Jumping up

5 posters

Go down

Jumping up Empty Jumping up

Post by PoaBoss Wed Feb 23 2011, 19:23

Well my dog Boss has a bad jumping problem with new people(as most dogs do) but he is to excited and jumps at faces, made my mum bleed from a scratch and made a big bruise when he bonked heads. I have tried the sticking your knee out but no success he just dodges, any assistance on this?
PoaBoss
PoaBoss
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Jumping up Empty Re: Jumping up

Post by janey Wed Feb 23 2011, 19:37

Have you tried just ignoring him, turn your back and ignore Boss when he does it, no praise no recognision until he calms. You have to get everybody to do it too. Once he is calm bend down to him, same level won't jump. Mine still bounces up but not to head hight thankfully!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 22:29

When you have visitors put him on a lead and make him sit to greet people i do this with Samson and he's getting better and calming down quicker

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Thu Feb 24 2011, 10:00

What I do with Clover is tell people to hold her collar and make her sit before they stroke her. She still jumps up a bit when shes excited but she calms down a lot faster nowadays.
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Jumping up Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 10:32

Staffies absolutely crave human attention, so by turning your back and ignoring the jumping, and then petting and praising the calm behaviour, they soon pick up on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25 2011, 01:52

I found completly ignoring/ side stepping and walking straight past, never go backwards though other wise your giving him your space, You could also try sticking a lead on him while people are entering and giving a correction if he tries to jump up, have him sit or lay down and allow the peson to walk past and only give him attention once he is calm and polite about his movements a sniff of the new person is all a dog needs as a greeting.

Last edited by MissRogue on Fri Apr 15 2011, 05:33; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25 2011, 10:01

As above, really. I found that the most effective way is to turn away as soon as the jump starts - but you have to be quick, and make sure that everyone knows what to do. Also, he should get no attention whatsoever until he is calm, and then only calm & quiet fuss.

Please don't knee your dog in the chest, it's a very old fashioned way & isn't really all that effective. At best he will think it's a game, but at worse you could hurt his chest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25 2011, 10:04

Or if the dog jumps head first, could snap your knee cap in half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25 2011, 10:07

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Or if the dog jumps head first, could snap your knee cap in half

Oooh, yes! Ouch!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 22:46

Have a very similar issue with my boy Luke is is roughly 1yr 1/2 old and can desplay domant behavour if his jumping is ignored such as atempting to mount legs! I'm not to worried about the behaviour as I corrected the issue with my other dog Bow.

I found the following works well:
have someone that the dog does not know come over and ring the door bell your dog will respond with hugh amounts of energy use the lead to correct and as he calms open the door and invite the person in. This will result in the dogs energy levels picking up, again quickly correct with the lead. Again have the person exit and close the door behind them, get them to ring the bell again correct the excited behaviour and at the moment of calm have them re-enter.

Sounds boring and it is but by repeting this for 30min and then about an hour or 2 later repete the whole thing all over again. you can stop this in just one day and after that smaller corrections will be needed for a short time but this should help. remember never let the dog go to far into a high energy state correct as soon as you see the unwanted energy. It is all about taking your time and being in a calm state of mind

sorry for going on and on but its tried and tested on my end anyway Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhead Mon Jun 06 2011, 18:18

I'm having this problem with Roxy , she nearly knocked a lady over today, luckily the woman was fine and i apologised for dogs way of saying hello
But if the person did not know she was around,Roxy would have knocked them over
After reading the above messages i shall put them to use and report back on our progress
Matt & Roxy x
Greyhead
Greyhead
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jun 06 2011, 18:24

Greyhead wrote:I'm having this problem with Roxy , she nearly knocked a lady over today, luckily the woman was fine and i apologised for dogs way of saying hello
But if the person did not know she was around,Roxy would have knocked them over
After reading the above messages i shall put them to use and report back on our progress
Matt & Roxy x

Good luck Smile it can be rather embarresing!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 22:09

Both of mine decided to greet a lady like this the other day after a run thru the marsh which as u can guess has lots of swampy water............she had white trousers on Blushing
But I did warn her if she speaks to them they will jump Big Grin

I too put leads on them if someone comes in or put them behind the stair gate till they calm then one by one by collar bring them in the room

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Sat Jun 11 2011, 12:48

hmmm think i am going to have try this method with Bruno, my friend whos got a black lab alway greets him like this, all thou i have to told her to turn her back on bruno and wait till he calms down which is actually never as you think hes calm and so you stroke him and he just get all excited all over again, she says he doesn't mind him greeting her like that as he will grow out of it but i dont think he will unless i train him not to jump up at people, as i said to my friend not all people are doing friendly and might take offend at being jumped at, not only that, we have a lot of small children round where we live and he will just send them flying if he jumps at them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Big Grin

Hope you get sorted the same as me Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by PoaBoss Sun Jun 12 2011, 18:48

Bruno311210 wrote:hmmm think i am going to have try this method with Bruno, my friend whos got a black lab alway greets him like this, all thou i have to told her to turn her back on bruno and wait till he calms down which is actually never as you think hes calm and so you stroke him and he just get all excited all over again, she says he doesn't mind him greeting her like that as he will grow out of it but i dont think he will unless i train him not to jump up at people, as i said to my friend not all people are doing friendly and might take offend at being jumped at, not only that, we have a lot of small children round where we live and he will just send them flying if he jumps at them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Big Grin

Hope you get sorted the same as me Big Grin
My boy has been sorted, took me a day to sort him out. He now wont jump on people instead he gallops around them and leaps and kicks out like a young deer, hillarious sight, it certainly is better then knocking people over. With Boss i corrected him with having people over and just walking into him and ignofing him, and he doesnt like being knocked over so stopped doing it all together. Many other dogs are much tougher to sort out tho
PoaBoss
PoaBoss

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Mon Jun 13 2011, 17:43

glad you've got sorted, we're kinda on the way, but would be much better if people did what i told them lol
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jun 13 2011, 18:15

Bruno311210 wrote:glad you've got sorted, we're kinda on the way, but would be much better if people did what i told them lol

Pleased to hear Boss is there now, and yes some dogs are harder, but it doesn't help when your training them and people are like 'thats ok, I'm used to it' when Clearly your trying to stop the behaviour x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down