Worms again

4 posters

Go down

Worms again Empty Worms again

Post by dansoap Wed Apr 11 2012, 13:35

Since we had our staffy from about 12 weeks she has been on stronghold worming and flea treatment. About 3 months ago she had ring worm that were found along with some dioreah. The next month she had the same more ring worm. Surely would the not of all come out in one go or does it take few months to flush them out. She has been ok this month apart from 2 days ago I noticed a small worm like thing in her poo on 2 different occasions over last couple of days but nothing like the ringworm. Since she has grown we upped the dosage from the vet as she is over 10kg. Just wandering if anyone else has experienced worms like this on there dog.. I know the worming must be working as there is evidence of that but how can you know if your dog is completely free of them? She has got one more dosel left that will be her 6 months done then its done every 6 months I believe but not good to have that much of a break between worming surely.

Could it be that she is free of them and then when on walks she could be picking them back up from eating things like grass or stuff like that.
dansoap
dansoap
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : cola
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Worms again Empty Re: Worms again

Post by Kathy Wed Apr 11 2012, 13:52

I have copied a couple of links below which explain about worms in dogs and what to look for. Are you sure she has ringworm?

If you are unsure about anything please consult your vet. I would have thought at her age she would have a worming treatment more often than every 6 months. Rocky is 2 years old and has his worming treatment every 12 weeks.

http://www.fetchdog.com/learn-connect/dog-resource-library/health/symptoms/Worms-in-Dogs-Stool/D/300600/P/1:5:55:601:6105/I/AR000010255

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-ringworms
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by dansoap Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:02

sorry meant round worms not ring worm
dansoap
dansoap

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:03

maybe the stronghold isnt doing the job you may be better trying drontal or another brand as the treatment should really be giving you better cover defiantly not getting them monthly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sully Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:15

vets reccomend worming every 3 to 4 months

Sully
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo & Tye
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dansoap Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:20

just been on the drontal website think ill change over to the drontal plus tablets seem to get some really good results at a fraction of the price of stronghold paid over £60 quid for 6 moths worth and she still getting worms not right is it.
dansoap
dansoap

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:24

We use Drontal on Rocky which we do buy from our vet. You could try looking at the link below £1.73 per tablet with free delivery.

http://www.medicanimal.com/setSessionLocale/keywordsearch?SEARCH_CATEGORY_ID=&SEARCH_OPERATOR=AND&SEARCH_STRING=Drontal&VIEW_SIZE=10&y=0&x=0&newLocale=en_GB&gclid=COXe_pzyrK8CFYEKfAod7EFfpw
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:29

I use Milbemax from my vets every 3 months & Dempsey never has any worm problems - it also covers lungworm. I won't use the all-in-one worm/flea treatment because I don't see the point of using a flea treatment when my dog doesn't have fleas!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 15:28

i must admit i only worm and flea when needed. Neither of mine have ever had worms but have fleaed using advocate twice last year not so far this year......so they were wormed twice last year....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 21:28

blaze wrote:i must admit i only worm and flea when needed. Neither of mine have ever had worms but have fleaed using advocate twice last year not so far this year......so they were wormed twice last year....

I don't think Dempsey has had worms other than the first puppy round worms (yuk!), but he does love to pick up snails & slugs so I like to protect against lungworm. Also, I'm very aware of the fact that a dog can pass roundworm eggs before you know they have worms & those eggs can cause blindness in children. I don't like to take a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Wed Apr 11 2012, 21:39

we regularly treat marley as a precaution, as my 8 year old daughter comes to stay and we now live in the country side, we feel it better to keep on top of it rather than deal with any future problem in the house or himself
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 22:07

Caryll wrote:
blaze wrote:i must admit i only worm and flea when needed. Neither of mine have ever had worms but have fleaed using advocate twice last year not so far this year......so they were wormed twice last year....

I don't think Dempsey has had worms other than the first puppy round worms (yuk!), but he does love to pick up snails & slugs so I like to protect against lungworm. Also, I'm very aware of the fact that a dog can pass roundworm eggs before you know they have worms & those eggs can cause blindness in children. I don't like to take a chance.

really...i never new that....god i feel bad now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 22:17

It's only if a child puts their hand in infected dog poo & then rubs their eyes. It's quite a rare thing, I just don't like to think of the slim possibility.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxocariasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Wed Apr 11 2012, 22:24

it doesn't even need to direct contact, any area that has come in to contact with infected poo could have the eggs, soil grass etc. it only takes a minute amount
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down