spike123
pongy
janey
thecrustycob
9 posters

Go down

Sad jumping up

Post by thecrustycob Sun Mar 10 2013, 16:21

please help, jack jumps up to greet us when we get in, that is bad enough but he nips also. i know he is only saying hello. we tell him no and make him sit, which he does, but when we praise him( calmly)he gets all exited again and jumps all over us.

thecrustycob
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jack
Dog(s) Ages : 27 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: jumping up

Post by janey Sun Mar 10 2013, 16:27

Its normal at that age, you just need to carry on with what you are doing, is there any chance you could pop a baby gate up, then he can't automatically jump at you and can teach him to be calm before he comes out? Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sun Mar 10 2013, 16:55

David told me to make Cassie sit and try not to give her eye contact or touch her once she calmed because it energised her. It did work because Cassie soon stopped jumping up at me and now sits and waits for as long as i want. I am glad she soon learnt because i was so scared of her at 1st but now she is a very welcome sight
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by spike123 Sun Mar 10 2013, 16:56

our trainer taught us to quickly turn around and cross your arms every time he does it and to only prase him when he doesnt jump up, it worked wonders with spike !!!
spike123
spike123

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by wendy1971 Sun Mar 10 2013, 17:25

our two jump up but its short lived they soon settle. A firm no should help Smile
wendy1971
wendy1971
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
jumping up Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : miley and dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 2 and a half
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 10 2013, 22:10

pongy wrote:David told me to make Cassie sit and try not to give her eye contact or touch her once she calmed because it energised her. It did work because Cassie soon stopped jumping up at me and now sits and waits for as long as i want. I am glad she soon learnt because i was so scared of her at 1st but now she is a very welcome sight

Excellent advice

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:22

and be consistent about it - everyone in the house has to greet that way, no attention unless calm. My husband, bless him, tries, but he's just as excited to see her when he gets home so they jump all over each other. Very cute, but slow progress in the "no jumping up" training. Laughing
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
jumping up Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:02

spike123 wrote:our trainer taught us to quickly turn around and cross your arms every time he does it and to only prase him when he doesnt jump up, it worked wonders with spike !!!

Works like a charm!

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Fri Mar 22 2013, 20:36

i actually love the boisterous welcome when we come home - they jump all over us. why should we stop it? i realise visitors might not like it, but it doesn't bother us at all. they're only young and happy to see us. are we wrong?
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Mar 23 2013, 09:26

A good way to reinforce that 'nothing good happens when you jump up' in a training situation is to put his lead on and tie it to something like the bottom of the stairs. Approach him all excited, smiling, saying what a good boy he is etc. then the second he jumps up, even if you've not reached him yet, stop talking, turn round and walk away from him. Then repeat. If you can get to him without him jumping, give him a treat Smile

Keep doing that in short sessions and he'll soon realise that good things only happen to dogs when all four feet are on the ground!

Get other people to help you with it too Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Glasgowdogtrainer Sat Mar 23 2013, 10:27

Galadriel wrote:A good way to reinforce that 'nothing good happens when you jump up' in a training situation is to put his lead on and tie it to something like the bottom of the stairs. Approach him all excited, smiling, saying what a good boy he is etc. then the second he jumps up, even if you've not reached him yet, stop talking, turn round and walk away from him. Then repeat. If you can get to him without him jumping, give him a treat Smile

Keep doing that in short sessions and he'll soon realise that good things only happen to dogs when all four feet are on the ground!

Get other people to help you with it too Smile

Excellent advice. Ignoring will work, such as turning away, but combining it with reinforcement for the right behaviour (four on the floor) will make training more effective.

Glasgowdogtrainer
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:00

spike123 wrote:our trainer taught us to quickly turn around and cross your arms every time he does it and to only prase him when he doesnt jump up, it worked wonders with spike !!!

Yep, this is what we teach at the rescue centre, too Smile If you've got a dog that it doesn't work with, instead of tying the lead to something as mentioned in another post, just put your foot on it (leaving enough room that your dog can comfortably sit down). Because Staffs have a very strong neck, you don't have to worry too much about them hurting themselves. I wouldn't recommend this for puppies though, but turning away usually works perfectly well for them.

Combined with rewarding the dog for staying on the floor too, you'll see results in no time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down