+2
janey
otisthestafford
6 posters

Go down

Off the lead! Empty Off the lead!

Post by otisthestafford Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:37

Evening Smile

Well we took Otis to the field tonight with the frisbee again for half an hour and we let him off the lead for the first time! He did really well... It was only a short burst and he came back each time we did a recall so I was really chuffed, don't think it will always be that easy though! Laughing

Off the lead! P3202010
otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Off the lead! Empty Re: Off the lead!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:41

That's great! Big Grin

I bet he really enjoyed that, Logan is confined to a long lead these days but he loves it and it works well. As a puppy he was off lead loads though.

It's a great way for them to explore and get a bit of freedom whilst exercising. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:45

Yay, long may it continue Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 21:21

Ah, the perfect recall, how I miss you Laughing. Glad Otis' recall was really well, it's brilliant watching them run around freely and actually come back Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Mar 20 2013, 21:25

Yay!!!!

I would say keep it up and dnt take for granted. Work out your safe distant for 'recall' and keep it to that Smile u sound like ure doing a fab job!!
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 21:35

Great pic and gald to hear that it went well Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 22:52

Well done thumbs up Keep up the good work

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Wed Mar 20 2013, 23:21

MatLogan wrote:That's great! Big Grin

I bet he really enjoyed that, Logan is confined to a long lead these days but he loves it and it works well. As a puppy he was off lead loads though.

It's a great way for them to explore and get a bit of freedom whilst exercising. Smile

Matt, just out of curiosity, why is Logan confined to a long lead these days? Has something happened that has made him dog aggressive that you can't trust him off the lead or am I way off the mark?
It's just that Tommy is off the lead about 90% of the time and it would do his head in if it was any other way. I want to do everything I can to ensure he has as much freedom as possible.
Bloomooner
Bloomooner
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 09:47

Ahh thats great! Big Grin Ive recently started letting Alfie off the lead and its a brilliant feeling watching them run around!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 10:09

Bloomooner wrote:Matt, just out of curiosity, why is Logan confined to a long lead these days? Has something happened that has made him dog aggressive that you can't trust him off the lead or am I way off the mark?
It's just that Tommy is off the lead about 90% of the time and it would do his head in if it was any other way. I want to do everything I can to ensure he has as much freedom as possible.

Logan walked off lead 100% of the time as a pup and was super friendly, probably too friendly. He'd go and try to play with every dog he seen and sadly a few times he got himself in trouble. He was biten very badly by a GSD, thankfully it was only a small cut but the force of which the GSD hit him really hurt him and he was very sore for a while after. Since that very day if he saw a GSD or anything similar he was very scared and would hide. But now that he is a big dog he is nervous/aggressive towards them and it would be too much of a risk to have him off lead as he is very powerful.

His recall etc is great except for when he see's these dogs then everything goes out the window.

Very unfortunate but he will get better in time hopefully. He is 100% with other dog breeds and people though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Thu Mar 21 2013, 10:46

MatLogan wrote:
Bloomooner wrote:Matt, just out of curiosity, why is Logan confined to a long lead these days? Has something happened that has made him dog aggressive that you can't trust him off the lead or am I way off the mark?

Logan walked off lead 100% of the time as a pup and was super friendly, probably too friendly. He'd go and try to play with every dog he seen and sadly a few times he got himself in trouble. He was biten very badly by a GSD, thankfully it was only a small cut but the force of which the GSD hit him really hurt him and he was very sore for a while after. Since that very day if he saw a GSD or anything similar he was very scared and would hide. But now that he is a big dog he is nervous/aggressive towards them and it would be too much of a risk to have him off lead as he is very powerful.

His recall etc is great except for when he see's these dogs then everything goes out the window.

Very unfortunate but he will get better in time hopefully. He is 100% with other dog breeds and people though.

That's such a same. This sounds exactly what Tommy is like, he wants to play with everything from chihuahuas to Rottweilers. Sometimes he doesn't realise that not every dog wants to play. He's had a few nips off dogs who don't tolerate him but nothing serious and he just runs off to find another dog to play with. You are definitely being sensible though by keeping him on a lead; as you say he's big and powerful and will get even more so, if he got a grip of a GSD now he'd probably cause a lot of damage unfortunately.
Was the GSD not on its lead when it attacked Logan?
Bloomooner
Bloomooner

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 10:55

Bloomooner wrote:That's such a same. This sounds exactly what Tommy is like, he wants to play with everything from chihuahuas to Rottweilers. Sometimes he doesn't realise that not every dog wants to play. He's had a few nips off dogs who don't tolerate him but nothing serious and he just runs off to find another dog to play with. You are definitely being sensible though by keeping him on a lead; as you say he's big and powerful and will get even more so, if he got a grip of a GSD now he'd probably cause a lot of damage unfortunately.
Was the GSD not on its lead when it attacked Logan?

I know I shouldn't judge any breed but I have nothing but problems with GSD's where I live they are always very unruly and aggressive. My Dad used to have 4 of them and they were great dogs. But these days they seem to be nothing like the dogs I used to know growing up.

Yea Logan has had plenty of nips but I don't mind that because it teaches them manors. I walk with a friend who has a female Stafford and she still nips and corrects Logan, which I'm glad off because she really puts him in line haha!

Yes the GSD was off lead and Logan was a very small puppy at the time. I was fairly close when it happened and was lucky enough to be able to jump in and get rid of the GSD. The owner couldn't have cared less tbh. I had quite a stern word with him after though Blushing

The only way to deal with it is walk on lead. His lead is very long and his flexi lead is 20ft so he isn't totally restricted. He'll get past it though because apart from that he is a very good boy. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:00

That's so frustrating - all that could have been avoided is the owner of the GSD had paid more care and attention!
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:05

otisthestafford wrote:That's so frustrating - all that could have been avoided is the owner of the GSD had paid more care and attention!

Very true, escpecially if the dog has potential to attack a puppy.

Albeit, I shouldn't have let Logan near him without checking first. Valuable lesson learnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Thu Mar 21 2013, 17:14

good job otis Cool
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Off the lead! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Fri Mar 22 2013, 10:17

Thanks everyone Smile Definitely will not be taking for granted... The real test will come when there are more distractions which I am keeping to a minimum for now, but even when a couple do come along he doesn't bolt for them just takes a look and comes back - but like I said how long that will be the case remains to be seen haha! Must think positively Wink
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Fri Mar 22 2013, 20:12

Charlie always wants to say hello to EVERY dog he sees in the park but will still cower down if they tower over him. I'm very wary of other dogs round him if he's off-lead as I don't want him hurt and more nervous than he is already....he's loads better than he was though. My husband is happier having Charlie off-lead than me but I tend to walk him on lead Smile and I do most of his walking in the week Smile
Griffin5
Griffin5
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Off the lead! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down