Need some experianced advice

5 posters

Go down

Need some experianced advice Empty Need some experianced advice

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 08:59

I'd really like another baby staffy. Im just concerned about Kenny. We've lately had a few issues with him around other dogs. Does this mean I would never be able to have 2 staffys Sad . Personally, I think he'll be ok if its a puppy. Or am i wrong. Theres a staffy puppy in our street, and Ken is great with him. I wont be rushing out to get 1
, as i need to be 100%. What do you think ?

Back to top Go down

Need some experianced advice Empty Re: Need some experianced advice

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:01

Sorry, forgot to add. Kenny is my second staffy and my husband has grown up with them. But neither of us has had 2 together. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:03

Puppies grow up. Just because he might be okay with a pup doesn't mean he won't hate it when it grows up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:07

Hayley wrote:Puppies grow up. Just because he might be okay with a pup doesn't mean he won't hate it when it grows up.
you could be right. I was thinking that growing up together may help. I havnt decided to get one just yet, as im happy just to have Ken. I just got the time and energy for 2.
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:08

I personally think if you got a bitch from a pup you won't have any problems . Just don't leave them out together when you are not around just to be ultra Safe.
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:10

Dogs have allways been a big part of my life. I've only ever had 1 staffy at a time. I've owned other dogs too. But the only time I've had any experiance of owning 3 dogs was growing up with 3 poodles lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:20

kenny d wrote:Dogs have allways been a big part of my life. I've only ever had 1 staffy at a time. I've owned other dogs too. But the only time I've had any experiance of owning 3 dogs was growing up with 3 poodles lol

Why not look at a rescue Kelly and then you can try Kenny out ?? Generally speaking I feel that 2 dogs that grow up together will mostly get along unless you believe you have a major problem to start with , if you look at a pup definitely go for a girl. Realistically you can't account for what will happen in later life but I think there is a very good chance they will get along well growing up together. Has Kenny had any instances with puppies or just older dogs ??

My 2 do scrap on occasions as will all housemates from time to time, and it can get nasty over something small like a titbit but they have never done each other any harm, but we do keep them separate when we go out. They mainly play together in a very evil and rough way.

Personally I would say if Kenny is selective over which dogs he doesnt like then thats just a dog thing and you shouldnt worry , my 2 aren't friendly with every dog they meet

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:23

Sorry to ask, we all know i am not experienced with dogs so can't help, but i do wonder Kelly, is this want for another pup borne out of the need to help staffies and rescue?
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:25

Lots of people have 2 dogs and it works well for them. I grew up with bull terriers and my step mum owned a boarding kennels and we had 3 living together 2 girls one boy, infact the girls used to squable a lot more even though it was the boy who was dog agressive when on walks .....you often find that even dogs who don't like othher grown dogs when they are being walked or free playing , will happily accept a puppy.
I think oposite sexes are always best if possible. The fact that Kenny likes the neighbours pup is a good sign.
Obviously having 2 is going to be harder work but if you have the time then I don't see why not . Goof luck whatever you decide Smile
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 09:39

racamoe wrote:I personally think if you got a bitch from a pup you won't have any problems . Just don't leave them out together when you are not around just to be ultra Safe.
Thats what i was thinking. I know its totally different,but when my old girl was alive, my daughter came home with a kitten. This was a big NO NO. Blitz would happily kill a cat. She really hated them.
What i did was only allow the cat into one room. Blitz still had run of the house. Through out the day, i would take blitz on a lead to meet the kitten. I would allow her to sniff. If she acted aggressivly, I'd remove Blitz. When she was gently, I rewarded her. It toke some time, and they became the best of friends. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:02

Lots of people have 2 dogs. I would think Kenny would be fine with a pup especially a bitch. It's a different thing for dog to see another dog outside the home who he doesn't know to having another dog in the home. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:24

Kelly, I don't think you want advice, I think you want affirmation! Big Grin

If you seriously want another dog, you have the time & finances to hack it, then go for it. I'd recommend a bitch pup or an older rescue bitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:29

Dave wrote:

Why not look at a rescue Kelly and then you can try Kenny out ?? Generally speaking I feel that 2 dogs that grow up together will mostly get along unless you believe you have a major problem to start with , if you look at a pup definitely go for a girl. Realistically you can't account for what will happen in later life but I think there is a very good chance they will get along well growing up together. Has Kenny had any instances with puppies or just older dogs ??

