JStaff
-Ian-
Stan and Holly
Rachel33
gillybrent
Kathy
13 posters

Go down

On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies Empty On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06 2015, 08:14

Here's something we're struggling with. Chaos loves other dogs, especially young and energetic ones so he can charge around being a hoon. However, when first meeting others he can have the social graces of a .... staffie. He goes in very fast and often ends up scaring the heebies out of owners and on the odd occasion he's rather flattened another dog.

We took to putting him on the lead when we see another dog coming but he tends to react badly. We're making progress with the 'look at that' game but it's not proving a quick fix.

We were on the sea wall yesterday and I could see a couple of people coming, but with no dog I didn't do anything. Suddenly a spaniel appears and Chaos shot off to play, and had reached the other dog before I knew what was happening. He did come back when called, I should add, but not before he'd given the owners a real fright.

5 minutes later, we were bumbling along when a fox terrier came charging over to play. They had a ball.

So what do you all do about meeting other dogs and is there a way of teaching a young staff what 'gently!!!!!!!!!!!!!' means?

Back to top Go down

On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies Empty Re: On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies

Post by Kathy Fri Feb 06 2015, 10:27

Ohhhh Liz the age old dilema, I go by the adage of approach all dogs with yours on the lead, especially if the other dog is on the lead.

We had an issue with Rocky recently when in a park with Rocky on the lead as always with 3 black labradors all of which were off lead. Rocky doesn't like loose dogs jumping all over him and them getting in his space. He told one of the dogs to get lost which seemed to be the right thing for him to do, we were then told by another dog owner to get Rocky muzzled - why I've no idea.

Anyway I guess it depends on how well you know your dog and how he/she will react to others. As for "Gently" don't think this word exists in Rockys dictionary.

Last edited by Kathy on Fri Feb 06 2015, 11:07; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies Empty Re: On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies

Post by gillybrent Fri Feb 06 2015, 10:56

You should NEVER let your dog go bounding over to a strange dog, uncontrolled! You've no idea what the other dog is like, or whether you'll scare the other dog & its owner!

Always introduce on lead, walk together for a while & then try some off lead play if the other person is happy with it.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Feb 06 2015, 11:39

I tend to parallel walk when meeting a new dog, but I'm overly cautious as bis is very selective. What about a long line? That's how we intro at the centre, that way there's no risk of lead frustration but you still have control, I tend to give about 1.5 metres of lead so that the lead is loose enough, then reign in if getting too much/intermittently and practise treat training to distract/keep focused and then reward with play again.

Biscuit doesn't play as often as other dogs as we can only have her loose with selected dogs - she plays HARD and it can be hard to get her attention when she's in play mode - we always have breaks and work on commands during play.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06 2015, 14:34

gillybrent wrote:You should NEVER let your dog go bounding over to a strange dog, uncontrolled! You've no idea what the other dog is like, or whether you'll scare the other dog & its owner!

Always introduce on lead, walk together for a while & then try some off lead play if the other person is happy with it.

Don't worry! I don't let him go bounding over, that's why we now put him on the lead. The only reason that he ran to the spaniel was that I genuinely thought these people didn't have a dog with them - I'd watched them approach for 5 minutes or so before the dog appeared.

I was more wondering if there was something I was missing that would help him with 'gently'. But by the sounds of it I guess not Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Sat Feb 07 2015, 01:09

Obviously his energy levels suit some dogs more than others, maybe when you play with him indoors etc. you should try doing the usual things that get him excited and then cutting him off before he gets all the way up to 11 and eventually he'll understand limits. His experience will also help in time. Stanley plays with a no of other Staffies and females in particular are bonkers with him and eventually he has to tell them when enough has been reached and all is fine again. They remember for future reference. Smile
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Years 4/6/10
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 52

https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 07 2015, 08:04

We use the same word - enough - and they all know and understand it. He also has recall like a rocket, so it's not really a question of stopping things escalating. The problem is more when you're walking along and there's a dog coming towards you that you just want to pass by or if another off lead dog comes up to us. It's the inital hello that is hard to control.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Feb 07 2015, 16:12

Hmmm interesting question and one that I judge by the situation as it presents itself. Generally my Flo is off lead in either of her parks and only goes on if there is another dog on-lead out of courtesy to the other owner. Flo doesn't tend to play with other dogs too much being an older girl, she's more interested in the squirrels to be honest.

If we are walking somewhere different, I will lead her until I know the layout of where we are and the type of dogs about.

Today was a classic example of me not getting her back quickly though. We were at the end of our walk and this guy had two small wirey things that were pleasant enough and Flo did the bow in front of the smaller one and they had a little run about. The dog then rolled over and Flo was standing over it. Knowing her, I knew this is where she can get rough so tried calling (shouting) but she ignored me. It was rough housing time Rolling Eyes

Fortunately the other fella was completely cool and could see his dog wasn't about to be eaten so I got her attention and away she came. Me and the other had a chat and everyone was fine. Had this been a more nervous owner, I would imagine I would have been called all sorts.

