+3
janey
Rachel33
jaggededge
7 posters

Go down

Sad Feeling guilty!

Post by jaggededge Fri Nov 30 2012, 16:46

I took Tinker out for a walk today and encountered another dog (doberman)! Oh dear... I know she doesn't like other dogs so I stepped into a gateway to try and keep her away from the other dog. I had her well under control but the other dog was lunging towards her and barking at her. The other owner was carrying a baby in a carrier on her front and her dog pulled her over. Fortunately owner and baby were fine but I feel so guilty. I couldn't cross the road as we were on a busy country road and there was no path on the other side and I didn't want the other dog pulling the woman into the road. We have encountered other dogs on our walks and managed to avoid any unpleasantness but I feel so bad about this situation and do not know what to do next time. I know there is something I should have done different and I am going to find out about training classes to try and help Tinker be more sociable but any advice in the meantime would be appreciated.

Worried!

Jules
jaggededge
jaggededge
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tinker
Dog(s) Ages : 10 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Feeling guilty!

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 30 2012, 17:29

IMO you didn't do anything wrong lovely! You stepped out of the way with your dog, their doberman could have done that to any dog that was stood to the side surely? And if the lady couldn't control him, she probably shouldn't have been multitasking with a baby right?

One thing that you could do for Tinker is teach her the "watch me" command, so that when dogs are passing her full attention is on you (and the treat in your hand!) and then reward for calm behaviour. Has worked wonders with my girl who is dog reactive Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Nov 30 2012, 17:37

Rachel33 wrote:IMO you didn't do anything wrong lovely! You stepped out of the way with your dog, their doberman could have done that to any dog that was stood to the side surely? And if the lady couldn't control him, she probably shouldn't have been multitasking with a baby right?

One thing that you could do for Tinker is teach her the "watch me" command, so that when dogs are passing her full attention is on you (and the treat in your hand!) and then reward for calm behaviour. Has worked wonders with my girl who is dog reactive Smile

I have to say I echo this Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 18:12

You didn't do anything wrong at all, you have had a shock cos of the baby being there. No way would I walk my girls with a baby in a carrier its just silly Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaggededge Fri Nov 30 2012, 18:32

Thank you. We are trying the "Watch me" but I think she is little hard of hearing...lol!

Jules
jaggededge
jaggededge

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinker
Dog(s) Ages : 10 ish
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 30 2012, 19:22

Haha oh bless her, Bis used to get into a really stressed state when another dog or man was approaching and I found using really smelly tasty treats and just making sure she could smell it worked when all of her other senses went out of the window Smile She'll do anything for a chunk of chicken or cheese Laughing
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 20:26

Not your fault AT ALL Jules, you did the best you could and that's all anyone can ever do, which would include NOT carrying a baby when handling a strong dog.

Rest easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 20:38

Don't fret , the lady shouldn't have been walking her dog with the baby like this if she knew the dobie could be a little exciteable, and for you you have the same with your , it's not your fault she was carrying a baby and you did everything you could , it's just one of them things and six of one , half a dozen of the other in my book. Watch me is good if you can make it work , just trying to get Tommy onto it now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Fri Nov 30 2012, 20:45

obviously not your fault. Forget about it and move on Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 20:47

jaggededge wrote:Thank you. We are trying the "Watch me" but I think she is little hard of hearing...lol!

Jules

Selective deafness - a bully breed trait! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 23:08

Not your fault at all. You can't just run away as far as possible from another dog to stop an incident from happening. Anyway, the woman's Doberman is obviously aggressive or excitable itself, so that's something she should have considered too. Don't feel guilty, you do your best with your own dog to not make a situation out of things, and the rest of that is down to the other owner to do the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Sat Dec 01 2012, 00:57

You did all you could to avoid confrontation so don't worry, but thats just my opinion which just so happens to be always right rolling on the floor . we all know to watch our dogs with as few distractions and none of us would take a baby if we couldn't trust the dog, i dont even use my phone whilst walking the dog just in case. And i taught Cassie by holding a treat to my chin and saying "on me" . She learnt and very fast to look at me
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 01 2012, 04:45

[quote="Rachel33"]IMO you didn't do anything wrong lovely! You stepped out of the way with your dog, their doberman could have done that to any dog that was stood to the side surely? And if the lady couldn't control him, she probably shouldn't have been multitasking with a baby right?

One thing that you could do for Tinker is teach her the "watch me" command, so that when dogs are passing her full attention is on you (and the treat in your hand!) and then reward for calm behaviour. Has worked wonders with Big Grin

I agree with this totally Big Grin You did all you could to get out of the way and if the other woman can't control her dog with a baby on her front she shouldn't be doing both at once Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 01 2012, 11:59

I completely agree with everyone else, you done nothing wrong so don't worry about it. I don't think I would take a strong dog out with a baby in a carrier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Dec 01 2012, 12:21

As I read it you did all you could anyway, you cannot really blame yourself for how someone else has reacted or there dog. You seem to have been more aware of others around you than some people are.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by marlesghille Mon Dec 03 2012, 16:11

Not your fault - what more could you have done? It wasn't you who pulled the woman over; you and your dog were standing still, out of the way.
marlesghille
marlesghille
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content