johneva
24 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Smile Happy day Alfie can stay

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 11:19

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank each and everyone of you for all your advice (i know ive been a bit of a pain on here lol) but due to circumstances out of my control I am regrettable re homing my little Alfie. As you can imagine I am absolutely devastated but wish him a long and happy life.

Ive enjoyed tak=lking with all of you - thank you x

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Happy day Alfie can stay

Post by EmLou28 Fri Feb 15 2013, 01:38

Hi Ellie, I just waited to come on here and see how things have been today. I only came across this thread tonight and after reading through everything I do feel for you and Alfie and I'm so pleased your trying to work hard to keep him in your life. I feel your housemate is being really unfair with you and in all honesty as no right to tell you to get rid of the dog, it's your home as well.
Things do not go to plan right from the start, Alfie needs to settle with you and you need to change your life to accomodate his needs, which you are happily doing Smile 5 weeks is not long enough for him to become the "perfect dog" he is going to have some things that need working out and time is whats needed, your housemate needs to understand this. It's not like your letting him run wild round the house doing what he wants, your working with him to train him whats right and wrong, it just takes time and your housemate needs to understand this as well.
Anyway, I just wanted to know if getting up that little bit earlier this morning to walk him longer helped, did you manage to tire him out? Are you able to let him off the lead yet to play catch or something? That always tires Maggie out Smile If he doesn't play catch are you able to run about with him and play that way? Yes you may look like an idiot doing it Smile but it may help get rid of some energy as well as help you bond with him.
On his toilet training side what your doing (I read and commented on a previous thread you posted Smile) with the praise and treats is brilliant, thats how we trained Maggie. Admittedly she still has accidents now and again, most recent just now. Lazy sod couldn't be bothered to go that little bit further to the back door where I was stood so went in the kitchen Rolling Eyes but once he gets the idea the accidents will happen fewer and fewer.
I was going to suggest moving Alfie's crate to your room, like Matt said but as a permanent thing (if possible) instead of the kitchen then any damage he causes is to your stuff and it stops the miserable housemate moaning if she comes home before you to find a mess. If you tire him out enough before you go to work you may find he sleeps in the crate all day until you get home.
With the smell, is it the fact that Alfie smells that the housemate is whining about or is it the general smell in the house? Like people have previously said you can get a good dog shampoo to wash him with and PaH do all sorts of household cleaning stuff for carpets or hard floors which smell nice I usually use the cleaner once a week to freshen up my hard floors from those whiffy doggy smells Smile
All in all hon keep your chin up and keep working at it, everything will be ok once all of this issue is sorted out and your housemate backs off and realises Alfie is there to stay, then you can just get on with enjoying your little furbaby Smile Please keep us updated with how everything is going and keep at his training, you will get there Smile And this forum is the best site EVER!!! The people on here are an absolute fountain of advise and knowledge and they will help you as best they can Smile
Good luck hon and give Alfie a >Big Grin< from me and Maggie Smile
EmLou28
EmLou28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie- May
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by kc Fri Feb 15 2013, 06:10

Hey Ellie!

I have just had a read of your troubles. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with your roommate. Lets hope the infectious love of a staffy wins them over soon. I hope everything continues well for you and your adorable alfie who looks so much like my late dog Jetta i think they could almost be twins!

Keep us updated Smile

Casey

kc
kc
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Happy day Alfie can stay - Page 4 Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 07/01/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 08:38

Thanks everyone Im just so relieved Alfie is staying with me. Last night he came into bed with me and for the second night running NO poos or wees in the house!! So proud of him! I got up half an hour earlier today to double his walking time so we had a nice walk this morning so hopefully it tires him out! I have also sprayed the chew spray today in areas he likes to nibble so hopefully that stops him.

As for the ball, I have a ball for him and do throw it for him (in the house though because I dont know what he is like off the lead) and he completely ignores it - I dont think he understands about fetch etc but im working on the toy situation. I got his rope out yesterday and for the first time he played with it with me, tugging and jumping around with it which was another first for him.

He is learning, just slowly. I will get their with him :-)

It was so lovely getting under the duvet with him last night knowing I could do it for years to come Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:04

EllieSmith wrote:Thanks everyone Im just so relieved Alfie is staying with me. Last night he came into bed with me and for the second night running NO poos or wees in the house!! So proud of him! I got up half an hour earlier today to double his walking time so we had a nice walk this morning so hopefully it tires him out! I have also sprayed the chew spray today in areas he likes to nibble so hopefully that stops him.

