Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please

+3
Steve
Kathy
Coco
7 posters

Go down

Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please  Empty Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please

Post by Coco Wed Aug 08 2012, 12:42

I tried going on a jog for the 1st time with my 7 month old female Coco this morning i have seen her run before and know shes fast but she was just trailing behind i had to keep tugging to lead and when i let her off it was even worse she just sat down in the middle of the path ... i started jogging away thinking she would eventually follow but she just stayed there ?!? ... shes great off the lead on walks stays close by whilst still having a good sniff around but its just like she was confused or somthing , I wasnt going to fast at all as it was my 1st jog too lol .. gonna try taking some treat tommorow morning but any more tips welcome . do u think im better thith a shorter lead or my extendable one ? x
Coco
Coco
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Coco
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please  Empty Re: Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 08 2012, 12:47

I dont know if this kind of thing would be of any use to you. You would then be handsfree if you like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Waist-Jogging-exercise-Leash/dp/B00178LDWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1344426349&sr=1-1

Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please  412HyOsa-hL._SL500_AA300_
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please  Empty Re: Tried jogging with dog TOTAL disaster .. tips please

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 12:57

She was probably really confused, if you usually walk then all of a sudden you are running away she might not have quite understood. I would try going for your walk then when you let her off and she starts to run about you run with her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 13:36

Kathy's suggestion is a good one. I find that my boy likes to be infront when running and I have the leash around my waist. Just keep sharp so he/she does not cross infront of you and trip you up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08 2012, 15:33

I go ruining ever day with both mine at the same time.

I have a waist belt they are attached to and I taught them 'run' and 'pull' and they run together up front and pull me along Wink

Some dogs don't seem to get they have to out front though it can take a bit of patience

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 08 2012, 17:04

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/runningwithyourstaffords.html

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Aug 09 2012, 05:08

I also have that running belt and use it with a harness on Ledger as he will just stop! He knows on the harness he can pull a bit although at times he wants to go faster and tries to snatch the lead into his mouth and properly pull me!

Before I first ran with him I checked out the CaniX website and picked up a few tips for commands unoriginally I use 'mush' if he is going too slow. Half the battle is learning to see potential sniff/leg lift sites before he does as the lead does have good elasticity but a sudden stop can cause quite a shock to both of us
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Aug 09 2012, 07:49

Interesting. Something I am thinking of doing on a morning.

Does a dog get the same satisfaction from a run rather than being able to sniff around and scent mark etc on a 'normal' walk?

Do you guys leave 10 minutes at the end of the walk to let them sniff around and do their doggy 1's and 2's?

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:39

Just my opinion, but I'd say that Coco is still too young to be running with you. At the moment she should probably be having 35 minutes on lead walking with some off lead play/running around. Running, on lead, for even 10 - 15 minutes will be too much for her tendons/growth plates.

I'd wait till she's at least 15 - 18 months old, and then introduce it gradually.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:42

Never quite got the hang of this myself. Too many sudden stops to sniff for my taste. I still try but we normally don't get more than 300-400 meters.

Coco is a bit young though and should be at least a year old and to be safe 18 months before jogging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Aug 09 2012, 12:02

wow this is interesting. I might try this too. I do agree that Coco is too young yet.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Aug 09 2012, 14:23

With Ledger we have a slow start to allow for the initial leg lifting, tbh he has a favourite poop spot on the run route and he will still try and stop and sniff but its just getting used to pre-empting it slowing down myself and mushing him on as for satisfaction he gets more from stretching his legs abit by jogging than he does from walking the same route
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Aug 09 2012, 14:30

This is something I deal with daily. I run with all THREE. The boys love it and are on a belt leash. Piggie doesn't love it as much like Coco and needs me to start very gradually and then she still trails a bit. However, Caryll is right. Coco is too young at the moment to run with you. I would wait but you can also do some power walking to get her used to jogging. In about a year, you can begin slow jogging and then running will be easier for you both. Probably not what you hoped to hear, but it is for the best.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down