Jumping up, help!

5 posters

Go down

Jumping up, help! Empty Jumping up, help!

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Nov 15 2012, 14:10

I have only had Louby since saturday, we found her as a stray. We managed to locate the owners who said we could keep her. But she seems to have had no training at all. She isnt toilet trained, and previous owners reckoned she was, im not so sure i believe them. She has no boundaries whatsoever. But the one thing that is really annoying is the jumping up whilst walking. I know she is just playing, but she does grab my coat with her teeth, i say no and turn my back on her, which works for all of 10 seconds where she does sit down and waits, but as soon as we start walking again she jumps up again. I take a toy to throw which she chases after, and i take treats. She sits for her treats and for me to throw her toy, so thats good. but as soon as i have given her ther treat for sitting down she jumps back up at me.
It is really getting me down, and i know its only been a few days. Am i doing it right? Thanks x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping up, help! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Jumping up, help! Empty Re: Jumping up, help!

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 15:10

she may be understanding the treat as a reward for the jumping. I would just turn around and ignore her, and when she calms down, just move on and if she jumps again, turn around again. if you have a clicker or a trigger word like OK or yes, use that when all 4 are on the floor, then move on. Maybe she needs a time out if she is biting and nipping at clothes, hands, etc when you are trying to ignore her. Quietly take her out of the room to a time out area and leave her there until she calms down, then let her back. Keep doing that if necessary until she gets it, and then maybe all you will need to do is turn around and ignore her.

We are still trying with Jellybean, to be honest. She has stopped jumping up for any old reason. Now she only does it when someone comes home/in/up to her and she's excited. Even then, we ignore her and won't show her attention until 4 are on the floor. She eventually gets it and we can continue about our business. She may always initially jump though, but we'll keep at it!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Nov 15 2012, 15:28

Thank you. I wouldnt mind so much if she didnt use her teeth while doing it. Its a good job i wear an old thick coat when we are out.
When she jumps up i am turning round, and then doing the same again when she jumps up again. Sometimes we dont get very far on our walks, the first 20 mins is spent with me shouting No then turning round, waiting, walking, shouting No then turning round etc etc....
I am hoping at some point it will click in to place.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 15:36

try not even yelling at her, don't even look at her, just completely ignore her and turn around. the second all 4 are on the floor say OFF and praise. maybe even reward. But it's all about the timing. If you're saying stuff to her while she's jumping, she will just think the jumping is what you want. Any attention, even negative, is still attention and validates the bad behavior as much as right timing of attention validates the good.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Nov 15 2012, 16:47

Ok, i shall keep doing the turning thing, but not say anything. i wasnt exactly yelling at her, i was trying to be commanding in my No...Thanks x
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 15 2012, 17:52

If I really want Moo to leave something I say it very strongly.

We play a game when out walking where I make her sit, stay, wait (all said firmly) I then will take whatever toy she has been playing with and go and hide it, return to her, still sitting/waiting, if she tries to go for it just an 'uh uh' and she will return to a sit position until I say go find.

Its a great way to stimulate them and keep there minds active.

Say when home or when you don't want them to do something (jump at you) a simple 'uh uh' should work and put them into a sit leave position.

Just an idea. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 15 2012, 22:33

I put a post on here last week as I was going through something similar with Betsy trying to initiate play with the ball by jumping up and grabbing coat, etc to the point of taking it off my back. Fortunately it wasn't too cold! :0

Good advice here. I found giving her a command which i could praise helpful such as sit. So putting the attention on what I do want rather than what I don't. During this time I would be very calm then move slightly away, call her (calmly) to me and repeat. Heel works well too. It was suggested to try Betsy finding a rag with my scent on- like above and then get her to find it and lots of praise. I find that's great for mental agility.

I also go on a big boisterous dog hunt so Betsy can have a good old play. I appreciate that you've not had your doggy long, but some supervised play could be great dependent how she is, particualrly as her training as been limited.

Good luck! You've done an amazing thing rescuing this poor doggy. It might take a lil time but you'll get there. It's really early days Smile x
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Thu Nov 15 2012, 22:35

ps it was also suggested a lil spray of water can be used to correct behaviour, particualrly quite unwanted like this. It's quite harmless but if she's smart she'll quickly get it Smile I'm going to try it with Betsy's jumping up
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Nov 16 2012, 09:30

Mrs McFisher wrote:Ok, i shall keep doing the turning thing, but not say anything. i wasnt exactly yelling at her, i was trying to be commanding in my No...Thanks x

ah ok sorry I didn't mean any harm, just reading in the post before that the you spent a lot of time shouting NO (which to be honest, I do now and then too when my girl really just isn't getting it - it's hard not to get frustrated with her, but that's a whole other story!)

Janey's advice is good, I'll try that more often too. I make Jelly sit and leave her food and other stuff now and then, but I didn't think of trying it for jumping up. We have been working on a simple uh-uh separately, i.e., for pulling on her leash or when I tell her to stay or leave, but it hasn't seemed to work for jumping so I'll try it that way too!

good luck!!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16 2012, 10:01

It will take her some time to settle and you are on the right track with ignoring her. Alot of it is most likely lack of training and too much energy. If she is full grown she will need 2 walks per day of 45 minutes each.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri Nov 16 2012, 16:38

[quote="Girly"]
Mrs McFisher wrote:Ok, i shall keep doing the turning thing, but not say anything. i wasnt exactly yelling at her, i was trying to be commanding in my No...Thanks x

ah ok sorry I didn't mean any harm, just reading in the post before that the you spent a lot of time shouting NO (which to be honest, I do now and then too when my girl really just isn't getting it - it's hard not to get frustrated with her, but that's a whole other story!)

I know you didnt mean anything by it. these messages can sometimes sound wrong when you dont eman it that way...xx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Fri Nov 16 2012, 16:42

Thank you for your advice. She is only 6 months old, and hasnt only been with me a week tomorrow, so we are bith working eachother out still.
This morning was a much better walk, not sure if its a fluke, we shall soon find out. But she didnt jump up as much, but when she did it didnt seem to boisterous and 'toothy'...
she also went through the night with out having a poo, then did 2 on her walk which i was so pleased with. still peeing though, but i am celebrating the good things she does.
She does have alot of energy. i walk her 45 mins in morning then an hour in the evening, then a small walk at lunch. This weekend is called 'Lets get Louby tired'...ha ha xx
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxy D Fri Nov 16 2012, 23:57

Never turn your back. They need to know who's in control. We have a rescue staffy who did this and it was due to over excitement as she had been given no exercise at all. By all means let her have fun and run around but keep it to a minimum at first and build it up. Ie keep putting back on the lead every now and again. If you stand straight on and put you land out down and to the side she should react to this and want a stroke in stead. Hope this helps.. Also look at what your feeding her as this could be the wrong food. Try Butchers fresh Tripe mix with finely chopped raw carrot, peas and beans twice a day, no cooked meats or dry foods. This will also improve her toileting after a couple of days..
Roxy D
Roxy D
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17 2012, 07:32

Roxy D wrote:Never turn your back. They need to know who's in control.

By turning away you are actually showing that you're in control - in control of any interraction. Staffords being 'people' dogs, they thrive on interraction with their human family and turning away & ignoring until they're calm soon teaches them that they only get that interraction when they stop being hyper!

Roxy D wrote: Try Butchers fresh Tripe

Butchers Tripe mix (I take it you do mean the tinned food, not fresh green tripe?) isn't a good food. No tinned food is particularly good, though.

Roxy D wrote: no cooked meats or dry foods.

Can I ask why? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down