As for the ball, I have a ball for him and do throw it for him (in the house though because I dont know what he is like off the lead) and he completely ignores it - I dont think he understands about fetch etc but im working on the toy situation. I got his rope out yesterday and for the first time he played with it with me, tugging and jumping around with it which was another first for him.

It was so lovely getting under the duvet with him last night knowing I could do it for years to come Smile

So glad to hear this!
You do seem to really love this dog! Hopefully your housemate will come around as well and realise all the hard work will be worth it!
Please let us know about the state of the kitchen when you get home after work Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:08

Annie and Maxi wrote:
EllieSmith wrote:Thanks everyone Im just so relieved Alfie is staying with me. Last night he came into bed with me and for the second night running NO poos or wees in the house!! So proud of him! I got up half an hour earlier today to double his walking time so we had a nice walk this morning so hopefully it tires him out! I have also sprayed the chew spray today in areas he likes to nibble so hopefully that stops him.

So glad to hear this!
You do seem to really love this dog! Hopefully your housemate will come around as well and realise all the hard work will be worth it!
Please let us know about the state of the kitchen when you get home after work Smile

Thank you - I love him to bits, I cant really believe how attached ive got to him after just a few weeks!

As for the kitchen, I will at least be expecting a poo and a wee but HOPEFULLY thats all it will be! praying

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:17

I didn't post anything before because everything has been said. But was praying you'll take all the advice and use them. He sounds like a great dog, happy you gave hin chance to prove it to your housemate. He'll come around just have to show him what to do. Good luck and well done
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:20

jola139 wrote:I didn't post anything before because everything has been said. But was praying you'll take all the advice and use them. He sounds like a great dog, happy you gave hin chance to prove it to your housemate. He'll come around just have to show him what to do. Good luck and well done

Thank you - he is already slowly learning things so I am confident he can do it, and so can I! Smile

Back to top Go down

That sounds so much more positive - you don't know how much that's cheered me up this morning! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

That sounds so much more positive - you don't know how much that's cheered me up this morning! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:21

Really happy to read that you might have things worked out. There is nothing like staffy love. Have you considered a dog walker during the day while you are at work, I'm sure that would help loads as well. Smile
debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:22

Caryll wrote:That sounds so much more positive - you don't know how much that's cheered me up this morning! Big Grin

Me too Caryll! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:23

debtom wrote:Really happy to read that you might have things worked out. There is nothing like staffy love. Have you considered a dog walker during the day while you are at work, I'm sure that would help loads as well. Smile

Thank you - I have looked into it yes, its just the funds however! I MAY be able to afford it every other day or do you think thats not worth it?

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:26

Personally I would think any little thing you can do would help, even if only a few times a week it will be better than not all. Smile
debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:28

EllieSmith wrote:
debtom wrote:Really happy to read that you might have things worked out. There is nothing like staffy love. Have you considered a dog walker during the day while you are at work, I'm sure that would help loads as well. Smile
Thank you - I have looked into it yes, its just the funds however! I MAY be able to afford it every other day or do you think thats not worth it?
debtom wrote:Personally I would think any little thing you can do would help, even if only a few times a week it will be better than not all. Smile

A couple of times a week would definitely help!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:30

Ok because I dont think I would be able to afford it religiously every day every week. How often would you recommend? I mean obviously Im around at weekends to take him to the park etc its just in the week

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:46

I found with Caley, we take her for a massive walk and run on Sunday the come Monday she is still shattered so will have have a small walk then. Perhaps maybe Tuesdays and Thursday to split the week up. Luckily the lighter evenings will arrive soon so you can take Alfie for bigger walks during the week as well.
debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:54

Excellent I will definitely look into that. Thats the thing when I get home from work it is usually dark and I dont really want to go to the park in the pitch black on my own! Alfie wouldnt protect me Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 09:54

Not all dogs like fetch, but I think tug-of-war is something most dogs enjoy if they know how. Maybe you can run around and act like a lunatic with the toy and get him excited and he might be more into playing. Glad last night went well Big Grin hope it continues. As for the dog walker, as much as you can afford, I guess. But every little bit helps, even if it's just two or three times a week, it'll be better than none at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:29

EllieSmith wrote:
Annie and Maxi wrote:

So glad to hear this!

Thank you - I love him to bits, I cant really believe how attached ive got to him after just a few weeks!

As for the kitchen, I will at least be expecting a poo and a wee but HOPEFULLY thats all it will be! praying

I know exactly what you mean, I got my Maxi 6 months ago as a rescue as well and it only took days until she was my whole world!

