Should I be worried?

5 posters

Go down

Should I be worried? Empty Should I be worried?

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 00:51

Well I don't want to sound rude but dragons poops have been jet black since I changed his food, not sure if I should stop feeding him that food or if it's normal?
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried? Empty Re: Should I be worried?

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 07:29

Did you change all at once or gradually?

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 08:32

4 days since he seemed to like it and be fine then his poo went black...
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 09:24

Could it be the colouring or something? Ebonys old food was a lot lighter than the one she's one now, and her number twos changed colour! Not drastically but they definitely changed, her old food was a sandy colour and this is almost black... Mind I'm still changing her over kinda since I mixed the last of her old food into the top of the new food bag so she gets different amounts of old and new. It may just be his stomach getting used to it as well, just keep with it and see how he goes. If he looks in pain while he's going to the toilet or anything like that I'd think about changing it Smile I don't think I'd worry too much since it's probably just the transaction of the new food kicking in but I'm sure you'll get some better answers on here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 13:17

Personally Eukanuba didn't do very well with my Logan at all, and I took him off it as soon as possible. Binned most of the bag. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 14:35

MatLogan wrote:Personally Eukanuba didn't do very well with my Logan at all, and I took him off it as soon as possible. Binned most of the bag. Sad
How come it didn't do good? He didn't like it or made him ill?
He's lost a bit of weight because he doesn't like hard food at all, I'm starting to see his ribs a lot and his back near his back legs is going thinner... I'm just waiting till he gets use to eating it so he starts putting on weight again.

I'm going take him to the vets on Friday for a check up and see if there's anything wrong with him...
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 14:43

He just didn't like it at all, didn't agree with him when going to the toilet either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon May 13 2013, 15:40

Is it dry or just dark? Just dark wouldn't worry me too much if the food is dark. Dry or really hard might mean he is having trouble digesting it.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 15:49

The colour alone could just be due to certain ingredients in the food. As Ben said, it's the texture and consistency that matters. If you can't tell by looking, you may (as unpleasant as it sounds) have to have a feel of the poo. Better safe than sorry!

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 18:19

Oh thanks, well my girlfriend does the job of picking it up she just said that most of his poo was soft and one of it was hard...

So I shouldn't be worried?
As well sometimes he eats his food but most of the time he sniffs it and walks away, I tried lifting the food up after 10 to 15 minutes and give it to him on his next feeding, he would do the same... It hasn't worked and its been a while and he's losing weight and not eating no where near as much as he should, I always give him a long walk playing fetch before feeding so he's tired and hungry but still the same...
What should I do?
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon May 13 2013, 18:45

Do you leave some time in between coming back from a walk and feeding ?, ideally this gap should be of about 1 half - 2 hours.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 20:23

I don't know anything about Eukanuba I'm afraid, but when Kuchar was on HiLife Complete Moist Mince, which has colouring in it, his poo was almost red!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 20:31

TBH it's not the best food so perhaps it's not agreeing with him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 20:39

Eukanuba , whatever it is like is quite a controversial food anyway because of the testing methods , but aren't I right in saying 1 or 2 people on here are trying it just because someone from France with a nice looking dog uses it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 20:42

Dave wrote:Eukanuba , whatever it is like is quite a controversial food anyway because of the testing methods , but aren't I right in saying 1 or 2 people on here are trying it just because someone from France with a nice looking dog uses it

yep they are! and it really is a low quality food at that

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 21:10

Dave wrote:Eukanuba , whatever it is like is quite a controversial food anyway because of the testing methods , but aren't I right in saying 1 or 2 people on here are trying it just because someone from France with a nice looking dog uses it
I was about to change his food anyway and decided to give it a go, not only because of the way his/her dog looked, but mostly because I wanted him on dry food Smile
I think the food was way to dry for him since he's not use to eating it dry food, I out just a bit of his old food in, hardly any, he went straight to it and eat everything even the dry food and there was loads Smile if he doesn't get on well with this food when the bag finishes I might try something else, what would the best dry food be in your eyes? I don't want a food with to much fat in only because I don't want him to be looking on the porky side Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 21:19

I might buy arden grange dog food next time, does it seem like a good food or is there better? Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 13 2013, 21:45

