advocate

2 posters

Go down

advocate Empty advocate

Post by crystel Mon Jun 25 2012, 15:35

Hi guys
Hope you and all your doggies are well.
I was just wondering where you all stood on monthly advocate treatments.
In all my years of owning dogs i have always been responsible and ultimately put the best care into my dogs,
But i am really starting too fear that we are over medicating our pups.
Ava saw the vets she had her jabs was flead then wormed then given advocate i carried on with the 3mnth course but the little thing got a sore on her neck when i was applying it and after the vets had a bad tummy for 3days,
I have read up alot on this and there are some vets that are against the use of advocate monthly and back the over medication opinion.
Ava doesn,t eat slugs and snails, i know we all have our own views on this i was just wondering how we all felt.
One vet said only 20% of his clients used lungworm treatment and yet he had never had a case of it in 25yrs of treating,
It made me think...!! Especially as i have now found out that the big main lungworm webpage is run by the manufactors of Advocate but doesn,t advertise this!! there are 4 types of lung worm not one drug treats all four of them its such a tough call.
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

advocate Empty Re: advocate

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:21

I definitely think pets are overmedicated. Yes, i worm regularly only because i know she eats things that she shouldnt (i.e. mice) but i would not be using something unless it was NEEDED. i have only had to flea her once and that is recently when the neighbours cats kept infecting my own cat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:22

I don't use it because I won't use flea treatment unless there's a need.

My lungworm prevention comes with his wormers every 3 months. I use Milbemax from the vets. I always worm because the Toxocara worm can have devastating effects on young children.

I also don't vaccinate every year - I just do the puppy jabs, the 1st annual booster & then every three years.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Mon Jun 25 2012, 16:28

Caryll wrote:I don't use it because I won't use flea treatment unless there's a need.

My lungworm prevention comes with his wormers every 3 months. I use Milbemax from the vets. I always worm because the Toxocara worm can have devastating effects on young children.

I also don't vaccinate every year - I just do the puppy jabs, the 1st annual booster & then every three years.
Hi Caryll i was very interesed in your post as i was told too switch too Milbemax so thats just a 3mnth treatment is it a tablet? as Ava had a reaction too a skin treatment.
The vaccination debate, i have always felt we over treat our dogs, but my vets threatened too take me off their list if i didn,t get her yearly jab done, i really wanted too cut back too 3yrs so was disgusted with them. angry
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 17:02

i have never vaccinated until this year (apart from puppy jabs and booster) because there were actual cases of parvo in the area. lexi doesnt get walked in the local area though but i did it incase a stray got near our yard or something. i have seen horrific things happen to animals due to vaccinations so i am always weary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 25 2012, 17:20

Rocky has Effipro spot on flea/tick treatment every 8 weeks.

He also has Drontal Plus Flavour wormer tablet treatment every 3 months.

Drontal Plus Flavour tablets control all intestinal worms found in dogs in the UK.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 17:24

Only problem is they dont cover lung worms kathy, which milbemax does

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 25 2012, 17:37

The only thing I have read is that milbemax contains ivermectin and is not advisable for collies or collie x. Rocky is Staffy X Border Collie.

does Milbemax stop them getting the lungworm infection??

Has anyone heard of using Panacur??

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 18:31

Why would it not be suitable for that type of dog only? Thats very interesting, i have never heard of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 18:34

http://www.colliehealth.org/ivermectin.html

there you go

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25 2012, 18:58

kathytake2 wrote:The only thing I have read is that milbemax contains ivermectin and is not advisable for collies or collie x. Rocky is Staffy X Border Collie.

does Milbemax stop them getting the lungworm infection??

Has anyone heard of using Panacur??

Bella was given Panacur when she was getting her wormer in powder form but she was changed onto drontal plus when she went onto tablets.

I didn't know that about collies. It's good to know as Millie is a lab x collie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down