1 meal a day

4 posters

Go down

1 meal a day  Empty 1 meal a day

Post by _Jason_ Mon May 06 2013, 08:47

I was told to feed my puppy a few times a day but i have just been putting all his food in the bowl mixed with wet stuff in the morning and he eats abit of it then goes back to his food threwout the day

Thats ok to do ?
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

1 meal a day  Empty Re: 1 meal a day

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 08:53

Dogs do well with routine. It's best to feed him three (or four) times a day at specific times rather than leave him to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:14

As Tara says try to get him used to a routine , if the age is correct in your avatar then 4 meals a day at the moment

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:29

Agree with above advice.. I used to leave Steffs food down and she would go back to it when she wanted and she became a realllyy fussy eater and just stopped eating any of her food at all.. She now gets 2 feeds a day and scoffs them both down Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Mon May 06 2013, 09:29

I dont think hes 8 weeks yet.when i asked the guy when i picked him up last week is he 8 weeks i thought he ignored me but my mate who i was with said heard him say hes 6 to 7 weeks old meaning hes just over 6 weeks if thats true that makes him 8 weeks on wednesday or thursday
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 09:37

He'll need four meals a day then. Try to do them at specific times Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 10:56

At this age we fed darcy 4 times a day, 8am, 12 noon,4pm,8pm, we then reduced to 3 meals a day at about 6 months, and now at 9 1/2 months she's fed twice a day, shes thrived, hope this helps Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 12:08

3/4 meals a day would be ideal for a pup of his age. Smile He's young, so he won't be able to absorb all the nutrients from just one meal per day. Also, feeding such a large amount at once could lead to intestinal problems such as bloat, which can be serious. It's best to separate it into portions throughout the day. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Mon May 06 2013, 13:27

Another advantage of feeding several times a day is, you can teach him the "wait " ( a couple of seconds is enough ) command rather than letting him just dive in. This has a couple of benefits. Being allowed to eat when you decide helps establish his place in the pack. You can also use this time to touch him briefly while he is eating so as to avoid him becoming food posessive.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Mon May 06 2013, 14:33

Eleanor wrote:3/4 meals a day would be ideal for a pup of his age. Smile He's young, so he won't be able to absorb all the nutrients from just one meal per day. Also, feeding such a large amount at once could lead to intestinal problems such as bloat, which can be serious. It's best to separate it into portions throughout the day. Smile

aye but hes not eating all his food in one go,hes not even eating a quartar of it,i just put food in his bowl and he eats small bits threwout the day untill its finished,so hes getting all he needs threw out the day anytime he wants.

_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 16:06

Not a good idea. For a start it will be difficult to house train him as there won't be a structure to his food passing through.

It can also promote fussiness, and if you're using wet food as well as dry you run the risk of food poisoning!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 16:27

staffyforever wrote:
Eleanor wrote:3/4 meals a day would be ideal for a pup of his age. Smile He's young, so he won't be able to absorb all the nutrients from just one meal per day. Also, feeding such a large amount at once could lead to intestinal problems such as bloat, which can be serious. It's best to separate it into portions throughout the day. Smile

aye but hes not eating all his food in one go,hes not even eating a quartar of it,i just put food in his bowl and he eats small bits threwout the day untill its finished,so hes getting all he needs threw out the day anytime he wants.

He's just being fussy. A healthy dog won't starve. Leave the food out for 10 minutes, and if he doesn't finish his meal, pick the bowl up and leave it until next meal time. Eventually he'll learn he has to eat to get his food, not just pick at it whenever he chooses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 18:48

staffyforever wrote:

I understand why you'd think that, but that leaves the risk of the food getting stale and/or attracting flies, which is the last thing you want inside your young pup. If flies lay their eggs on his food and he eats it, that could mean a hefty vets bill!

There's the issue of nutrients as well. If he's only picking the bits he wants throughout the day, there's no telling if he's actually getting the correct essential nutrients from his diet, which could inhibit his growth and development.

He also most likely isn't getting enough routine to his diet, so his digestive system will be working at irregular times. It really is a lot better if his meal is split into regular portions at designated times during the day. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon May 06 2013, 20:33

its always bad to just let a dog graze food all day long not just for the suggestions above. in addition to the above posts you will get so much more out of a dog with structured feeding and training at the same time. instead of just one feed you will be seen as a provider 4 times a day and that has a great phsycological impact on the dog and how it reacts to you. always get him to do a task for food even if its just a simple sit command as it will reinforce getting good things for doing what he's told.
I subscribe to the nothing in life is free with my two and although they aint perfect its helped no end with the training.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Mon May 06 2013, 20:45

A pup that age needs 4 meals a day till 12 weeks old.

You will probably find feeding strict feeding times promotes a dog who is much more likely to eat their meals.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
1 meal a day  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 21:03

At 8 weeks old, a puppy really needs 4 meals a day. Not a huge amount, because his tummy is still small. Can you tell us what food (and how much) you are putting down for Brox to eat throughout the day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 21:13

The food will go off and most likely become covered in fly eggs and maggots in the summer. It will also encourage bad toileting routines as the food won't be going through at the same time everyday then he will just poo anytime of the day.

Tbh you sound a little like you can't be bothered remembering to feed 4 times a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down