Recommendations for staff proof crate pls...

4 posters

Go down

Recommendations for staff proof crate pls... Empty Recommendations for staff proof crate pls...

Post by woofledog81 Sun Mar 24 2013, 13:07

We've had our SBT bitch for month. She's 8 months old and suffers badly with seperation anxiety due to her past. We decided to use a large crate for her when we went out as she's smashed glass when stressing out along with other destruction. Our main concern being she hurts herself. Her first cage she managed to bend and snap bars off and get out (another concern that she may hurt herself on sharp edges) we now have a stronger one from pets at home but she's started work on that too. Is there any brand that is more suited to the breed?
Tia, michelle x

woofledog81
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for staff proof crate pls... Empty Re: Recommendations for staff proof crate pls...

Post by StuW Sun Mar 24 2013, 13:12

You can't just crate and hope the problem goes away. You need to solve the separation anxiety first! Leave her in a room or in her crate with the door closed and go out for 30 seconds and then go back in so she knows you will come back. Give treats and praise if she's quiet/undestructive. Gradually increase the amount of time your out the room, even going out the front door so she thinks your away out!

Someone who has dealt with SA will be able to give more methods etc. That's just the way I would deal with it if any of mine had SA!

My 2 have crates from Argos, I don't think there is different strength crates really.
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for staff proof crate pls... Empty Re: Recommendations for staff proof crate pls...

Post by goldie87 Sun Mar 24 2013, 13:17

Totally agree with Stuart, you have to solve the problem and not just expect an easy fix. She's most probably lashing out on the crate because of the SA, you need to get this out of her and help her associate the crate with a happy place, not a place of punishment or loneliness.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by woofledog81 Sun Mar 24 2013, 13:20

Thanks. We are doing the other methods too. And she happily sleeps in there with the door open

woofledog81

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24 2013, 14:45

As th others say crat won't fix problems just help some of them along , I have 2 crates and general construction seems to be the same ( 1 I bought used and 1 new from Argos) so don't think there is neccesarily high and low quality crates . If it's a real problem then you would have to get one hand made

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Mar 24 2013, 23:18

I would say there are high and low quality crates, the first one I purchased for Zeus was one from eBay, I was pretty disappointed with it because the wire that made the crate was really thin and there were sharp edges hanging out etc, I returned it straight away and got one from Pets At Home, the value black wire crate, which is much better quality, the wiring is thicker and general build quality is good. I've had two of them now and wouldn't recommend anything else.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by markeB Mon Apr 01 2013, 18:33

my dog has a crate,sleeps there door open ,only time hes shut in is when my bitch is in season and no ones around.but no dog staffy or otherwise should be left alone for prolonged periods.with mine if i or others arnt at home for extended time due to work etc my father will pop in to give them a break and garden time .the dog is like that because hes been left in a cage for prolonged periods hes got to see the crate as a nice place to be,his place put some toys there adn a few treats for him to lay there and chomp and leave the door open for a while @ 1st
markeB
markeB
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ellie and Leo
Dog Gender(s) : Ellie bitch leo dog
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by woofledog81 Tue Apr 02 2013, 17:11

Just an update. We've given up with it. She hurt herself escaping from it and I wasn't prepared to carry on with seething that distressed her to that point. Now, although we do come back to the odd bit of destruction it's nothing major. It tends to be more a collecting of items rather than chewing. She's also getting good at being left with no issues for longer periods and seems more relaxed as am I. I know a lot of dogs love their own little den but our Rosie prefers her comfy settee Smile. Thanks for all your help though

woofledog81

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:08

Glad to here she has settled down, and you both seem to have come to terms with her & her settee lol, im sure you will all be happier. darcy has a crate but has had it since her 1st night, it's good for some but not for others. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down