Egg allergy ...??

2 posters

Go down

Egg allergy ...?? Empty Egg allergy ...??

Post by Kell Sat Sep 07 2013, 09:59

Chiquito has been having issues with what we are assuming to be allergies for a while now. For the last month they seem to have been particularly bad, culminating in him chewing all of the fur off his paws and down the outside of both back legs (which has resulted in several bouts of secondary infection). He is on a raw diet and has seen the vet many times ... treatments have included steroids, anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, special washes, special creams etc. He is now seeing a naturopath and is currently (last three weeks) being treated with homoeopathic remedies only.

Anyways .... the option of elimination diets has been thrown around several times, ultimately it always comes back to 'wait until he is 12 months or older unless there is nothing else we can do as the allergy/ies are much more likely to be environmental than food related'. I *think* though that there seems to be some connection between eggs, more frequent really bad smelling gas and the itching .... his poop is always really foul smelling but no other digestive changes with or without egg (as in his poop is firm and normal, no extra poo each day, no vomiting etc).

Wondering if anyone may have had similar skin/wind only symptoms with a food allergy (eggs or otherwise) or whether you think it is more likely to be environmental with these symptoms??

(Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading this far Smile)

Last edited by Kell on Sat Sep 07 2013, 10:04; edited 1 time in total
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Egg allergy ...?? Empty Re: Egg allergy ...??

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07 2013, 10:03

Aww poor chiquito Sad it definitely sounds like some sort of allergy doesn't it, can't help re the allergy to egg but I'm sure someone will be able too. Lots of Egg allergy ...?? 3198918699 Egg allergy ...?? 3198918699 to you both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07 2013, 10:06

If his poo/gas is foul smelling then I would guess that the allergy is either wholly digestive or a mixture of digestive/envionmental. Environmental allergies don't usually produce foul smelling poo/gas.

What meat do you give him as a main diet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Sep 07 2013, 10:36

He has chicken and fish everyday Caryll ... on top of this he has beef/lamb/pork/kangaroo depending upon the day/week.

Have tried removing beef as we were told that it is 'high allergy' but there was no change. (I avoid rabbit, emu and goat to keep unique proteins incase we do have to go down the exclusion path).

His gas has always been reasonably smelly, though I think it is getting worse (easily clears the lounge room or car) and the smell of his poo is often very strong (I can smell it from the 2nd story verandah when he poops under the house). His poo smells like off/sour dairy products or rotten cabbage (or a mix of both if you can imagine that lovely mix ....).

Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08 2013, 14:03

Vinnie has similar reaction to anything with chicken Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Tue Sep 10 2013, 12:19

Inezmaria70 wrote:Vinnie has similar reaction to anything with chicken Smile 
I think I have been so focussed on his allergies being to some plant or grass that I had never considered any other option so it's good to know I might be on the right track with the food - thank you Inez Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Wed Sep 11 2013, 03:37

This sounds exactly like what Jax is going through at the moment Sad Except, Jax doesn't have the digestive problems... so I think his is environmental. Like you, I'm trying everything and nothing seems to be helping his poor sore, itchy paws. Very frustrating!
kkjax
kkjax
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11 2013, 10:57

kkjax wrote:This sounds exactly like what Jax is going through at the moment :(Except, Jax doesn't have the digestive problems... so I think his is environmental. Like you, I'm trying everything and nothing seems to be helping his poor sore, itchy paws. Very frustrating!
Have you tried wiping his paws with a solution of Apple Cider Vinegar every time you come in from a walk? It often helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Wed Sep 11 2013, 17:45

Yes! I've been using apple cider vinegar on him every day, (soaking his paws after walks) and we also have some oatmeal medicated wipes to wipe him down whenever he goes outside. He even gets apple cider vinegar orally in his water. Nothing seems to be helping right now!
He's been on antibiotics for 2 weeks for a bacterial infection, but I am wondering if his worsening paws are actually a yeast infection as a result of the antibiotics and him already itching/scratching. We are headed back to the vets tomorrow to hopefully try and figure it out Sad
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11 2013, 19:55

If it's a yeast infection then the apple cider vinegar would show some improvement.

However, I wouldn't use an oatmeal wipe on his paws if you're also using ACV.

If it's a result of the anti-bs then a tablespoon of natural live yoghurt a day for a week or so will restore his natural gut flora & may help the healing process.

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Wed Sep 11 2013, 23:54

I just started adding the yogurt today! Hopefully that helps. We only use the wipes on his belly and body (not his paws) because our area is filthy at the moment (due to condo construction), full of dust and dirt. They're just oatmeal and water wipes, I figured less harsh than having to constantly bathe him. I guess the apple cider does show a bit of improvement... but the gross paws only just started showing up about a week ago - maybe not enough time to solve the issue and get it under control. He also has two weird patches of hairloss and irritated skin (one on his neck and one on his elbow) that are oval-ish shaped. The vet tested it last time for ringworm and it wasn't... but they're still there and not really improving, so hopefully they can figure that out tomorrow too.
Oh the joys of having a dog with skin issues at wits end 
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down