really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff

4 posters

Go down

really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff Empty really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 22:53

hello,i am very new to all this so please bare with me.
i have a bitch staff,shes 5yrs old and a very good dog.
she has always had other dogs living with her but 4months ago my dog died and it left her on her own,i thought she looked abit sad and lonely so decided to get her a companion.iv been looking for awhile and finally found the perfect pup.i thought i would get a pup so it can grow with her.i brought a pup home yesterday,a 9 week old staffy bitch,shes very calm and quiet but my cassie doesnt seem to be taking to her very well at the moment.she has growled at her afew times,she has gone for her a couple of times but hasnt bit her,it was more like a warning to leave her alone.
we did have a little break trough today and they did have a little play which was lovely to see but cassie kept mouthing her,nibbleing her ear and trying to pick her up by the scruff.we have been giving cassie lots of attention to show her shes not being replaced or pushed out but please if anyone has any advice for me i would be so happy as i really dont want to rehome the pup
thank you xxx
nina79
nina79
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : cassie / tia
Dog(s) Ages : 5 yrs / 13 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : bitch / bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff Empty Re: really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 22:57

How is the pup with her in general ?? does she give her some space ?? You need to develop some quiet time , do you put the pup in a crate ??

Back to top Go down

really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff Empty Re: really need help/advice on an adult staff living wiv a puppy staff

Post by steve76 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:02

i'd certainly go with the crate training for the pup as it also gives them some time apart and when you are not there there is the separation so no harm(god forbid)could happen
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:03

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, good luck and can't offer advice only had 1 at any time Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:08

For us we had the situation the other way round as Tommy wouldn't leave Tilly alone , however Tommy was crated on an evening and at times through the day and they are "almost" best buddies now though they will irritate each other at times. The crate is a haven for both the pup and the older dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:10

Can you find a little time to pop round and introduce yourself here

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

We are a nosey lot and would love to know a little more about you and we love pictures Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:11

i do have a crate for the pup and she gos in there when i go to bed and if i go out, i dont want anything bad to happen.
the pup is great,she doesnt invade cassies space,she will leave her alone and go lay down or do her own thing.i dont really have a prob with the pup its the adult one.if cassie doesnt want the pup near her she will walk away from her and move to another place in the room xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:14

So if Cassie doesn't hang around and the pup doesn't invade her space then how does the aggro start , is it over toys ?? food ??

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:16

would it be an idea to crate the pup for awhile in the day when im home to give cassie some space from her??
they are hard situations arnt they.
i have had alot of negitivity from ppl saying they will never get along and you will have to get rid of the pup,its quite upsetting xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:19

well if the pup does go upto her she may growl at her but i think mostly its us.if we are giving cas attention and the pup comes over then cas doesnt like it or if its the other way round.cas did go for her over some food yesterday.
xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:24

Firstly don't listen to other people unless they have some good experience. Yes it wouldn't hurt to force a little time out but just make sure pup is happy in the crate with toys and fun and doesn't see it as punishment . Cassie is probably jealous as they are a very devoted and loyal breed and up until now been used to older dogs and not a little thug puppy. Make sure Cassie knows she is still number 1 , try and encourage some gentle play in the garden like some tug and just monitor their body language. The best thing for us was when we started to walk them together that's when they really bonded . But to be perfectly honest they still have regular fall outs.

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:24

i also noticed today that at lunch time they seemed to be ok with eachother and even had a play but i did have to stop the pup biteing but tonight when i had my mum,sis n niece round cassies attitude seem to change abit. do you think she may be going for the pup for attention or something coz i was telling them how well they was at lunch time playing then cas was growling and trying to stay away from her xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:32

I've looked at this myself with our 2's behaviour . Generally they say have 1 of each and the bitch will normally come out as the boss. You have 2 bitches so they will both try their luck. Tilly went against the rules as she backed off as Tommy got bigger and let Tommy take the reins.
It would be interesting to see what your definition of aggression is with them as they do play very hard and do get very vocal . I was concerned this was aggression with our 2 but after asking various people including our good staffie friends on here we realised it was just play. They do fight properly from time to time and there is a noticeable difference between play and fight but only if you know the breed

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Tue Oct 09 2012, 23:49

thank you,i have tryed so hard today to find a site or person with some good advice for me. brill i will give the crate idea ago then and i will deff make sure shes a happy pup while she is in there coz i dont want her to think shes being pushed out either or that shes being punished.
we have thought that she is prob jealous coz it is a pup n pups want lots of attention but we have made sure that when we come in we make a fuss of cas before we even think of letting the pup out of the crate.while 1 person is cuddling,stroking,holding the pup we give cas cuddles and attention coz she is our baby and our no1 so we are trying to show her she will always be no1.she is very devoted and loyal,she is a great dog.
they did have a lil play in the garden today but just was running round and bouncing round the garden but i will get some bits for the garden for them and i will give that a try.its quite hard at times to monitor cassies body language coz she could be wagging her tail but then growl.
well i have got to get the pup her jabs so as soon as shes had them i will be taking them out together and i have been thinking about classes to see if that would help them xx

