+3
Kathy
Buster's_Mum
cg
7 posters

Go down

Sad dangerous dogs

Post by cg Tue May 15 2012, 07:06

Twice in the past few weeks now I have woken and watched the news to find a story relating to dangerous dogs and the increase in the sentencing. Now I don't mind that, what does upset me though is that every dog pictured in the footage sometimes up to 5/6 dogs are all staffies. No wonder some members of the public who haven't a clue are left with the opinion that they are dangerous.

The truth couldn't be more wrong, they are very loyal dogs and most jack russells etc are dangerous with how fiesty they are, although I wouldn't tar them with the dangerous dog brush either. Any dog can be dangerous if brought up wrong.

All I wish is that the news would actually show footage of the dogs that are on the dangerous dogs list and not just the easiest breed to point the finger at which aren't even dangerous. It upsets me. Sad

I took Butkus out the other day and a guy struggled to control his dog that was a shitzu and the Shitzu started going nuts at Butkus and snapping, yet Butkus didn't even look at the other dog and just walked by. Yet I'm the one that gets the funny look like I've done something wrong?! confused Surprised

It's crazy i dont know
cg
cg
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Butkus
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: dangerous dogs

Post by Buster's_Mum Tue May 15 2012, 08:17

The media doesn't help when they always show pictures of staffies when reporting dangrous dogs. Buster is as far from dangerous as you can get. Me and OH were discussing it last night after he got some comments from someone he saw at work about how Buster was gonna "rip the kids faces off" and after Buster had been pinned to the floor by a cocker spaniel who was stood over him growling in his face! They pulled there dog off saying "sorry, he's getting over excited" but imagine if it was the other way round!

My eldest is going to a friends house tonight after school. She asked if he was ok with dogs as she has a 17 month old lab. I said yes because we have two dogs. When I told her we had a staffy she just said "oh" in a dissapointed way. I don't think her son will be coming to our house any time soon Rolling Eyes

The little comments and looks get annoying, but for the most part I let them go over my head (you should try walking a hairless chinese crested, some of the comments you get while walking LuLu will give anyone a thick skin!). All I think to myself is they are the ones missing out on a loving, happy dog. Smile
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
dangerous dogs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue May 15 2012, 08:54

The press and media coverage has been very unfair on this breed of dog. As said any other breed that gets in the face of another is just a bit excited but with a Staffy its another matter, makes my blood boil too. at wits end

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:37

The media is a virus. I've always wanted to write and love writing stories about things, so i wanted to be a journalist. But i couldn't bring myself to write a bad story just because my boss said so. I would only ever write what I believe so in that respect i wouldn't make a very good journalist lol

Back to top Go down

Post by cg Tue May 15 2012, 11:59

Glad i'm not the only one that gets the comments and funny looks!!!! and that I'm not the only one getting fed up of the bad reputation they have.

Comes to something when my dads bichon is like a rottweiler and very grumpy and snappy, yet my dad doesn't like Butkus because of the reputation they got, even though he's never even looked at a dog the wrong way.

Talk about unfair Rolling Eyes

I feel the same as you Equi I coudn't write about something that I didn't believe.
cg
cg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 12:01

Never been a fan of the media

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 12:14

I might write a story abut a staffy. kids book like. wonder what i could do it about. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue May 15 2012, 13:23

Good idea about the book Hayley, why not take it a step further and get some ideas together.

Maybe centre it around a Staffy in a rescue centre, why he is there, how he got to be there and what we could do to put it right for him. Sorry but I am no writer and would take years to put it together.

I think educating the young about such problems would be a very step on the way to sorting things out.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye86 Tue May 15 2012, 15:12

Me and my fella have just been on about it and saying how it's pretty much propaganda! How is anyone meant to walk their staffy freely without the brainwashed masses crossing the road to avoid contact with our "devil dogs".

It REALLY p*sses me off when every dangerous dog article wangs random pictures/footage of a staff on it. It's bloody infuriating! I really wish there was some way I could raise awareness or complain about this media cr*p, I'd even go as far as inviting David Cameron to my house for a brew and let Skye 'maul' him with kisses! Ha. That's saying something, I bloody hate the Tories! Tongues
Skye86
Skye86
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 12/5/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 15:17

Skye86 wrote: I bloody hate the Tories! Tongues

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue May 15 2012, 15:40

Hey yes write that book. You could write all the stories about the re homed dogs, and how they are doing too. Cos its all down to how the people who re home them teach them and love them. And in time the dogs come to love you and learn from you. You go for it. thumbs up
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by cg Wed May 16 2012, 06:32

Skye86 wrote:Me and my fella have just been on about it and saying how it's pretty much propaganda! How is anyone meant to walk their staffy freely without the brainwashed masses crossing the road to avoid contact with our "devil dogs".

It REALLY p*sses me off when every dangerous dog article wangs random pictures/footage of a staff on it. It's bloody infuriating! I really wish there was some way I could raise awareness or complain about this media cr*p, I'd even go as far as inviting David Cameron to my house for a brew and let Skye 'maul' him with kisses! Ha. That's saying something, I bloody hate the Tories! Tongues

the only thing with that would be the media wouldn't want to know because it doesn't favour their opinion!!!!!
i can just see it if it did tho...... cameron licked to death by devil dog Laughing
cg
cg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Wed May 16 2012, 08:46

Good Morning, Our local paper doing a piece on dangerous dogs (staffies in particular) reported last year that 165 people attended the local hospital with dog bites. on closer inspection by readers and SBT lovers, only 5 dogs involved were a bull terrier breed or crosses. The rest were labradors, springer spaniels, poodles yorkshire terriers.
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Wed May 16 2012, 20:29

Ha!
kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by cg Mon May 21 2012, 06:31

Panda wrote:Good Morning, Our local paper doing a piece on dangerous dogs (staffies in particular) reported last year that 165 people attended the local hospital with dog bites. on closer inspection by readers and SBT lovers, only 5 dogs involved were a bull terrier breed or crosses. The rest were labradors, springer spaniels, poodles yorkshire terriers.

My point exactly Big Grin applause
cg
cg

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down