My dog isn't really into play either so for mental exercise I do a bit of obedience training with her every day. We usually do a 10 minute break in our walks and do a bit of training. This will help tire him out as well! You can do things as teach him to sit, stay, heel, drop etc or you can teach him a few tricks like roll over, shake, high 5 etc!
Make sure it's fun and set him up to succeed and he will love it! Make sure you find out what motivates him and reward him with that (treats, pats, play etc).

The only time my dog will play with toys is if they either dispenses food (she will do ANYTHING for food) or if it squeaks (she has a really strong pray drive). Not sure if any of those would interest him? (expect the squeaky toys to be ripped to pieces though lol)
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:40

Hi Annie, He has squeeky toys but they just dont seem to interest him. I have tried a few times to teach him sit etc but to no avail - any tips on this? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:43

Have you also considered a filling a kong and freezing it. I use Caley's treats and peanut butter and freeze it over night, she loves it.

debtom
debtom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:44

debtom wrote:Have you also considered a filling a kong and freezing it. I use Caley's treats and peanut butter and freeze it over night, she loves it.

I have a similar thing to a Kong, I filled it with peanut butter for him but he lost interest within minutes

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:48

EllieSmith wrote:Hi Annie, He has squeeky toys but they just dont seem to interest him. I have tried a few times to teach him sit etc but to no avail - any tips on this? Smile

Is he into treats? I would use a treat or a bit of meat or cheese or something he really loves. When he stands up you hold the treat in front/over his head and when he looks at it bring it backwards over his head and this usually gets them to sit down and as soon as he does praise him and give him the food. Do this a few times until when you do the movement he sits every time, then you can start adding the cue "sit" when you do it. You can then gradually stop having the treat in your hand and just do the movement with your hand and when he sits you give him a treat with your other hand. You might need to repeat this a for a few weeks before he gets what "sit" means without having to do the hand movement!

Not sure that made any sense, but there is plenty of videos on you tube showing how to teach your dog new things! Smile Just keep in mind it does take time for some dogs, just make sure you repeat daily and he'll get it and it will be good to drain energy as well! Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fez Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:57

Only a little tip from me if you've not bathed him before, run the bath while Alfie is not in the room so the splashing water doesn't scare him!
Fez
Fez
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Fri Feb 15 2013, 10:59

Annie and Maxi wrote:
EllieSmith wrote:Hi Annie, He has squeeky toys but they just dont seem to interest him. I have tried a few times to teach him sit etc but to no avail - any tips on this? Smile

Is he into treats? I would use a treat or a bit of meat or cheese or something he really loves. When he stands up you hold the treat in front/over his head and when he looks at it bring it backwards over his head and this usually gets them to sit down and as soon as he does praise him and give him the food. Do this a few times until when you do the movement he sits every time, then you can start adding the cue "sit" when you do it. You can then gradually stop having the treat in your hand and just do the movement with your hand and when he sits you give him a treat with your other hand. You might need to repeat this a for a few weeks before he gets what "sit" means without having to do the hand movement!
This is what I did as well to get my dog to sit, great advice.
Just make sure it's something he likes. For example my boy loved his ball it's his favourite thing in the world so I used the ball to get him to sit putting it over his head and saying sit then I'd throw the ball and let him have it for a while ( didn't use treats because he doesn't really like them he likes the ball more and if his ball is around he'll just not pay attention to the treats).

On the lead what I did to get him to sit was hold the lead quite high pulling his head a bit backwards and saying sit, this way he should sit Smile

1 thing I advice you is don't use the technic of holding something over his head to get him to sit for to long Laughing I used it for a while and my boy would only sit if I was stood right in front of him with my hand over his head... So he didn't sit when I said sit, the word sit had no meaning what had meaning was me being in front and holding something on top of his head. Big Grin
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:05

With the 'sit', the easiest way is to have him right in front of you and hold a treat above his head. As soon as he looks up, give the command and move the treat slightly towards his back, if that makes sense. He should lean back with his head and plonk his bum on the floor!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:06

Ooops! Just seen that's already been said! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:34

Laughing Thanks everyone - I will try this at the weekend! I have briefly tried this technique but he just looked at me as if to say "what the hell are you doing mum"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:36

You need to do it at first when he's really hungry - just before a meal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:38

Caryll wrote:You need to do it at first when he's really hungry - just before a meal!

