Possible Allergy

3 posters

Go down

Possible Allergy Empty Possible Allergy

Post by Hilsie Sat Sep 01 2012, 11:56

For the past few months Millie has had an ear infection, eye infection and then sinus trouble. Vet has done a really good examination of her all times. Last medication seemed to work but on Wednesday night she started sort of coughing again. Its more like trying to get something out of her throat (sort of hard to explain) plus she's licking/eating her feet and eyes are watery. No scratching anywhere else, eating ok, otherwise seems healthy.

Took her back to vet and he again had a really good look at her and diagnosed that she has allergies. He wants to put her on an expensive drug called Atopica for 6 weeks. She has to take one a day for 6 weeks and then hopefully can bring it down to 2 a week probably for the rest of her life. So off I go home with 15 days supply and an appointment to see him again in 10 days.

Once home I read the information leaflet on Atopica and also on the net. Don't like what I'm reading at all and I haven't given her any. Is there an antihistamine for dogs? I just think this Atopica is a bit of an extreme drug for her and other things could have been tried first.

I'm thinking that maybe she's allergic to grass as I walked her last night on footpath/road only and she was not at her feet at all. Does anyone know might this be an all year round thing or is it maybe seasonal like hayfever we get?

She is insured so the cost isn't the problem it's the side effects concern me. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Hilsie
Hilsie
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Possible Allergy Empty Re: Possible Allergy

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:51

We have given Rocky Tesco own brand antihistamine tablets for allergic reactions before without any adverse reaction to the tablet, however you really should discuss this with the vet first before administering. I just gave Rocky half a tablet at a time and it worked a treat.

This is what the box looks like:

Possible Allergy 141%5C5010204615141%5CIDShot_225x225
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:24

Your vet wants to put her on a drug without doing any tests to see if she is allergic and what to, that is wrong, he should be investigating what she is allergic to.

Can you put up a list of ingredients in her food and I will see if I can find something, I take it that is her in your avatar. If I do find something it will just be a start, it will be up to you to find out if I am right by taking that food out of her meals. If it clears up then comes back when it is re introduced then she will be allergic to it. I will try grass as well once you give me the go ahead.

I used to have a dog that had several seizures a day due to food allergies, once I took those foods out he rarely had one, usually after a panic attack when he saw a strange dog, he was terrified of dogs he didn't know.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Possible Allergy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:20

It does sound like an allergy. Have you consulted a second vet or discussed with your current vet a desire to find out what she is allergic to? If it's a grass allergy you could wipe her down with a wet rag after her walks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down