Should I be worried....

+3
micheled
janey
Fieldy1990
7 posters

Go down

Should I be worried.... Empty Should I be worried....

Post by Fieldy1990 Sun Apr 22 2012, 16:11

Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice really..... Brian is a 6 month old Staffie. He's a brilliant little boy with so much character but theres a few things I really worry about! I am used to staffies and all the press but my fiance was bought up with a border collie and isnt so used to staffies.

1) Brian loves fuss but he's very rampant at times, thats the only way I can describe it, he will hump our leg and we tell him no but he carries on doing this. How can we stop this?

2) He's learnt his commands and training very fast but if he gets on the sofa he wont come off it our just chill out he is hyper every minute that we are up, is this normal?

3) He can get quite snappy, but I really dont think nastily, just playing but my fiance isnt so sure. He has never bitten us and he's a very good dog but I do worry.

Thank you so much to anyone who replies and if anyone lives in Birmingham with a staffie and would like to meet up and take them for a walk i'd be really grateful there arent too many dogs where we live.

Thanks again,

Lucy
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Brian
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried.... Empty Re: Should I be worried....

Post by janey Sun Apr 22 2012, 17:39

Sounds like you have a typical Staff to me!!

The humping thing needs to be corrected when he does it, I haven't a boy but from here I have learnt it could be a dominance thing so by ignoring and stopping the behaviour he should learn not to do it.

All staffs have a lot of energy, is he getting walked twice a day? This should tire them out, maybe take a ball or frisbee with you so he gets more exersize, also simple mind ganes can help tire them out, like searching out a favourite toy, again though normal staffy hyperness!!

Again when he starts to mouth correct the behaviour, also make sure he has lots of chew toys to occupy him, by ignoring the behaviour and removing him from the situation to give him some time out will help. I wouldn't be concerned just keep on top of there training as they will try to push boundries Smile

Hope this helps a little and at least to put yours and OH minds at rest that you have a normal young puppy Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Sun Apr 22 2012, 17:45

Thank you so much! What are the best toys for them? We keep having alot of different advice!!

I think this next week he's going to start to lose his teeth so ive frozen potatoes and carotts for him.

x
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sun Apr 22 2012, 18:01

no advice, we've only had ours for a week so no help to you.

I just wanted to say he's a lovely color. I've never seen that reverse brindle before. So pretty.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 22 2012, 18:02

Been a long time since I had a pup, so don't take what I said as gospel, just my experiences.

I really rate pet stages for chew toys

http://www.petstages.com/dogs-orka-menu.php

Long lasting, but anything frozen will help with the teething, also people swear by 'kongs' as you can fill them with things and pop them in the freezer so thatsdefo maybe a thought.

Its just a stage, he'll get through it and start on the next one lol Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Fieldy1990 Sun Apr 22 2012, 18:11

Thank you he's a tiger brindle. Love my little Brian so much he's fantastic.

Ahhhhh brilliant thank you so much for your help. He'll wonder what he's done to get lots of new toys and chews :-) xx
Fieldy1990
Fieldy1990

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Sun Apr 22 2012, 19:26

Lets see if I can offer any helpful advice.

For the humping, you need to stop him pronto. If he does not respond to a firm 'No' then consider either a water pistal or a can filled with coins/nails - aka a 'noise can' that you can shake whenever he does it. It should startle him and break him out of it. I do not personally believe that physical punishment should be used as it is a natural behaviour, but I do believe that they need to learn that it is not appropriate for interactions with people. My 5month old boy has just started to realise that he is infact a boy, so we're dealing with the same problem. Also, if he is not already and you do not intend to breed with him, neutering can help.

If he is getting on the sofa and not obeying your commands to get off, then I would stop either 1) stop letting him get on the sofa full stop or 2) make him sit, offer some trick and then only allow him on the sofa and when you ask him, he needs to get off or I would, in one sweeping gesture if possible, shove him off (not roughly off course). He needs to learn that he is only allowed on the sofa when you say so and that if you say off, it means off.