Like I said earlier, it really depends on the situation & environment Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sat Feb 07 2015, 22:03

On lead is always the best way. A long lead is usefull as well. Suki used to be overly excited as well but as she got older she has calmed down with the greetings.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Sun Feb 08 2015, 10:24

We took Milo to Bradgate Park today which is a huge park containing deer and rolling hills etc., We kept him on his lead obviously as if he saw a deer he'd be away & the rangers are told to shoot dogs if seen chasing them which is a terrifying prospect. Apart from this nearly every dog he met had a growl or a snap at his nose as he went to say hello. Milo wasn't a bit aggressive just (as staffys do) lurch at them through excitement. If he had been off his lead he would have been in trouble I'm sure. Where have all the friendly dogs gone?
Niffer
Niffer

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Sun Feb 08 2015, 12:46

I use gently as one of the first commands I ever taught pups and it works most of the time she's off-lead and completely trustworthy the only problem I had when she was attacked twice by bully breed bitches and I had hard time getting her but its quite rare where we go and in the end she has the right to defend herself if Attacked so 97% of time she's good as gold off-lead the rest were in trouble.
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Feb 08 2015, 23:12

My guys are onlead for recal reasons but... i hate small fluffies aproaching. i have two hyper dogs onlead and when some small fluffy thing come running in and gets batted about and then starts squeaking... its my fault...pisses me right off. on the other hand i have boxers, staffs, sibes etc who have the same play style with no problem. in my opinion, ask the leaded dogs owners befor offlead play
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Mon Feb 09 2015, 01:45

I taken to having Harry meet on lead we have had a couple of issues lately and I think that the best idea for us is to try and keep meet and greats on lead.

But sometimes its hard you look out for dogs but all of a sudden there they are, I feel that by having Harry meet other dogs on lead its helped for the times we come across dogs off lead she doesnt get quiet as hyper so quick.

Cheers
RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09 2015, 08:41

I completely agree with you about 'fluffies' owners, Nathan. I had a guy threaten to kill Chaos the other day if he touched a hair on his dog - Chaos was on lead and getting wound up by his 14 week old pug pup. He kept saying 'but he's 14 weeks old', when I suggested that it was his dog out of control, not mine. I don't give a monkey's how old he is!

But that's exactly the sort of thing that makes Chaos worse. He can't stand dogs barging into his space when he's on lead as it restricts his response. He does try, bless him, but he finds it so hard. Not with a puppy, of course, but that's the sort of time I wonder if he's not better off lead when he'll be just happy and playful, rather than stressing on lead.

Minefield.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Feb 09 2015, 09:24

Mia tends to listen to a male voice of authority Laughing she does everything the other half tells her she even plays guide if were out walking together . If i approach another small dog with mia i say nicely. But honestly i would do as nathan says and introduce the dogs slowly. Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

On lead vs off lead when meeting non-staffs/bullies B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Mon Feb 09 2015, 22:06

Mine is still a puppy but when out walking at the park he's mostly always of the lead as he is quite good. I use to always put him on the lead when we seen another dog as he use to run up to every single dog or person to say hello, so we'd put him on the lead and if the other owner seemed ok with it we'd walk up to them and let him see the other dog while on the lead, if he got to carried away I'd say ''No'' and when he seemed ok I'd let him off the lead or if the other owner seemed to be in a hurry I'd walk away and then take him off the lead.. He has now learnt to not run up to dogs unless I say ''Go on'' then he'll go and do his own thing and see the other dogs, and when I don't want him to go anywhere and he looks at another dog and does his little pose to play (you have to know your dog and predict what he/she is about to do before they do) I tell him no and walk the other way, if he doesn't come I make a noise to get his attention and run the other way, he soons comes running back to me.. Laughing
Busterr
Busterr
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 30/09/2014
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Mon Feb 09 2015, 22:28

It's funny how people will say "Is he friendly"? yet when you sensibly ask likewise they so eggy as Ali G would say. Enough! is ideal because it suits the tone of voice required. Smile  Some of these owners seem to be under the idea that we don't have any feelings at all and so our own dog's welfare doesn't count. doh
Cor, the sound Stan makes when he charges into his mate Shy chest to chest is like two rugby players going for it. Big Grin  Well done England btw. Smile
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Feb 09 2015, 23:09

I have a terrible mix of two dogs. my boy hates dogs in his space while my girl is play bowing like nothing else enticing them in. the worst we have had is a small fluffy running in and laying on its back squeaking... to my boy it was a toy while my girl just wanted to play staffy style. upon peeling it out of marleys mouth and handing it back to the owners with a stern warning about controlling off lead dogs the damn thing ran back and got a smack down from laska...which made it squeak...which made marley pick it up again...seconds from a wrag. I love all dogs no matter the breed and i would have been mortified had my boy had a shake with it, pissses me right off
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10 2015, 08:07

How's Marley with 'squeaky toy' dogs being picked up? That's another one that does Chaos's nut.

I have to say, I was so proud of him yesterday. We are deliberately going to places I know other dogs will be around so we can work on 'look at that'. We only had one glitch - a retriever and a toller were charging around so I asked Chaos to sit and look at them (click treat), at which point the toller came charging over. Chaos stiffened but did nothing till the toller literally pushed him out of the way to get the treat, at which point he flew at him. But, he sat again and again when this dog came back for 2nds and 3rds. He didn't even move when the toller started sniffing his bum. It's hard work, but we are getting there (fingers crossed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue Feb 10 2015, 20:21

I always put Sheara on a lead when meeting new dogs just in case, you never know the other dogs story, or the owners for that matter. It doesn't always go smoothly, if we meet another dog by surprise and sheara runs over, his recall is pretty good so will come back on command or even quicker if you wave a stick!
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Tue Feb 10 2015, 20:30

Nathan you've got the patience of a saint, it sounds comical but obviously isn't when you're in your position. Are they any better when walked separately? Smile
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down