DragonTheStaffie wrote:I might buy arden grange dog food next time, does it seem like a good food or is there better? Smile

I just changed my girl onto Arden Grange! She's had no problems with it and I've noticed a big difference in her, she's gettin more toned (whether it's cause she's getting older or the food I don't know Laughing), her coat is a lot softer and it's always been super soft and she doesn't do her business as much either and it's a lot healthier looking too! I'm personally really happy with it, someone else just changed their dog onto it too and their dog thrives on it also Smile it's not too badly priced, I'd try and get the big bite kibble though if he normally eats fast as it's really small and ebony just inhales it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Mon May 13 2013, 21:53

If he was my dog I would take him to the Vet. He should not be losing weight.
Black stools can be sign of internal bleeding and should be investigated,
especially if the poo is extra smelly. Iron is another thing that can make poo
black, but I doubt you are giving him iron.

Maybe its the food, but you sound concerned and its better to be safe than sorry.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Mon May 13 2013, 23:14

CodlingKid wrote:
DragonTheStaffie wrote:I might buy arden grange dog food next time, does it seem like a good food or is there better? Smile

I just changed my girl onto Arden Grange! She's had no problems with it and I've noticed a big difference in her, she's gettin more toned (whether it's cause she's getting older or the food I don't know Laughing), her coat is a lot softer and it's always been super soft and she doesn't do her business as much either and it's a lot healthier looking too! I'm personally really happy with it, someone else just changed their dog onto it too and their dog thrives on it also Smile it's not too badly priced, I'd try and get the big bite kibble though if he normally eats fast as it's really small and ebony just inhales it Smile
Big bite kibble? I went on their website and all it says is like adult food or puppy food etc Laughing
If you give me the link to the one you feed your dog I'd appreciate it, I've heard good things about it from loads of people so might as well try it and its basically the same price as the food he's getting now so it's ok Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 08:30

I saw that topic about the stunning dog on Eukanuba, and I can assure you it's because the owner puts her heart and soul into her dog. The food has a very small part to play with the shape of that dog.

I don't like that food at all tbh, I stupidly bought a big 15kg bag and ended up throwing 3/4 of it in the bin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue May 14 2013, 11:20

I personally haven't had many positive experiences with Eukanuba either.. I feed the majority of my kennel dogs on Arden Grange though, and they all seem to do well on it Smile If he doesn't like dry food you could try soaking it with a little bit of warm water. Or giving a tiny fork full of meat to coat the biscuits and encourage him to eat.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Tue May 14 2013, 12:45

Rachel33 wrote:I personally haven't had many positive experiences with Eukanuba either.. I feed the majority of my kennel dogs on Arden Grange though, and they all seem to do well on it Smile If he doesn't like dry food you could try soaking it with a little bit of warm water. Or giving a tiny fork full of meat to coat the biscuits and encourage him to eat.
Oh that's good advice I didn't know I could soak it in water thanks I will try that. Smile

Also Matt, the owner puts a lot of effort on her dog and that's why it's in great shape and I knew that when I bought the food, but the diet of the dog is also a lot important and does help a bit, I do walk Dragon a lot and he has massive runs for hours, although I doubt I walk it or whatever as much as the other person mostly because of the weather or else I'd be out all day Laughing I bought a small bag lucky me, because I knew he is a very fussy eater so I wanted to try it, once it's finished I shall buy another food... Well buying it on Thursday but takes time to get here etc so by the time it gets here this bag should be nearly gone Smile hopefully he will do better on the next dry food Smile
The ONLY reason I bought this food was because I did think it was a good quality food not because of that woman's dog, I think people take me the wrong way when I said I bought this food, I did not buy it so Dragon could look like that dog I bought because I thought it was good quality now I know it's not the best so I shall get another food instead. Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 18:43

problem is Joe is E is a poor quality food and the company is dodgy at best.

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Tue May 14 2013, 19:58

ella wrote:problem is Joe is E is a poor quality food and the company is dodgy at best.
Didn't know, don't know how to check if its good or not lol but I will be changing don't worry Smile
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14 2013, 20:00

Sometimes it takes a while to get that 'right' food for your dog. Once you find it, though, stick to it! Big Grin

Oh, and don't worry about talking about poo - happens all the time on here! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down