heart worm

4 posters

Go down

heart worm Empty heart worm

Post by Taryn Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:10

just wondering, does anyone know what countries have cases of heart worm? i have been trying to google it after talking to an american guy who mentioned it, but it doesnt say anything about where these nasties are
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

heart worm Empty Re: heart worm

Post by Ben Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:11

I know it happens here in the USA.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:14

yeah i just wonder if we get it in finland. we get rabies Sad so romeo is vaxed against that and tick fever but...heart worm seems so monsterous as well
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:15

It's here in Australia too Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:17

Taryn wrote:yeah i just wonder if we get it in finland. we get rabies Sad so romeo is vaxed against that and tick fever but...heart worm seems so monsterous as well

Mine are on a monthly preventative.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:21

It's deadly and unfortunately the vaccinations are very dangerous too.. You may not get it there as it is a warm weather parasite and it is in the warmer months that vets vaccinate and push vaccinations.. It's a mosquito spread worm so in colder parts of the world I guess there isn't many mozzies Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:23

see i have never even heard of it...and i lived in australia for 17 years, and now i'm paranoid here in finland
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:24

ah you see, finland is full of swamps, so in the summer we get covered in them. but our summer is really short. i'm going to go to the helsinki international dog show on saturday, i might ask someone there
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:30

Yeah ask someone there or next time you visit the vet Big Grin I can only see Aus and USA on the maps where there have been recorded infestations

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:38

they sound so damn gross! the thought makes my skin crawl
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Walpuri Fri Dec 07 2012, 05:45

You need to be concerned about heart worms only, if you travel with Romeo to a country, where heartworm is a common problem. To countries like United States, Australia, southern Europe or Middle East Big Grin But not in Finland.

Taryn wrote:i'm going to go to the helsinki international dog show on saturday, i might ask someone there

We are also going to go to the Helsinki International dog show Big Grin
Walpuri
Walpuri
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nekku
Dog(s) Ages : December 18, 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Dec 07 2012, 08:33

Kat75 wrote:How Heartworms Infect Dogs: It’s Not Easy!

Step 1: To infect your dog, you need mosquitoes (so you need warm temperatures and standing water). More specifically, you need a hungry female mosquito of an appropriate species. Female mosquitoes act as airborne incubators for premature baby heartworms (called microfilariae). Without the proper mosquito, dogs can’t get heartworms. Period.

That means dogs can’t “catch” heartworms from other dogs or mammals or from dog park lawns. Puppies can’t “catch” heartworms from their mothers and moms can’t pass heartworm immunity to pups.

Step 2: Our hungry mosquito needs access to a dog already infected with sexually mature male and female heartworms that have produced babies.

Step 3: The heartworm babies must be at the L1 stage of development when the mosquito bites the dog and withdraws blood.

Step 4: Ten to fourteen days later — if the temperature is right –the microfilariae mature inside the mosquito to the infective L3 stage then migrate to the mosquito’s mouth. (Yum!)

Step 5: Madame mosquito transmits the L3’s to your dog’s skin with a bite. Then, if all conditions are right, the L3’s develop in the skin for three to four months (to the L5 stage) before making their way into your dog’s blood. But your dog still isn’t doomed.

Step 6: Only if the dog’s immune system doesn’t rid the dog of these worms do the heartworms develop to adulthood.

Step 7: It takes approximately six months for the surviving larvae to achieve maturity. At this point, the adult heartworms may produce babies if there are both males and females, but the kiddies will die unless a mosquito carrying L3’s intervenes. Otherwise, the adults will live several years then die.

Kylie, this would make a very useful sticky in the Staffy Health Issues forum section Big Grin
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 07 2012, 08:59

kathytake2 wrote:
Kat75 wrote:How Heartworms Infect Dogs: It’s Not Easy!

Step 1: To infect your dog, you need mosquitoes (so you need warm temperatures and standing water). More specifically, you need a hungry female mosquito of an appropriate species. Female mosquitoes act as airborne incubators for premature baby heartworms (called microfilariae). Without the proper mosquito, dogs can’t get heartworms. Period.

That means dogs can’t “catch” heartworms from other dogs or mammals or from dog park lawns. Puppies can’t “catch” heartworms from their mothers and moms can’t pass heartworm immunity to pups.

Step 2: Our hungry mosquito needs access to a dog already infected with sexually mature male and female heartworms that have produced babies.

Step 3: The heartworm babies must be at the L1 stage of development when the mosquito bites the dog and withdraws blood.

Step 4: Ten to fourteen days later — if the temperature is right –the microfilariae mature inside the mosquito to the infective L3 stage then migrate to the mosquito’s mouth. (Yum!)

Step 5: Madame mosquito transmits the L3’s to your dog’s skin with a bite. Then, if all conditions are right, the L3’s develop in the skin for three to four months (to the L5 stage) before making their way into your dog’s blood. But your dog still isn’t doomed.

Step 6: Only if the dog’s immune system doesn’t rid the dog of these worms do the heartworms develop to adulthood.

Step 7: It takes approximately six months for the surviving larvae to achieve maturity. At this point, the adult heartworms may produce babies if there are both males and females, but the kiddies will die unless a mosquito carrying L3’s intervenes. Otherwise, the adults will live several years then die.

Kylie, this would make a very useful sticky in the Staffy Health Issues forum section Big Grin

Done!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Fri Dec 07 2012, 16:29

Walpuri wrote:You need to be concerned about heart worms only, if you travel with Romeo to a country, where heartworm is a common problem. To countries like United States, Australia, southern Europe or Middle East Big Grin But not in Finland.

Taryn wrote:i'm going to go to the helsinki international dog show on saturday, i might ask someone there

We are also going to go to the Helsinki International dog show Big Grin

i'm not taking Romeo, but i'm going to go watch the staffies. i dont know if elmo is going to be there. but its perfect time to buy new toys for my monster Laughing

but it is good to know romeo is safe Love Struck
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female