My 2 do scrap on occasions as will all housemates from time to time, and it can get nasty over something small like a titbit but they have never done each other any harm, but we do keep them separate when we go out. They mainly play together in a very evil and rough way.
Kenny doesnt like anydog bigger than him, usually older males. He's never shown aggression toward a pup. A rescue is what we were thinking about. Smile

Personally I would say if Kenny is selective over which dogs he doesnt like then thats just a dog thing and you shouldnt worry , my 2 aren't friendly with every dog they meet

Dogs have allways been a big part of my life. I've only ever had 1 staffy at a time. I've owned other dogs too. But the only time I've had any experiance of owning 3 dogs was growing up with 3 poodles lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:30

I hope all goes well. But perhaps the question you should be asking is....What do we do if it does not work out?..... some heartbreaking decision will have to be made. If there is the slightest doubt in your minds, and in reading your first post there is, then dont do it. If you feel that it will be 100% ok then go ahead, you are the only people who truly know your dog.

Last edited by Panda on Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:34; edited 1 time in total
Panda
Panda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:32

My pc keeps closing down Surprised
Dave, my reply as gone into the middle of your reply lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:34

Panda wrote:I hope all goes well. But perhaps the question you should be asking is....What do we do if it does not work out?..... some heartbreaking decision will have to be made. If there is the slightest doubt in your minds, and in reading your first post there is, then dont do it.

Thanks Panda, We've spoken and visited Dogs Trust, just for advice. They said they'll acess Kenny if we decide to go ahead. But your right, the last thing i would want to do is have to rehome Sad .
We're going to take our time with this. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:38

Caryll wrote:Kelly, I don't think you want advice, I think you want affirmation! Big Grin

If you seriously want another dog, you have the time & finances to hack it, then go for it. I'd recommend a bitch pup or an older rescue bitch.

Big Grin Big Grin My mind is more or less made up, i just want to get it right. When Kenny gets accessed, if they say there's no way Ken will accept another dog, I'd leave it. I do think he will be ok, as he's allways been up until now been fab with all dogs. Then he got attacked by the bigger dog, and now anything bigger than him is fair game. Deep down, he's a gently giant. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 10:41

Panda wrote:I hope all goes well. But perhaps the question you should be asking is....What do we do if it does not work out?..... some heartbreaking decision will have to be made. If there is the slightest doubt in your minds, and in reading your first post there is, then dont do it. If you feel that it will be 100% ok then go ahead, you are the only people who truly know your dog.
Hi Panda, thats why i think a rescue is the way forward. At least we can have regular visits and time to see how he really is. I know its easier to just go get a pup and get on with it, but there's more than enough in rescues. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 11:54

Whatever you decide, Kelly, good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 11:57

kenny d wrote:My pc keeps closing down Surprised
Dave, my reply as gone into the middle of your reply lol

Fixed Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Feb 02 2013, 13:13

Would you consider a rescue centre and adopt from there. Take Kenny with you to meet any new possible companions and see how he gets on with all ages and both sexes.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02 2013, 16:04

I'm thinking of getting another dog too. I think I will be going for an older/wiser dog, and a female. Even though Logan loves to play and is very excited, I can't help but think a puppy would eventually irritate him.

I was always told to keep at least 18 months of an age difference, and go for the opposite gender when adding a new dog to the family. I think it'll be trial and error for you Kelly. You obviously know Kenny's temperment better than anyone, he will soon let you know if the situation will work or not! Above all else, just take your time.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 08:01

Kathy wrote:Would you consider a rescue centre and adopt from there. Take Kenny with you to meet any new possible companions and see how he gets on with all ages and both sexes.
Yes, defiantly. I thik this is the best way x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 08:03

Thank you every one. I think our 1st step is to visit a rescue. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jayh987 Tue Feb 05 2013, 15:34

i found introducing dogs while there on leads creates tension and they get abit vicious . when we brought a new dog in are home my dog was jumping all over it calmed down after 1 night
jayh987
jayh987
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tommi and Polo
Dog(s) Ages : Tommi 11 months Polo 5months
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down