Thank you! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pollyanna Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:47

Hard as I tried, I couldn't get Lily to sit using the method described but I noticed she did sit at various times throughout the day so every time I caught her sitting I made a fuss and gave her a treat, and at the same time I said the word sit. Then after a few days I said sit and she did, which she will do all the time on command - now getting her to stay is a different matter. Smile
Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Lily
Dog(s) Ages : 2?
Dog Gender(s) : Girlie
Support total : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 11:59

Pollyanna wrote:Hard as I tried, I couldn't get Lily to sit using the method described but I noticed she did sit at various times throughout the day so every time I caught her sitting I made a fuss and gave her a treat, and at the same time I said the word sit. Then after a few days I said sit and she did, which she will do all the time on command - now getting her to stay is a different matter. Smile

That's basically what I did. When Loki was still settling in, he'd always follow me and sit when I stopped, so I timed it to tell him to sit as he sat and eventually he learnt. Obviously the more common method is using the treat above his head though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:08

Tara wrote:
Pollyanna wrote:Hard as I tried, I couldn't get Lily to sit using the method described but I noticed she did sit at various times throughout the day so every time I caught her sitting I made a fuss and gave her a treat, and at the same time I said the word sit. Then after a few days I said sit and she did, which she will do all the time on command - now getting her to stay is a different matter. Smile

That's basically what I did. When Loki was still settling in, he'd always follow me and sit when I stopped, so I timed it to tell him to sit as he sat and eventually he learnt. Obviously the more common method is using the treat above his head though.

Alfie still does this with me, I will try it when he follows me Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:10

Another question - As I give treats to Alfie when he goes to the toilet outside, is it worth getting different treats for different training? Will he distinguish one treat with one thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:37

EllieSmith wrote:Another question - As I give treats to Alfie when he goes to the toilet outside, is it worth getting different treats for different training? Will he distinguish one treat with one thing?

Hmm, I wouldnt think that is necessary, not sure what others think?
In the end of the day you don't want to teach him that for ex. cheese means sit, you want to teach him that "sit" means sit.
I would use whatever food he loved the most!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 12:59

Use whatever treats you want. You wean him off the treats (more or less) when he knows what you're asking him to do anyway, so it won't matter in the end. Use whatever appeals to him. I'd leave the extra-super-amazing-tasty treats for when outside though, bigger distraction, harder to concentrate, better treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 14:48

Little update - Hopefully the dog trainer will be round on Monday Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 16:23

I've been away working in an area that has no internet all day today. I was hoping to read this as soon as I got home. Well done. It's made my day Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Fri Feb 15 2013, 16:26

Ellie why don't you start a new thread called "happy day Alfie can stay" instead of extremely sad farewell Big Grin
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 16:41

dave742 wrote:Ellie why don't you start a new thread called "happy day Alfie can stay" instead of extremely sad farewell Big Grin

I very much agree!!!

This thread could very well be put to bed now that everything all good Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 16:54

Well ive just got in and he has ripped my floor to pieces! Underlay and everything! Its down to the concrete!! What can i do?!

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Feb 15 2013, 16:59

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:00

God knows what im gunna tell my landlord!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:01

Jeeeeeez, I really don't know. I've never rented a house before. I'd assume either let the landlord know if you think it'll go down ok, or else try and get it fixed yourself. Tbf some of the other members may be more use on this.

As for the dog, crating is really gonna have to happen now. He seems frustrated where he is, he needs a place of his own.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:02

It really sounds like anxiety and like he's bored.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:06

I'm with Mat about the crate,dogs love their own place,it's security for them. About the floor,what your landlord is like? Maybe you could fix it yourself. Please don't change your mind about him.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:08

jola139 wrote:Please don't change your mind about him.

This^^^^

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:09

But i cant lock him in a crate can i? I cant keep him in the kitchen anymore because hes gunna continue to rip it up? As for
My landlord he doesnt need to know yet im more concerned about what to do with alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:13

And as you can imagine this didnt go down well with erika!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:16

Alfie was sure to have problems though, even though you have got yourself feeling a lot calmer and happier don't forget that Alfie will still be confused/bored/frustrated.

I don't think locking him in the crate will ever work. But, if the crate is made appealing enough with nice blankets and well covered I'm in the opinion he will spend a lot of time there anyway.

I'd also really suggest a training lead. I know it maybe sounds like a silly thing but honestly it isn't. I'm just after a big, big walk with Logan on his and he's collapsed on the floor now snoring. I'll wake him up for tea, then I'll not see him awake until the morning.

It's a combination of sufficient exercise and a comfy place of his own. That's the only way to solve it. Your dog trainer will most likely tell you this too on Monday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next