Sore looking eyes, need some advice please...

4 posters

Go down

Sore looking eyes, need some advice please... Empty Sore looking eyes, need some advice please...

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 09:38

Was just wondering if anyone had an idea about this...

Since Ralph was very small, he’s had quite red eyes. The whites of his eyes are quite pink and the skin around the inside can also be quite red – some days worse than others. Also, he had quite bad ‘eye bogies’.

We took Ralph to the vets, and he said Ralph has hayfever, and gave us hayfever tablets for him, and eye drops as well. We gave the tablets to him all through the summer but we struggle to give him the eye drops. He hates them and when he sees the bottle he legs it. I would have to wait until he was asleep and drop them on his eye lids, the little thing gets so stressed about it – his heart is racing. The OH tries to hold him while I put them in but Ralph struggles so much and gets himself in a right state... It’s horrible. He then goes off into his crate and won’t come near us for about 24 hours!

Anyway, a few times when he’s been playing with the father in law’s dog, the father in law said that Ralph had given his dog conjunctivitis and he’d had to get drops from the vet to clear it up twice now after Ralph playing with Freddy.

As the ‘eye bogies’ seemed to have stopped, but Ralph’s eyes were still quite red, we took him back to the vet to see if he’d made a mistake and Ralph had conjunctivitis and not hayfever, but the vet didn’t seem bothered and just gave us another lot of the same eye drops.

I’m waffling, but I thought I’d tell the whole story!

So, the last couple of days, his eyes have been quite bad again. Very red. Has anyone any ideas?

I wonder if he’s allergic to something in the house? I’m in the process of changing his food, I’ve changed my washing powder to see if it’s that – I just don’t know.

What things have your dogs been allergic to?

The redness doesn’t seem to bother him, he doesn’t scratch at his eyes or anything so I don’t think it’s itching, but they look so sore.

I was wondering if I should take him and get a second opinion from another vet?

Ideas guys?

Big Grin
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Sore looking eyes, need some advice please... Empty Re: Sore looking eyes, need some advice please...

Post by Mark Fri Nov 30 2012, 09:45

I would get a second opinion. Mileys eyes get when we use furniture polish and air fresheners. For the vet to do the proper tests for allergies could prove expensive
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Sore looking eyes, need some advice please... Empty Re: Sore looking eyes, need some advice please...

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 09:55

Steff has had conjuctivitis and the vet gave me Chloramphenicol. It wasn't drops more like a cream. It cleared it up very quickly. Ralphs symptoms sound the same as what she had.. Of course I'm no vet but It wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion. Or google pink eye in dogs and there is images on there that you could compare to what Ralphs looks like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Harley Fri Nov 30 2012, 09:59

Blocked tear ducts?

Harley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:04

Have a look at this one
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogeyeinfection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:10

I'd get a 2nd opinion. If the anti-allergy tablets/drops aren't clearing it, and your fil's dog seems to be getting conjunctivitis, then it sounds like there's more to it than just an allergy.

In the meantime you could try holding a wet, used teabag against his eyes for a couple of minutes, twice a day. It often soothes sore eyes & may help a little without doing any harm!

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:15

Pixee did have conjuctivitis, and had a green discharge and red eyes and like you, she got so stressed with the eye drops. I only managed 3 days worth if I got any in at all, so they gave me another one, Maxitrol drops, the first one was like cream, I just couldnt pry Pixees eyes open, the Maxitrol was like water, I managed to get them in by tricking her somehow, and when she was resting. Didnt have to touch her eyes either.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:22

That's great. Thank you all so much. I had a look at the link that Kylie posted and it really looks like the 'pink eye' picture, but more red. The only thing is, the drops it mentions were the ones the vet gave and it's not worked.

I do bathe his eyes as they get quiet watery, and you can see a line coming from his eye where the eye has watered.

I think I'll def get another opinion. Thank you again.
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:26

I'd get a second opinion. If his eyes are still looking red and sore, then hayfever or not, it should be looked into again. Plus, hayfever makes your eyes itchy, so if they're not itchy for him, it sounds like something else is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:27

Staffy lover wrote:Pixee did have conjuctivitis, and had a green discharge and red eyes and like you, she got so stressed with the eye drops. I only managed 3 days worth if I got any in at all, so they gave me another one, Maxitrol drops, the first one was like cream, I just couldnt pry Pixees eyes open, the Maxitrol was like water, I managed to get them in by tricking her somehow, and when she was resting. Didnt have to touch her eyes either.

Its horrible when you have to do something to them that they don't like. Even if its for their own good. Sad
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:29

Harley wrote:Blocked tear ducts?

Don't think so because his eyes are watery...
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:29

Jellytot wrote:
Staffy lover wrote:Pixee did have conjuctivitis, and had a green discharge and red eyes and like you, she got so stressed with the eye drops. I only managed 3 days worth if I got any in at all, so they gave me another one, Maxitrol drops, the first one was like cream, I just couldnt pry Pixees eyes open, the Maxitrol was like water, I managed to get them in by tricking her somehow, and when she was resting. Didnt have to touch her eyes either.

Its horrible when you have to do something to them that they don't like. Even if its for their own good. Sad

I know, it makes you feel so bad too. Sad
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:30

Caryll wrote:I'd get a 2nd opinion. If the anti-allergy tablets/drops aren't clearing it, and your fil's dog seems to be getting conjunctivitis, then it sounds like there's more to it than just an allergy.

In the meantime you could try holding a wet, used teabag against his eyes for a couple of minutes, twice a day. It often soothes sore eyes & may help a little without doing any harm!

Tea bag? Thanks! Will give that a go too...
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:31

Yes, just ordinary tea - pg tips or whatever! As long as it's still wet (and cool, of course) it can really soothe sore eyes - in humans as well as dogs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:36

I'm sure Ralph will try and eat the teabag!!! I'm going to do that tonight and find another vet for a second opinion...

I've removed loads of stuff from the house - trying to find out what's causing it if it's an allergy...

Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down