour. He cried more when i put him but when he went quiet i let him out, then when i sat back down an he started cryin i put him back in the living room. Was very impressed with how quickly his cryin reduced but continued this process until he was totally quiet. All in all it only took 10mins for him to just go an lie down! Was súper impressed!!
Sadly tho poor wee Diesel didnt know what was happenin an looked so sad an confused!! :-( am sure its probs best to train Leroy when she isnt around but my oh wasn't in so just had to make do! I hope she isnt too confused tho
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

feel so bad... Empty Re: feel so bad...

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 19:28

I use the "time out" technique you used too with Logan, it works well, though it can take patience.

I really don't like those sprays personally.

But well done that you got it sorted Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed May 01 2013, 19:36

It does get harder with multiples. You might have to separate them more to train. I know mine are all different and need different things. I always use their name first followed by a correction (I say their name in my "correcting" voice). The others eventually learn that they aren't in trouble but often come to check just to make sure I give them affirmation.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed May 01 2013, 19:37

I only use the pet corrector spray when out on walks and would only then use it if another dog gets too grumpy with Rocky. I dont like using it really. Glad you found something else that works for you.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 19:41

Glad you got it sorted, it really is the best method of training. "Punishment" methods such as sprays etc don't do anything but enforce that a sound is bad, so if he heard that sound out in the world, he would associate it with something bad. I would throw it out immediately!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 19:42

Best to train them separately. I find it hard when both of them are there plus if you shut one out they are crying for the other one!Last time I did a session with Lola I had sent Lily out for a walk with my daughter Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed May 01 2013, 19:43

MatLogan wrote:I use the "time out" technique you used too with Logan, it works well, though it can take patience.

I really don't like those sprays personally.

But well done that you got it sorted Smile

If i'm honest i'm not big on the spray either and tried absolutely everything else with Diesel before i bought it, but if im honest i was amazed at how well it worked, she only needed one hiss and she stopped the behaviour for good, and now i only reach for it in extreme circumstances and just reachin for the bottle is enough for her to realise "oh cr*p she must be serious" and stop.
Leroy didn't even flinch with it though.
"time out" technique is def one of the best for training though, with other behaviours ie/toe bitin as a pup walking out the room was the worst thing you could do to her - tryin to send her out for a time out or grab her for time out just made situ worse so soon realised me walkin out had same effect
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Wed May 01 2013, 19:47

Chiara wrote:Best to train them separately. I find it hard when both of them are there plus if you shut one out they are crying for the other one!Last time I did a session with Lola I had sent Lily out for a walk with my daughter Big Grin

Yeah usually i get my oh to sit with Diesel when i'm working with Leroy, but sadly he was out and i had 2 options either 1) just sit and listen to him constantly cryin/howlin and try talk over it or 2) let him in the kitchen and well i really didnt want to do the later as that would just encourage the bad behaviour.
Diesel seems fine tho, i gave her lots of love and assurance that she was a good girl an explained the situ to her lol ( i realise she most probably didnt understand what i was sayin but it lessened my guilt an she loved the attention)
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down