Jackieb
Andy
Nosipho
Kathy
Kev13
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Meal time ideas?? - Page 2 Empty Meal time ideas??

Post by Kev13 Thu Jun 28 2012, 12:59

First topic message reminder :

Hello everyone:D

have a quick question - I addopted Missy about a month ago now,as i have mentioned in other posts she has been great.setteled in well, well behaved and training going well etc...but she is been very fussy at meal times.

i was told by previous owners that she eats dry food twice daily.no scraps and perhaps weekly/fortnightly treats such as a bit of chicken, beef or tuna.

i tried to stick to this but when she wasnt eating very well probibly because of the stress of moving and change of enviroment etc i decided to mix in a a tiny bit(not even 1/4 of a tin) of wet food into her dry food. this worked a treat and she ate all of her meals(and seemed to realy enjoy it:)) for the next few days each with a tiny bit of wet food mixed in.

this was great untill we put her back on the plain dry food now she just wont eat it!! she will sometimes pick out the "meaty bits" but will leave all the rest. i even went and bought her a 9kg bag of her favourate dry food!!!

just worried she will not be geting the nutrition she needs or the energy for her long walks.

any suggestions?? Smile

cheers
Kev
Kev13
Kev13
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 D.O.B = Nov 5th 2009
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Meal time ideas?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Meal time ideas??

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 10:39

Joj wrote:Benny came to us on chappie dry, we changed him to arden grange but he still wasnt too impressed - he would eat a few mouthfuls and walk away. We tried him with raw mince and some bones a few months ago - he loves it. He eats his mince in about 30 seconds. We normally give a couple of chicken portions or other small bones too. He has never eaten so well, coat is shiny and now looks forward to his food Smile i was really sceptical at first - i cant stand raw meat, but i can see it is doing him good. Also the mince comes in packs 80p a day and chicken portions are in a big bag 3.99 and will last a couple of weeks - cheaper than the more expensive dry foods.

If you intend to feed completely raw, you need to do it properly or they won't flourish. You will need to add some offal every so often (kidney, liver, spleen etc). Have a quick read through this as it'll help you understand the proportions....

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Joj Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:08

Thanks Caryll - weve not been doing this for long so are still learning, he does seem to enjoy it much more than dry though.
I have given him liver and kidney (small amounts with his meat) but is not keen, he will eat everything else and come back to them eventually. He prefers chicken portions to other bones, we also have some meaty chunks that he likes. It is a much harder diet to work out - there are so many different methods on the internet. i have a book that said add veg, joined a yahoo group that said no veg and that he didnt have enough bone and this one that seems more meat based. i get very confused but still much better than a bowl full of dried Smile
Joj
Joj
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benny
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:41

Stick to one system, as there are several & you'll get confused.

The one mainly used by members here is the Prey Model diet. This one isn't as regimented as some of the others so you can mix & match the food you give a bit more.

Dempsey isn't that keen on offal on its own, but will eat it if there's some beef or lamb mixed with it. Ella's dogs on the other hand will eat anything put in front of them! Laughing Have a look through this...
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19197-what-s-in-the-bowl-today-graphic-photos-raw#273018

Back to top Go down

Post by Joj Thu Nov 01 2012, 13:51

Lo - i did see ellas photos the other day, my kids were fascinated by the rabbits Big Grin dont think i could be that brave!
Joj
Joj

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benny
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 17:17

Aye the boys will eat ANYTHING Rolling Eyes haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2