i have heard bout having 1 of each but cas really dont like male dogs so we thought we would try another girl.
yeah i thought the lil might try her luck when shes bit older but with cas being the oldest she will prob put her in her place but at the mo the pup is quite good,if cas comes near her she will sit down and she will let cas sniff her,nibble her,poke her with her nose etc and the pup wont do anything so hopfuly she will stay like that.
i guess it depends on the dogs and how you bring them up.
well i no how ruff cas can get when she plays as my friend used to bring her male staff around to play with cas and they could be very vocal and play hard but cas had to be the best so to speak,it was her way or noway.
It would be interesting to see what your definition of aggression is with them as they do play very hard and do get very vocal.i have seen the other side to cas as she got aggressive with my m8s dog,that i think is why she dont like males xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 05:15

Walks should help out alot. A crate or seperate room for the pup is a good idea as well. Also I would keep them seperate if you are not there to supervise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 05:52

Just keep at it and let us know how you get on , most important if you have any doubts is to supervise and separate , maybe if you could catch some of the action on video we can judge it better too ??

This might be an interesting read for you as well Smile

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Sun Nov 11 2012, 22:44

hi everyone,i am so sorry i havent managed to get back on.lost my internet for awhile and then had alot of probs with poor little tia,she almost died bless her but we hoping shes on the mend now xxxx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 22:51

Oh poor you and poor little Tia - what happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Mon Nov 12 2012, 00:41

thank you hun,oh it was horrible,we took her to have her injections and the vet said she could feel abit of a lump in her belly but she thought it could have been coz she was being sick due to being weened off her food so she said give it till her next injection and see how she gos.well as the days went on it seemed to get bigger so i took her back and they said she would need and xray n most prob an opp so they said get intouch with my pet cover which i did and they just messed me around and still are messing me around so i asked the vets how much it would cost to pay for it myself and she said £150 upwards for xray and £500 upwards for the opp,so i asked if i could pay this off but they wouldnt let me so i had to then try n find a vet that would,which i did n they booked her in that day which was good as i went out n came back to a livingroom full of blood from lil tia.so i rushed her down to the vets n they did the xrays n found 2 lumos inside of her n they said she needed an opp the next morning.so took her back n waited for them to call me,it turned out that her kidney was so enlarged it was taking up the whole of her insides,the vet said she had never seen 1 so big.she was in critical condition n we thought we was going to loose her but shes a strong lil thing and came out of it and shes not doing to badly at the mo.she has vets tomorrow for a check up so we hoping they going to give us good news.they have sent the kidney away to be looked at and they still got to keep an eye on her coz the other lump is still inside her as it was such a hard opp they didnt wanna take a chance taking the other 1 out at this time xxx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 00:52

Poor Tia I hope her check up goes well >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Mon Nov 12 2012, 00:57

thank you very much hun,i will post tomorrow how it gos xx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 19:47

OMG Nina what an awful experience, poor little Tia.

Positive vibes are being sent your way .....

We are all keeping our fingers crossed for you and your little girl

>Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:55

Oh dear , just caught up on this , hope little Tia will be ok big hugs from Tilly and Tommy >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin< Please keep us posted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 19:56

Hi Nina, how is Tia today?

Back to top Go down

Post by nina79 Fri Nov 23 2012, 00:37

Hi guys i am so so sorry i have not got back to you all as yet but its been a bad time for us,poor little had to be put to sleep Sad it was the most horrible thing iv ever had to do,i am so cut up about it.
this is what happened,over the course of the weekend i thought something was wrong with her as you could see she just wasnt herself,not playing,sleeping alot,crying,she had a cough that wasnt going away.i called the vet n they said her cough was most prob from where she had the tubes down her throut from her opp and she maybe abit down from her ordill,they said they would give her a check up on the monday as she was due in so they could see how she was healing.well we took her in n they could right away see something was wrong,she had lost weight n she listened to her chest n said she needs xrays coz it did sound right so we left her there while they did wot they needed to do n they gave us a time to call back. well sadly after a look at her xray it showed that she had over 50% of tumers in her body :'( there was nothing they could do for her,she hadnt even reached 15weeks bless her little heart,its so crul.im still upset and crying over her.she was my little baby.i hope she is no longer in pain now and resting well. my poor cassie is still looking for her,i think she can still smell her bless a,shes all mopy. xxx
nina79
nina79

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23 2012, 01:12

Again so sorry for your loss Sad Please feel free to post in our memorial forum about precious Tia

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f38-pet-memorial-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by naidean Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:41

Sorry to hear your sad news. big hugs x
naidean
naidean
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie, Star
Dog(s) Ages : 14months, 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 24 2012, 20:13

Oh God Nina, I'm SO sorry. I know exactly how you feel as we lost our dear little Trigger at just 12 weeks old and 5 months on I look at the few photos I took of him and still feel so sad at a little life cut short.

My only comfort, such as it is, with Trigger is that he was NEVER going to be well and we gave him the best life possible for the few days that we had him. And I feel the same for your little Tia, bless her.

Tia and Trigger will be running together at Rainbow Bridge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down