Dangerous Dogs

4 posters

Go down

Dangerous Dogs  Empty Dangerous Dogs

Post by HoneyBear Tue Jan 29 2013, 10:43

I have just returned home from Honey's final puppy pre school class- she graduated which is exciting!!! It was here where I was informed of this law:

In Queensland, where I live , we have a ridiculous law!!! If my dog is reported to the council to be causing someone fear or being a menace then this "label" sticks for the rest of the dogs life! Ramifications are I must have 6 ft fences concreted in the whole way around my property, my dog must wear a muzzle when out of my yard, I must have signs on every entrance to my property stating a "dangerous dog lives here, enter at own risk!!!" my council registration goes up x 10 and I am not allowed to take my dog to parks or dog parks for the rest of their life!!! at wits end

This is without my dog biting, hurting, or the incident being investigated!!! An example was given today: Where a woman was walking down the street. On the other side of the road a dog on a long lead was going for a walk. The dog excited to walk was pulling on the lead. The woman got a fright and fell backwards. The dog remained on lead on the other side of the road and continued to walk pass woman. Neither parties physically interacted. Woman rang council and reported the dog as being a dog that causes "fear". Dog was contained by the above mentioned restrictions. Jumped the fence during a thunderstorm and was very sadly put down due to being picked up by council and breaking the previously mentioned conditions! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad at wits end at wits end Surprised

Thoughts??????
HoneyBear
HoneyBear
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Honey
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Dangerous Dogs  Empty Re: Dangerous Dogs

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 10:56

HoneyBear wrote:Woman rang council and reported the dog as being a dog that causes "fear".

Naturally, if someone is afraid of dogs then all dogs must be said to cause them fear? There is a girl that walks past me most days when I'm walking Logan and she literally closes her eyes as she walks past as she's that afraid, and he is just a big goof! Albeit, I can appreciate that some people are genuinely afraid of dogs.

It seems like a very extreme rule which can be enforced on a general opinion rather than proven facts. Unfortunately, I feel that the councils etc that make these laws make them to simply protect themselves. As if they are not seen to be putting strict measures in to stop potential trouble makers they are maybe then liable for any issue that could arise. People who are afraid of dogs, or afraid of the possibility of running into the minority that cause trouble feel safe with these laws. It is horrible that caring dog lovers (like yourself) have to be subject to the same rules. But I feel that the main cause of all of this unnecessary drama is the fact that some people are very irresponsible.

This is just my opinion though.

Last edited by MatLogan on Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:15; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:30

I agree with you Mat! Sadly, we are in a time ,where people rightly or wrongly take one another to court and where the good owners in this case, are persecuted due to people being irresponsible! My intention was not to cause a debate just saddened me and thought it was interesting!

I believe dog owners should be responsible but the public also need to be resonable...
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:32

HoneyBear wrote:My intention was not to cause a debate just saddened me and thought it was interesting!

Same here. I'm not one for debating to be honest lol! It is def a very interesting read.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:34

I have heard of someone who's dog got reported as they were 'scared for the childs life' that it lived with (although from what i heard this was done out off anger and the dog was sound as a pound) any way, this dog ended up having same sort of restrictions, had to be muzzled, is on the dangerous dogs list, chipped tatooed etc etc etc. this is over in the UK

I think aslong as you train her etc etc that you should be fine, the more you worry the more this will become a problem for you as you will be looking over your back every two mins which you don't want as you want to be enjoying your little girly Smile

I agree tho with matt above,sometimes it may be down to a irresponsible owner that causes these things to happen with the dog.........
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue Jan 29 2013, 12:12

That is silly thought it was bad here Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 17:25

Stupid law. Anyone can be scared of a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Tue Jan 29 2013, 20:17

I think as long as you train her etc etc that you should be fine, the more you worry the more this will become a problem for you as you will be looking over your back every two mins which you don't want as you want to be enjoying your little girly Smile

Thanks for your response.. I am not worried that this may happen to her as I strongly believe (like you do) that training is essential and my behaviour as a dog owner is critical, in how I train her but also how I behave when out and about.

