My puppy has a sore leg :(

2 posters

Go down

My puppy has a sore leg :( Empty My puppy has a sore leg :(

Post by 7643919 Sun Dec 19 2010, 02:36

Hey my puppy Bella was fine yesterday but today i woke up and she had a pretty bad limp on her back, right leg. Im not sure what it might be because i lightly pressed around her back and leg to see if she had a reaction... However it could be that she has like a small blister like thing between the toes of that leg. Its a bit strange because she could be limping 1 minute and the next she is walking on it.

Could someone tell me what it could be?
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

My puppy has a sore leg :( Empty Re: My puppy has a sore leg :(

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 07:29

A picture would be better, but it might be a few days ago she got a little splinter and now it is infected and swollen. it could be a blister but unless she is the type of dog you race so she is constately scrapping/running on her feet i doubt it. If it is an infection i would suggest the vets or she could lose her nail or toe if it gets too bad the lump higher up could be her muscles reacting to an infection that is spreading from the toes..

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Dec 19 2010, 09:12

Mmm not sure. Mine does it sometimes. At first I was really worried, I'm not able to carry her and once we where in the middle of the wood! I checked her paw over and there was nothing and checked her leg over and again nothing and no reaction. Within about 5 mins she just started walking normally again, very odd. Then the other morning she did it, I put it down to the ice, she was hopping along on 3 legs, I looked at her and just said come on walk normally! and she did! So if anyone can shed light I'd be interested too, I think Moo just plays on it to get a reaction from me!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 10:27

Ummmm Yes Janey, i would agree there.

I would have it checked if there is a blister there...
But I can vouch for the fact that my sisters Rotti can FAKE it big time.. she has taken him to the vets many times only for him to prance around like nothign happened..

Check pups nails.... titan has a hollow nail and at times it is longer than the others and it puts pressure on the bed.. it can cause him to limp a little..
i think he likes the attention so he does it even when it isnt sore lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 10:37

Does the blister look sore? Is it just a clear blister or does it have any colour?

For the time being I'd bathe it with a little cooled boiled water with some salt added, then dry it thoroughly - don't let her lick it as she'll start to make the whole paw sore! If it's really iriitating her or if it starts to look infected (red, or red ring around it, weeping etc) then get it checked by the vet.

A lot of pups get the odd little limp, it's mainly from over exuberance & will clear in a day or two of light exercise. Don't forget that staffords have a high pain threshold, so just because she doesn't react to you touching it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt! However, as I said, youngsters often get limps & they will normally clear up on their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by 7643919 Mon Dec 20 2010, 03:13

thanks for the answers Smile ... And yeah its really weird i think she might do it for the attention sometimes because when im around her or let her inside she will start limping, but then i will let her out and she will run around like crazy with the other dogs and she will be fine. Its really weird lol

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 05:56

7643919 wrote:thanks for the answers Smile ... And yeah its really weird i think she might do it for the attention sometimes because when im around her or let her inside she will start limping, but then i will let her out and she will run around like crazy with the other dogs and she will be fine. Its really weird lol

It could be attention or it could adrenaline. adrenaline pumped around the body when she is excited and playing, numb pain which is one of the reason the bullies have been used for fighting because they get so much adrenaline pumping around their body they don't feel bites off the other dog, but once inside she calms down and the adrenaline subside and she feels the pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down