Also, his own place in the living room can help. As for the hyperness, plenty of walks and mental stimulation can help a vast deal. Get him interactive toys such as Kongs, Buster cube, things that you can hide dog pellets/treats in that he has to work out to get out. Also, rotating toys can help as it stops him getting bored of all his toys.

As for the mouthiness, normally it is advised that the moment he starts to become mouthy, make a loud 'ouch' sound and end play, ignoring him for a while, even getting up and leaving the room if neccessary. I love playing rough with my Staffy so I've rather tought him a command to mean 'lets play' and a command to say that rough play is over now. Its helped him learnt to calm down very quickly and it works for us. But I know a lot of people recommend no mouthiness at all.
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Apr 22 2012, 19:45

I have a Collie and a 5 and a half month staff, So different but the same too... very stubborn, quick to learn, full of life, maybe a little more "bull in a china shop"?? lol.. . Brian sounds just like my Rolo, he's pushing boundaries a bit and teething!! I stick to all the advice given above, but you have to be consistent. Rolo has to work on his walk.. practice heelwork, stays, recalls etc that helps work his brain... as well as good old play about, His dinner biscuit is in a activity ball so he has to wander round with it to get his lunch. We found Nylabones have been great for Rolo's teething along with the kongs with the groves in. Good luck Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Should I be worried.... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22 2012, 21:21

Fieldy1990 wrote:I think this next week he's going to start to lose his teeth so ive frozen potatoes and carotts for him.
x

If he's 6 months old, then he'll already have his second teeth! They normally start teething around 4 months & most of the new teeth will be in place by about five & a half months.

Can I ask what you feed him & when?

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Sun Apr 22 2012, 22:11

Buster is almost 7 months. I got him about 5 weeks ago and he had almost no training when he came here, actually, I would say none. He didnt even seem to know his name! He was very mouthy when we got him, he stopped mouthing me after about 2 days. Every time he did it I told him "no" and if he did it again I stopped fussing or playing with him, he soon realised I didnt like it. My boyfriend said after a couple of weeks that he was still really mouthy with him. He hadnt been doing the same as me (I swear men are harder to train! Wink ) after a few days of him doing the same Buster stopped mouthing him too. He still gets a bit overexcited and can start doing it to people, but he is getting better and a stern "no" from me or the person normally gets him to stop.

He was also used to going on the furniture. We didn't want him on the sofas at all. After a few days he learnt he wasnt allowed on them at all (it is funny now as he will try to put his head on as far as possible without putting his feet on the sofa to get fuss) He is allowed on the bed for fuss but only if he is called up. If he jumps up he is told down, if he doesnt listen then he is pushed off (but gently) although he does listen most of the time. He sleeps on the floor and doesnt try to sneak up in the night or anything - which I thought he might

The humpimg Ive never had to deal with, but the no then ignoring I think will work well.

Oh, and something my dog trainer said in a lesson once to a lady that was telling her dog to go on its bed in a soft and gentle voice - you are not asking your dog if it wants to go on its bed, you are TELLING it to go on its bed - make sure your no is stern!
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Should I be worried.... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon Apr 23 2012, 10:30

A part from the humping, my brother Labrador puppy is exactly the same. Jumps on the furniture and doesn't listen when you tell him down. He even jumps up and take your food!

He tries to bite / nip you a lot as well for nothing. He is a right little * lol. Thats how dogs play, with their mouths but it is obviously something that is not to be encouraged.

So to reassure your other half, it's not because it is a Staff.

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 12:32

Really sounds like normal puppy behaviour. For the biting turn around and ignore him. He is seeking attention and if you do the opposite he will learn that it is not the proper way to get attention.

He should be given a five minute walk for each month of age twice daily. Training exercises and other mental stimulation such as searching for treats will also help with the energy levels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 23 2012, 22:30

when kenny is hyper, i stuff his kong toy, it works, he sit nicly trying to remove its contents

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down