Meal time

5 posters

Go down

Meal time Empty Meal time

Post by yorkshire_Paul Fri Oct 14 2011, 22:25

When it comes to meal time milo hardly eats it on his own 9 times out 10 i have to sit and feed it to him out of my hand or throw it for him to get it lol, ive changed his food once and hes still the same, ive tryed giving him so long to eat it and if its not gone in that time i take it away and give him nothing till tea and it worked yesterday but back to square one today, my wife tipped it into her dogs bowl and he ate it down in one go but then struggled at tea even tryin it in my wifes dog bowl as it went well this morning doing this, its just crazy, im thinkin could it be the food he's on but he always eats it if i feed him it but can take a while and sometimes he does eat it without me having to feed him, maybe he's not hungry but treats go within seconds, anyone had this problem? should i stick with taking his food away after a certain amount of time or maybe change his food?

cheers
yorkshire_Paul
yorkshire_Paul
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : milo
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Meal time Empty Re: Meal time

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 22:34

no its not the food its the dog being picky. lemmy has times like this. my son will make it a game of catch or i have to hand feed him but we got fed up of this and wise to lemmy. he is a little and often dog rather a big meal. we measure out the amount he is suposed to eat and just keep topping up his bowl from mid morning and as the day goes on always making sure there is something in it and it sometimes takes him till 10 oclock at night to finish it. he loves his scrambled egg for his breakfast thats down in one go but the rest of the day he picks. no dog will starve themselves unless there is a problem so dont worry about it

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 14 2011, 22:47

I would stop feeding from your hand, your only pandering to his wims!

Feed him and leave it down for half hour, then take it up. A dog will not let itself starve. he'll eat when he is hungry.

Sounds harsh but he has to learn and I know you feel mean taking it but honestly its better to let him feed rather than make it a game. Moo doesn' fiinish all the time, she used too. I add gravy or tuna sometimes for a treat, but otherwise if she doesn't want it then thats her choice x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 22:54

I would leave his food down for 15 minutes, whatever isn't eaten is taken away and he get nothing until his next meal, a healthy dog won't starve them selves so don't worry if he doesn't eat much for a couple of days.

Last edited by ella on Sat Oct 15 2011, 14:59; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Fri Oct 14 2011, 23:00

_julie_ wrote:he is a little and often dog rather a big meal. we measure out the amount he is suposed to eat and just keep topping up his bowl from mid morning and as the day goes on always making sure there is something in it and it sometimes takes him till 10 oclock at night to finish it.

We do the same with Violet, when her bowl is empty, we top it up. She's a sneaky eater though - her bowl looks full all day, then all of a sudden, we check it and it's empty!
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkshire_Paul Fri Oct 14 2011, 23:21

Thanks for your replys, its good to know he wont starve. Sometimes he can walk to his food a quick sniff and walks away, he's a little monkey but from tomorrow i'll stick with leaving it for half an hour then take it away and see how i get on.
thanks again.
yorkshire_Paul
yorkshire_Paul

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : milo
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Sat Oct 15 2011, 06:40

I totally agree with the above. We have a 12 week old pup and feeding is hit or miss. One meal he'll wolf down. The next bearly sniff at. But we take it away.

Your dog won't starve. Don't worry Smile
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Meal time Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 12:41

Agree with all above. No dog will starve themselves when food is offered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hilsie Sat Oct 15 2011, 14:15

Similar here - Millie will clear the bowl one day and eat hardly anything for one or two days. Although I think she is very thin on it she has loads of energy and her coat is gleaming so she must be getting enough to do her.
Hilsie
Hilsie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down