Making the transition from lead to no lead

2 posters

Go down

Making the transition from lead to no lead Empty Making the transition from lead to no lead

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:32

Alfie has never been let off the lead (had him for a month) as I dont know what he would do! His previous owner never took him for a walk let alone let him off.

What is the best way to go about it? Maybe an extendable lead to start?

Back to top Go down

Making the transition from lead to no lead Empty Re: Making the transition from lead to no lead

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:35

i'd get a long line first and work on recall you can get them really cheap on ebay, I much prefer them to the extendable leads

Back to top Go down

Making the transition from lead to no lead Empty Re: Making the transition from lead to no lead

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:36

Training leads are a God send. I was recommended one when I started on this forum a month or so back and it has genuinely changed everything for me.
They are approx £4 on ebay so they are worth trying.

I'm very nervous about letting Logan off lead unless I'm in a very secluded area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:37

See about getting a long training lead Ebay have them and Amazon then see how things go with some recall training while on the training lead. This will give you peace of mind still being in control and Alfie can have a good sniff around too.

something like this should be just fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/50ft-Puppy-Training-Obedience-Leash/dp/B009OZY0XA/ref=sr_1_9?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1360679807&sr=1-9
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:56

We have 2 50 foot lines they are great for training. Although I would not let our 2 off lead yet as they tend to do a runner their recall is improving though. Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12 2013, 14:58

Thanks everyone. I will definitely invest in one of these

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down