Personality in a puppy...

4 posters

Go down

Personality in a puppy...  Empty Personality in a puppy...

Post by Sera Fri May 10 2013, 22:33

I've noticed Nitro isn't very cuddly. Obviously (as explained before) he hates being picked up. But also, he prefers solitude of his crate, to a human cuddle. I'm really struggling with this guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the little fella. I love him to bits... But, his growling when being picked up, his chosen isolation from the family, and the fact even when new people enter the room (he doesn't care, or get even a little excited) IS starting to worry me a touch.

I've also explained before that he's 20% inbred (which I did not know, before I joined this forum). A mistake I'd never make again. My parents had a Staffy when I was younger, he never acted like this. In fact the opposite Crying or Very sad.

Is it due to inbreeding? Or am I personally doing something wrong? I've been very firm, when he growls I hold on to him and tell him "Don't!" He does stop, eventually. But not without a fight...

I've stopped all 'command training' at the moment. To concentrate on behaviour training... Being held, touched etc...

Be honest please, would he be better suited to a family without children? They do say some dogs are. I have five, ages 7, 9, 10, 11 & 13. They are fantastic with the dog. Never tease... But he growls whilst biting their clothes, and as much as they say a firm "NO," he will NOT let go...

Sorry to be a pain...

doh

Sera
Sera
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nitro
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Personality in a puppy...  Empty Re: Personality in a puppy...

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 22:36

As said, the growling is sometimes playful (for example when tugging on clothes) and sometimes stubbornness. Loki's not inbred, he's a cross from two unregistered dogs, but he was very boring and non-affectionate when he was a puppy. He wanted to bite and that was it. Literally, all he'd do is bite and play, no cuddles, ever. He calmed down a bit more and would allow a few minutes of stroking and it grew from there. Once he's out walking, burning off all the energy, and he's out of the biting, growling and chewing phase, he'll calm a bit more and realise cuddles are lovely. Some are more independent than others, but at that age it's easy for them to shun affection simply because all they want to do is play.

Loki was like you describe Nitro as being, and he's the clingiest dog ever, so don't worry Smile he just has a lot of growing up to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 22:39

Has he been to a vet? I find a lot of pups don't take too well to being picked up but he may be in pain. Has he been wormed? What is he being fed? is he toileting regularly?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 10 2013, 22:43

Give it time, some aren't quick learners! Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 22:45

Oh, and here is a link to a topic I made ages ago because it was the first time Loki had lied on me and been affectionate without trying to chew me and bite me Laughing this was three months after we got him, so you see it's not just you Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t24912-yay-cuddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Fri May 10 2013, 22:48

Hayley wrote:Has he been to a vet? I find a lot of pups don't take too well to being picked up but he may be in pain. Has he been wormed? What is he being fed? is he toileting regularly?

He's going tomorrow, but has been prior... As he had he's tests and first jabs, before I even took him home. He's on Beta, but I'm gently trying to change that to a better quality food (Arden Granger). He toilets loads lol!
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 10 2013, 22:52

Tara wrote:Oh, and here is a link to a topic I made ages ago because it was the first time Loki had lied on me and been affectionate without trying to chew me and bite me Laughing this was three months after we got him, so you see it's not just you Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t24912-yay-cuddles

I remember! How you guys have come on Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 22:53

loads as in runny loads?

Like said, some just don't get it as fast. Some males can be a bit "try it on" too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Fri May 10 2013, 22:53

janey wrote:

Give it time, some aren't quick learners! Xx

Oh, I am Smile. I just don't want to do wrong, by him. If he's suited better to a children free family... It's not as hard now. But could be later on, as the breeder would find it easier to find a loving home for him now? I don't want this to happen, obviously. I love my little devil. But if he's struggling with human connection/touch... Then my house will make him miserable Sad.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Fri May 10 2013, 22:56

Hayley wrote:loads as in runny loads?

Like said, some just don't get it as fast. Some males can be a bit "try it on" too!

No firm, actually.

Going to vets tomorrow... I'm going to ask her advice.

My parents Staffy, was so cute! Loved cuddles, you could pick him up like a baby. Nitro struggles with touch, at all Sad.
Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 23:00

It really is impossible to tell how he will be later on. My lexi was a lap dog and now she loves cuddles but if you stop petting her she will wander off and not really care about you again. He is maybe just overwhelmed.

