Broken tooth

4 posters

Go down

Broken tooth Empty Broken tooth

Post by Staffy lover Mon Oct 01 2012, 13:35

Just wanted some advice, but a visit to the vet is on the cards cos Pixee has broke her bottom long tooth, you know those two fangs ones they have top/bottom, its the bottom one. We were running round the fields yesterday and some idiot had left a bone china cup bang in the middle. Well Pixee went running over to it thinking it was a bottle, only to stand dazed then started to lip her mouth. She wouldnt let me check her mouth at all. I noticed today, she wont play with certain toys, not ever her ball, so I managed to check her teeth this time good, and found that broken tooth. That tells me one thing, its got to be hurting her. Has anyone had this problem and what was done?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Broken tooth Empty Re: Broken tooth

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 01 2012, 13:51

Sorry I havn't come across this myself, i would take my dog to the vet I think to get it looked at properly.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Oct 01 2012, 15:15

She has a broken canine tooth by the sounds of it. Normally, the vet will do one of two things depending on the severity of the fracture (some vets will take xrays of the tooth to determine this)

1) Remove the tooth
2) Root canal treatment
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Oct 01 2012, 15:30

Well I have just come back from the vets, wasnt going to take a chance, when she wouldnt ever play with her stagbar or any other toy. As Pixee gets very stressed out at the vets, they only manged to get a quick look to see that she has broke her canine tooth, and said its best taken out as it would only hurt her and go rotten. Poor Pixee was shaking so much the min we just walked through the doors. She had also been limping abit last few days, when she almost fell into the canal off the lock, she was on lead on harness, I managed to pull her out by the lead, and I think that hurt her leg abit. But because she was so stressed out at the vets, when they checked her leg, she was showing no pain, the vet said when they stressed they dont always show pain. Shes had a 24 hour pain killer injection. And goes back tomorrow morning to have her tooth pulled, and I am very upset about this. Dont know how I can bear to leave her there knowing how she is. Crying or Very sad
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 17:27

Always a worry our pups , she's in the best hands and its for her good , sure she will be fine and milk the sympathy when she gets out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 17:36

Poor Pixee >Big Grin< Good luck at the vet tomorrow, I'm sure she will be fine. She will need to be totally spoiled afterwards Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 01 2012, 17:55

Oh love you must be worried silly. Pixee will be ok, and there is nothing more you can do, enjoy your time tonight and tomorrow will fly past, she'll be back to herself before you know it, as for the limp, I wish sometimes they wouldn't be so resilient Xx Let us know how you go tomorrow Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 01 2012, 18:26

Sending hugs for Pixee tomorrow at the vet, please not to worry too much, I know easier said than done

>Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Oct 01 2012, 20:46

Thank you all group hug

Will let you know tomorrow. I feel so guilty at the moment, as she could not have her scraps due to the time. No food from 8pm. Tea was late.

One more question, how many of you on here have a staffie with either top or bottom canines missing? Just wondering if it changes their apperance? Would it cause any other problems along the line? I been on google, wish I hadnt, it appears removing the canines are a hard thing to do as they sometimes have to drill into the bones to remove the root??? nail biting
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 21:16

Staffy lover wrote:Thank you all group hug

Will let you know tomorrow. I feel so guilty at the moment, as she could not have her scraps due to the time. No food from 8pm. Tea was late.

One more question, how many of you on here have a staffie with either top or bottom canines missing? Just wondering if it changes their apperance? Would it cause any other problems along the line? I been on google, wish I hadnt, it appears removing the canines are a hard thing to do as they sometimes have to drill into the bones to remove the root??? nail biting

Whatever they have to do she'll be well under anaesthetic so won't feel a thing Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 22:22

Poor girl, hope everything works out >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 03 2012, 09:35

Broke my heart leaving Pixee at the vets yesterday, she was shaking so badly too. Ever managed to walk backwards out of her harness on the carpark, I had to carry her in. Picked her up after 4 and she was happy to see me but still very sleepy bless her. Brought her bed down into the lounge and I sat by her side all night till we went to bed. She had her tea, which was chicken and rice as advised by the vet that was a good sign. At the moment she is on one of the chairs in the conney soaking up the sun, but still very quiet too. I have to take her back next week for a post op check up, and I am not looking forward to it cos its just going to stress Pixee out massive time. Just happy to have her home Love Struck

The cost of all that came to £255 Surprised that includes mondays check up, injections etc. Although we have insurance, we still have the 75 to pay if we claim, just not sure if its worth claiming for, as it could push up the insurance next year, has that happened with any of you? Dont think we can claim the £30 for the check up on monday????
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 03 2012, 09:46

So pleased all went well, as for the insurance I have never had to claim, as you said the excess is £75 anyway and I think the highest bill I have had is about £150, so I personally didn't bother. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 10:56

Staffy lover wrote:One more question, how many of you on here have a staffie with either top or bottom canines missing? Just wondering if it changes their apperance? Would it cause any other problems along the line?

Bandit knocked his lower canine out trying to catch stones! It never changed his appearance & never bothered him in the least! He still chewed bones etc & had no problems with his food or anything.

Staffy lover wrote:The cost of all that came to £255 Surprised that includes mondays check up, injections etc. Although we have insurance, we still have the 75 to pay if we claim, just not sure if its worth claiming for, as it could push up the insurance next year, has that happened with any of you? Dont think we can claim the £30 for the check up on monday????

It's up to you whether you claim or not. A small amount like that won't affect the insurance too much, but you can always shop around for a better deal at renewal if you want. It isn't a 'pre-existing' condition so you won't need to claim again for anything related to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:16

Thank you Janey and Caryll. Be good to see Pixee back on her stagbars. She is so quiet at the mo. But has eaten her breakfast. I think I will take her for a nice little walk later this afternoon. She is fast asleep on sons bed now as his bedroom has the sun. Bless her Big Grin

Still thinking on the claim, see whay hubby says when hes home. I need to pick the form up from the vets today. They didnt have time to fill it in yesterday. And just go from there.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:29

The only real change with Bandit was that when he panted, his tongue used to hang out the side instead of the front! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:31

Lexi has broken most of her canines, she loves to chew abnormal things. The vet like yours just said leave them until they are a problem as removal is sometimes worse than a broken tooth. She had never had problems with them and the vet advised to leave them at her age. They dont effect her appearance outwardly to me anyway lol

As caryll said you can claim for this easy enough. Its worth a try anyway, after all thats what insurance is for!

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:32

Caryll wrote:The only real change with Bandit was that when he panted, his tongue used to hang out the side instead of the front! Laughing

Laughing I will have to see what Pixees tongue does now, on boy that has got me Laughing
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:38

Hayley wrote:Lexi has broken most of her canines, she loves to chew abnormal things. The vet like yours just said leave them until they are a problem as removal is sometimes worse than a broken tooth. She had never had problems with them and the vet advised to leave them at her age. They dont effect her appearance outwardly to me anyway lol

As caryll said you can claim for this easy enough. Its worth a try anyway, after all thats what insurance is for!

Its a shame Pixee broke hers down to the root or whatever it is, as it was causing her pain, she wanted to play with her toys but just wouldnt pick them up, thats what made me have another look at her canine and thats how I found it broke, and just knew it got to be hurting for her not to play with toys, wouldnt ever touch her breakfast.

And yes I agree, re claiming. Thank you all. Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down