Cesar Millan

4 posters

Go down

Cesar Millan Empty Cesar Millan

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19 2011, 22:52

Sorry, but this topic is doing the rounds on all forums in the world. Forgive me if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

Do you love him or hate him + why ?

Caryll I know your view Laughing Laughing Laughing

What about everyone else?

Back to top Go down

Cesar Millan Empty Re: Cesar Millan

Post by janey Sat Mar 19 2011, 22:55

Never watched him, only know what is posted here really and I wasn't impressed to say the least!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 19 2011, 23:11

janey wrote:Never watched him, only know what is posted here really and I wasn't impressed to say the least!

Can I ask why? What in particular don't you like? Have you watched any of the tv programmes?

Nothing other than I'm intrigued as to why people do/n't like him + why. I've asked for a poll on BBO, there's such a massive diversity in what peoples' views are.

My own view is I don't agree with all of his methods, but do with others.

Please don't think I'm being argumentative, but how can you say you weren't impressed if you haven't even watched any of the programmes?

xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 19 2011, 23:26

There was a post on here quite recently shown where he kicked a dog to try and train it. I'm sorry I don't agree with that at all, training is a personal thing but I personally don't class that as a deterant more a reactant.

I don't doubt he gets results in some cases but its certainly not a method I would ever use. I know how pig headed bull breeds are, but there are better ways to train then make a dog affraid of you, I would rather mine trusted me.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 19 2011, 23:30

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Sun Mar 20 2011, 01:28

I only watch it if there's something on it that interests me like the other night there was one about a dog that is trained to detect mobile phones in jails but was so skittish of people loud noises etc they couldn't take him in to jails. Other than that no i don't watch his show. I find him like the Super Nanny- telling u things that most people already know(the supernanny tells u all these things like she invented them whereas parents & childcare workers have been doing them for years before she came along).
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Cesar Millan Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 09:04

I think there is no doubt that CM knows how dogs work and behave and understands them. You have to remember most dogs that are on his show are not on it cos they get too excited when they play fetch these dogs allot of the time are close to having being PTS if something doesn't improve.
I think if he got to take the dog home and spend time 1-1 then he would be able to sort the dog. But and this is where I think the problem is. He has become famous, has more dogs than he can cope with and is expected to achieve results straight away. He ends up doing things like kicking dogs, shocking them far too much etc just so he can get what looks like on the surface a great result, which is more likely to end up causing more harm than good.
I just think with fame his life has become more out of control and he has too much to do. If he went back to just owning 1 dog and he spent all this spare time after a full time job with that dog. I have no doubt he would make that dog balanced without silly methods

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 15:38

The Dog Whisperer is on over here 6 nights a week on free to air tv. I had never watched it because it was always on pay tv, so I have been watching most episodes. But then when I read about him kicking a dog.. I was shocked and quite disgusted. I didn't get to see the clip as it was removed from youtube ( convenient ) but now when I do watch him, the thought of him being cruel to a dog is always at the back of my mind...and he is not high up in my opinion anymore like he was! I do like Victoria Stillwell.. It's Me Or The Dog.. I love watching that show ! ( and I like to think that she would never kick a dog! )

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Mar 20 2011, 18:07

I have to agree with bluestaff on this one Big Grin
I have watched a few by all means not all and ive only seen the kick as is put done on dogs showing aggression I dont feel its a kick its more of a tap.
I seen one program were they had 2 pit bulls and they kept fighting he really seem to know his stuff the owners didnt know were to turn and he seperated them easily no break sticks not collar twisting he was calm and efficient. Ive also seen were he has helped nervous dogs face there fears which was good too .
My input is he knows about how the dog is thinking and the physcology of the dog so I have to say hes not all bad I know you cant always beleive tv but when you see the dogs at the physcology centre they all look balanced happy and healthy so I dont beleive he is cruel whatsoever
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 19:51

I'm not really a fan. I think he has some good methods, but uses way too much force. What people tell me is, "It's not a kick, it's a 'tap' to snap the dogs out of 'the zone.'" Really? Would it be ok for him to "tap" your kids that hard to get them out of "the zone" when they are misbehaving?

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Mar 20 2011, 21:32

CatStina wrote:I'm not really a fan. I think he has some good methods, but uses way too much force. What people tell me is, "It's not a kick, it's a 'tap' to snap the dogs out of 'the zone.'" Really? Would it be ok for him to "tap" your kids that hard to get them out of "the zone" when they are misbehaving?
No certinely not but then the people that go to him know his methods and choose to have him train there dogs so its a choice they have taken. Dont think I would ever use him on any of my dogs thats my choice, im just adding to the debate my thoughts Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 22:04

Sure, it's their choice, but I feel for their dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 22:33

Thanks everyone, it's really interesting. My own view is that he's better with some breeds than others. There's no denying that bull breeds need a firm hand, + for those that were going to be pts that he saved I commend him.

But I also absolutely agree that other breeds need something different. Victoria Stilwell with a full on testosterone fuelled entire male isn't going to do it for me ( I know calm down boys Laughing Laughing Laughing ) just like CM with anything other than a bull breed at deaths door skull

We all have different views, + thank the Lord for cracking forums like this to enable us to air them Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Mar 20 2011, 22:36

Be a boring world if we all agreed Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 22:38

janey wrote:Be a boring world if we all agreed Big Grin

It would but I'm fast getting round to thinking it would make life sooooo much easier Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 22:55

janey wrote:Be a boring world if we all agreed Big Grin

I disagree Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 00:35

zetstaff wrote: for those that were going to be pts that he saved I commend him.

Agreed, there was one dog that was going to be PTS and he saved the dog without kicking or doing anything that inflicted pain on the dog (or at least they didn't show it in the ep). He really does well with last chance dogs. I can see going to him if it was a matter of life and death and all else had failed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 16:36

I know you said not me, but I just thought I'd add a bit.

It isn't that I think he doesn't 'connect' with dogs - he certainly has a way with them & I'm sure he loves them. My problem with him is threefold;

1. I don't like the methods he uses which are based on outdated & discredited modes of training
2. I don't like the fact that he is often very secretive about his methods - he rarely admits to using e-collars, prong collars etc, and (so rumour has it) was the person who got youtube to take down the vids of him kicking dogs.
3. He charges extortionate sums for his 'expertise' - $2000 per hour was the going rate.

I'm sure he has helped a lot of people, but only those who can afford a lot of money. You never hear about his failures, and there must be at least some.

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Mon Mar 21 2011, 17:34

Have you all noticed that CM is using more treats and positive methods in the past couple of years?

I watch both Victoria and CM and take what I think may work with the dogs. Take Emmy for example, I would never in a million years use most of CM techniques, it would destroy her and with some of the dogs at the shelter his techniques used in a non-forceful way work wonders. A little of this and a little of that.

25 years ago I was taught the same methods as CM was. It is old school. We now know better and different ways.
suzyq505
suzyq505
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Emma, Fritz, Tulip, Bean
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male, Female, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 18:15