I just found that this law was strange- Any person may be fearful and a simple decision to call the council could have such ramifications that are on going but also could be unjust.
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29 2013, 20:21

That's just absolutely ridiculous , whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Tue Jan 29 2013, 20:40

I agree Dave sadly though it is true and makes me furious, annoyed and saddened that my country allows laws like this. Hope its different in the UK???
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 01:11

It really isn't that easy for someone to have your dog declared.. The law when written in '88' was an outrage and it was that easy, in QLD and VIC hundreds of pets were taken from families and pts just for looking like a pit bull angry Rangers were given a 3hr course on determining breeds and dangerous body language and sent out to confiscate all dogs they deemed dangerous angry It was ludicrous but that was a government that met the public outcry to kill all the "devil dogs" after a spate of attacks.. They acted without knowledge and it was a kneejerk reaction, but things are improving somewhat.. Now if someone is concerned over the behaviour of your dog they put in a complaint with the Local Council, then council will contact you and (if your dog hasn't mauled anyone) you get 3 weeks to get a certified canine behaviorist to spend time with the dog and determine if in fact it is a danger.. Then you get a court date.. If your dog is deemed to be dangerous and you still disagree you can do "A Breed Assessment" where you take to dog to speciality classes with expert trainers etc and if your dog passes the class they get certified and taken off the register at the council.. [i]

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Thu Jan 31 2013, 06:33

Interesting? I am not wanting to cause an argument nor debate. I am going off information given to me by my trainer and the Brisbane city council website. I think you are talking about "dangerous dogs and breeds??? I am speaking about a stupid law that states if your dog is seen to cause "fear" or be a "menace" the above restrictions will apply. Thanks for your reply though.

I have attached a link to the website. Smile

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws-permits/laws-and-permits-for-residents/animals-and-pets/cats-dogs/dangerous-menacing-restricted-dogs/index.htm
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Thu Jan 31 2013, 06:43

Oooh I don't think NSW has american pit bull type listed does it Kylie just american pit bull as a breed?
Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dangerous Dogs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 10:02

HoneyBear wrote:Interesting? I am not wanting to cause an argument nor debate. I am going off information given to me by my trainer and the Brisbane city council website. I think you are talking about "dangerous dogs and breeds??? I am speaking about a stupid law that states if your dog is seen to cause "fear" or be a "menace" the above restrictions will apply. Thanks for your reply though.

I have attached a link to the website. Smile

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws-permits/laws-and-permits-for-residents/animals-and-pets/cats-dogs/dangerous-menacing-restricted-dogs/index.htm

I'll have a look Big Grin And if you have info it is not going to cause a debate, as I have said before when BSL came to Oz in the 80's the legislation was national, but govern by federal government.. Which means all our states have different laws confused which makes it very confusing.. I will read your link and I'm sorry if I gave you wrong information Blushing

Oswald I will check, I know a pit bull type that was regulated under the law, she had to have her dog in a fully enclosed run at all times at home unless she was within 10mtres of him at all times, he had to be muzzled in public, 6ft minimum fences around her home etc.. She only a few weeks ago received a clearance due to passing a "Breed Assessment" he is now even allowed in the offleash park. They gave her a card to carry that states he is not dangerous and has been cleared..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 10:40

The site is not very informative but it seems similar to NSW law.. Even if your dog is complained about you should be able to dispute it and prove your dog is not a menace.. This site is a little more informatative

http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/resources/laws/cats-dogs/consultation/dangerous-dogs-discussion-paper.pdf

Section 1.7 & 1.8 is relevant.. It's a lot more reading but way more informative.. There is an appeal process.. So if declared and you think your dog is not menacing you can appeal the decision.. Big Grin Your state dosent stand by the reprieval process though so if declared your dog is declared it will stay that way Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 10:53

And to answer you Mel no NSW does not have "types" on the banned list but ny dog even a small breed can be declared dangerous or a menace

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Thu Jan 31 2013, 11:17

Thanks Kylie x
Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dangerous Dogs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBear Fri Feb 01 2013, 23:07

Thank you Kylie- you know your stuff and it is always a pleasure learning more!!! Your website is much better regarding information than what I could find. Cheers
HoneyBear
HoneyBear

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down