how far should we be walking 4 month old pup?

3 posters

Go down

how far should we be walking 4 month old pup? Empty how far should we be walking 4 month old pup?

Post by Girly Wed May 23 2012, 15:10

hi - Jellybean is almost 4 months old, and loves walkies especially when off lead on a disused railway. She goes and goes without stopping or appearing tired, but then is WIPED OUT. Is that OK? I read somewhere that it should be 5 minutes of exercise for every month old she is, but 20 minutes a day doesn't seem enough. Are we working her too hard walking her a good mile/2 miles?

Last edited by Girly on Wed May 23 2012, 15:29; edited 1 time in total
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
how far should we be walking 4 month old pup? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

how far should we be walking 4 month old pup? Empty Re: how far should we be walking 4 month old pup?

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 15:27

I played by the rules with Tilly , remember she's only just developing , you don't want to overstress her

Back to top Go down

how far should we be walking 4 month old pup? Empty Re: how far should we be walking 4 month old pup?

Post by goldie87 Wed May 23 2012, 15:33

from all the info ive gathered and asking people on here, it is 5 minutes per month. i take zeus out on three 15 minute walks at the moment, yes it doesnt seem much, and he could probably go longer, but as dave has stressed, theyre still developing and you don't want to put too much stress on her muscles/joints etc
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Wed May 23 2012, 15:35

i was thinking that too, just wasn't sure if the 5 min/month applied to all breeds - we might cut the walking down a bit then. thanks for the feedback, more welcome of course!

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed May 23 2012, 16:22

The general rule is 5 minutes per month however it is more important in large and giant breeds. I think it just applies to on lead, pavement 'forced' walking so a little romp off lead in the park for example shouldn't count.

If you want to do a bit more each day then it's better you break it down into smaller chunks with rest in between, for example, if you want to do 30 minutes a day then go out 5 times for 5 minutes each time or 4 times for 7/8 minutes rather than just once for 30 minutes or twice for 15 Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 23 2012, 16:48

I've always taken it as 5 minutes per month per walk. So you could do 3 walks of 20 minutes each.

However, you could walk him to the park for 10 minutes, let him play/rest off lead for 15 minutes & then walk 10 minutes back & he'd be ok. It'd on lead walking that should be taken easy. Off lead isn't so bad as long as the pup isn't chasing balls etc & is allowed to rest whenever he needs to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 24 2012, 00:17

Caryll wrote:I've always taken it as 5 minutes per month per walk. So you could do 3 walks of 20 minutes each.

However, you could walk him to the park for 10 minutes, let him play/rest off lead for 15 minutes & then walk 10 minutes back & he'd be ok. It'd on lead walking that should be taken easy. Off lead isn't so bad as long as the pup isn't chasing balls etc & is allowed to rest whenever he needs to.

This is what I've always done as well. Mental stimulatoin like seek or training sessions will help with tire her out as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Mon May 28 2012, 13:18

ahhh OK thanks - really good suggestions. I wasn't thinking 20 mins per WALK, but per DAY total. Seemed like not a lot at all. That makes sense, we'll limit it to that. Good advice, thanks!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28 2012, 13:35

agree with whats been said, good luck with the walks and dont forget pics

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Mon May 28 2012, 13:37

here's my facebook album of her - she's too cute Love Struck

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150789117911672.467088.565556671&type=3

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down