Is your house busy?

No two dogs are the same, so unfortunately there is no use comparing Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sera Fri May 10 2013, 23:19

Hayley wrote:It really is impossible to tell how he will be later on. My lexi was a lap dog and now she loves cuddles but if you stop petting her she will wander off and not really care about you again. He is maybe just overwhelmed.

Is your house busy?

No two dogs are the same, so unfortunately there is no use comparing Sad

Yes busy house, but my kids are very calm around my pup. He's not a lap dog... Straight Face

But I love his little in dependant self anyway...

Maybe not so much the growling tho Sad.

Sera
Sera

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 23:22

It really is quite common. Just continue with a firm no, and let him do what he wants. When he gets bigger he will most likely want to play more Smile its very tiring being a pup Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 23:23

Once he realises how nice it is, he'll come around. He might like his space more than others, but at the moment he just sees you all as play things Laughing once he learns affection is nice too, he'll be more cuddly. Honestly, Loki used to be exactly like you describe Nitro, so don't think he's going to be an independent dog just yet, let him grow first Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Fri May 10 2013, 23:27

Chiquito does not have a COI as high as Nitro and he does all of the things you are talking about - so I really do not think that this has anything to do with the behaviour.

Chiquitoo is not a huge cuddler unless he is in the mood for it and will often take himself off to do his own thing rather than stay with the people - I just let him be, he needs his own space the same as everyone else Smile I will also say that if the house is particularly busy or noisy he will move to his own room or ask to go to bed .. I think it gets too overwhelming for him and he just needs a little time out to deal with it - this is a desirable behaviour and I follow his cue on it.

In regards to the growling etc, as I discussed on one of the previous posts about this, Chiquito is a growler as well - but it has calmed down over time ... 5 weeks and counting!

He also grabs hold of clothes and growls - it is like a tug-o-war game for him and once he starts he finds it really hard to stop. It results in his being given time out ... often two or three times in a row until he can come out and actually not start again.

I know you are concerned and want the best for Nitro - I do think that you are worrying about some normal puppy behaviours that will take time to go though Smile He is obviously very well loved and cared for, so I am sure Nitro and your family are going to have many happy years ahead of you Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 08:30

I'm sure it'll all come good with training & patience, darcy loves snuggles but even she likes her own space Smile good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 08:55

Big Grin I'm sure he will come around in time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 09:24

Can't help but notice you seem a little fixated by the high COI thing and TBH you really shouldn't be, or to say now you have him you shouldn't let it worry you . All dogs are very different with their own personalities and this will come out in time . If you have a pup that is quiet it isn't really a bad thing , he's just learning his way around you and your family.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat May 11 2013, 09:33

some dog just dont like cuddles Wink i cant pick up my billie she a right grumpy dogs but Nitro is a pup dont worry to much

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 10:19

1 fact that is 100% is Nitro is a little stunner , so I imagine it is hard to resist the cuddles. I think I have said before that Tommy was very independent as a pup and used to growl a lot on another one of your posts . He was far more interested in Tilly than us . I used to just sit with his crate open stroking him to sleep , not cuddling him . Tilly is the soppy one and just loves a snuggle. When Tommy was fully awake he was always jumpy and nippy and still does jump and grab when he is hyper but gradually he is growing out of this and training some sit , stay is the way forward , your body language when he growls will show a lot too , just stay relaxed and ignore him , your kids are more than old enough to understand and all be on the same side with the training . Strokes and treats are positive and let him come to you , any nipping then just ignore him for a while but it all takes time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 10:32

Don't worry his behaviour and choice to be alone is nothing to do with COI. Sometimes my Logan wants to be alone and will leave the room or cry if people annoy him.

Just let him have his space and enjoy your gorgeous pup. Don't worry anymore about it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 16:32

Aww, hun, don't stress about it!

He's still very young & he'll come round, you'll see!

Some dogs like to pick their own time for cuddles & won't want too much in that way until their mature & more sure of themselves. Just keep up the training and give him the space he needs. As long as he's lively, eating & drinking well then he'll be right in the end!

group hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down