skin allergy

5 posters

Go down

Smile skin allergy

Post by marvolo Wed Mar 06 2013, 01:07

Hi m 17 month old suffers with poorly feet and a couple of balding patches. iv been told by the vets that this is an allergy and i should change his food and give him an antihistamine. anyone got any advise on what food i should change too and any ointments for the skin pls xx thanks
marvolo
marvolo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : The Great Marvolo Riddle
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: skin allergy

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 01:11

What food is he on now? Lots of people give puritin for any type of grass allergy.

Back to top Go down

Post by marvolo Wed Mar 06 2013, 01:12

hi hayley , he on wagg at the moment. x
marvolo
marvolo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 01:30

Eeep.

Not a very good brand of food to be honest. But don't feel bad, i was on wagg when i came here too. I think the price gets everyone. But you need to pay for a healthy dog. I'm now on wainwrights, but if Marvolo has allergies you may need to consider the more expensive hypo-allergenic brands.

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Wed Mar 06 2013, 09:55

Hi my dog also is suffering from a suspected food allergy, she has thinning fur on her whole underbelly, chest, armpit and behind her ears, and is licking her paws a lot.

Vet suggested wafcol salmon and potato dry food, it's actually not that expensive and you can buy on amazon. Our vet suggested feeding only this food, no treats or any other foods at all for 12 weeks to see if the symptons cleared up, if they do then you can start re introducing other foods to check for reactions/flare ups.

For her thinning fur, another member here suggested dermacton spray, google it and maybe give that a try?

For us it's been about 8 weeks on the wafcol, some improvement in symptons but not much, we've had about 10 days on the dermacton spray, I would say it's made a small difference but as we're using it to promote fur re growth I think it'll take time before we see real results?

The same member also suggested a supplement to their diet to promote fur regrowth and healthy skin, so I may try that soon to hopefully get some better results!

*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:21

Marvolo - Wagg is a bad food, if I were you, I'd quickly change as Hayley suggested. Wainwrights or James Wellbeloved from Pets At Home are good hypoallergenic dog foods.

Karen - I had Zeus on Wafcol salmon and potato (among countless other foods) because he had a suspected food allergy too, he'd always be licking/scratching all over his body. Wafcol didn't do much to be honest, I moved him onto Orijen and he's much better. The supplements I also put in his food (not altogether at once, mix them up on a daily basis) to help with his skin/fur are:

1) Salmon oil - helps skin moisture + excellent for omega 3
2) Olive oil - helps skin moisture
2) Raw egg mashed up with shell - the egg is excellent for skin/fur and the shell provides extra calcium for bones
3) Apple Cider Vinegar - not specifically for skin/hair but mainly for general wellbeing, would definatly recommend
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:47

Hi Toni.

A lot of dogs seem to have issues with this Wagg food so I'd try and wean him off it if possible. As Hayley says, hypoallergenic food would be a great option for you.

I feed James Wellbeloved which is hypoallergenic and fairly well priced. If you have a Pets At Home local to you they normally do great deals on it! Logan has thrived on it and he is a tremenously picky eater. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Wed Mar 06 2013, 16:57

Thanks to be honest I have my doubts about the wafcol purely because it's a fish based food, and Mia was eating lots of fish flavoured food when this all flared up, the little research I have done seems to indicate we should have put her on a completely new protein source she hasn't had before!
Anyway she's got a few more weeks of this wafcol so to keep the vet happy ill persevere but I'll definitly look at the Orijen food, she's never tried this before so I'd say it's worth a go! Thanks for the info!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by marvolo Fri Mar 08 2013, 21:34

thanks guys im gonna get him some new food tomorow and we will see. how much oliv oil should i give him goldie? x
marvolo
marvolo

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Fri Mar 08 2013, 21:46

hey, i would advise the same, a brand of food been first priority. I use wainwrights and tyke coat and skin has improved dramatically. Research foods first Big Grin

please keep us updated
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Fri Mar 08 2013, 22:09

I too know what your going through an its so frustrating aswell as you feel awful for your dog going through this ..

My 2 staffs have both had skin issue's but i seriously think i am on the right road now .. I also use the Dermacton Spray (with FANTASTIC results) and a supplement called Viacutan Plus which is brilliant for the skin and i give them regular Piriton if they get abit itchy also they are fed on Orijen dry food with Lily's Kitchen (tinned) mixed in sometimes for a treat ...
Fingers xd you get it sorted x
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down