Your worst mistake with a new puppy?

3 posters

Go down

Your worst mistake with a new puppy? Empty Your worst mistake with a new puppy?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 00:08

Hi all,
Your prob sick of seeing my name by now.

But
what is the worst mistake looking back on when you got your puppy?
Anything that might help me in making my puppy safe, secure etc.
Also any rules i should be strict with the 3 kids .. dont drop puppy etc.... I am typing out "santas rules" today to put in the puppy goodies box under the tree!

thanks for your time by the way it means alot
x

Back to top Go down

Your worst mistake with a new puppy? Empty Re: Your worst mistake with a new puppy?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 00:23

first thing is don't let them sleep in the bed with you Laughing and the second you have to show them your the boss. and im sure some one else on here will fill you in on 2, 3, 4. and 5 and 6 Laughing and sooooooo on and on Laughing

Back to top Go down

Your worst mistake with a new puppy? Empty Re: Your worst mistake with a new puppy?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 00:31

ok thanks Shane. no bed sleeping lol..

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 00:39

Mine sleeps in bed sorry!!!! Shes taken up the whole lot whilst I type, but hay, I live on my own lol!!!! I learnt on the job really, there's plenty I would have changed but thats after I'd learnt the hard way! I think with my second it was feeding times, always b4 the 2 walks she got. I had massive diarea probs with Moo in the house and after I put her on a good quality food and changed times etc it sorted its self out.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 01:02

When your kids wants to hold the pup have them be sat on the settee or sat down so if they do drop her or she struggle the fall wont be so big. Gardens and secure fencing leave your pup inside the garden go outside of the garden and call him/her get them really excited so they will try to fnd a way out to get to you and if they do you know where to fill in the gaps etc. Your childrens toys may be small enough to choke on. I notice with Taz and most dogs when given tennis balls they strip them of the fluff and they can choke or swallow leading to problems so i would suggest bald balls and toys. If the pup is excited and fast some are some aren't try setting bounders when it comes to door ways so if you open the front door they don't dart out to greet the person. the sooner you get him to come to his name the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 03:37

Miss Rogue
Thanks for those tips. Our whole house is surrounded by 6 foot soild steel fences and also those fences have a wooden pine board under them .. lucky we did that... My hubby didnt want anything digging under from the outside! hopefully nothing will dig from inside! lol
I will be sure to make the kids sit down before holding her.. also I will make it a strict rule that no one carries her around.. just incase.

Janey, Do you mean to give her dinner, then go for a walk? or the other way around?... I will be feeding her the complete puppy dry food.. maybe the odd raw chicken necks and rib bones..to start with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 05:30

Mel Skora wrote:Miss Rogue
Thanks for those tips. Our whole house is surrounded by 6 foot soild steel fences and also those fences have a wooden pine board under them .. lucky we did that... My hubby didnt want anything digging under from the outside! hopefully nothing will dig from inside! lol
I will be sure to make the kids sit down before holding her.. also I will make it a strict rule that no one carries her around.. just incase.

Janey, Do you mean to give her dinner, then go for a walk? or the other way around?... I will be feeding her the complete puppy dry food.. maybe the odd raw chicken necks and rib bones..to start with.

Not a problem I don't know what Janey was going to say but i would walk the pup or a good exercise game out back, dogs love to earn things. exercise discipline and affection, a good walk/ a simple sit before you put her food down but if you haven't tought her sit yet just making sure she is nice and calm before putting her food down not bouncing around hitting walls, whinning, barking etc a good snap of the fingers to get her attention ro what ever you feel comfortable doing. then a good no should do the trick.
Also I dont know if you have any local fox's but they have been known to burrow a good foot under fencing and climb over higher fencing. if you have grass a quick sweep to make sure there's no mess from other animals, if you have concrete theres an animal friendly antibacterial called Trigene (non diluted 2 litre should last you a good year once you'v diluted it maybe even more) it wont hurt any animal but it kills germs they leave behind inside or outside your house etc just until her immune system is more able to handle it and she is vaccinated. It depend how conciouse you are really. some may argue and say expose them to simple illnesses so they learn to fight it off so don't go over board with the spray but when it come to the major stuff like parvo and mange which can be caught off fox's trigene will kill those kinda things.
I had a large litter tray by my front door put a matt inside and soaked it with trigene so people and the dogs walked through it, so it'll kill anything they picked up. I only done that when cassie had her pups, i didn't want to take any chances but thats just me being paranoid so yeah its upto you really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 06:31

We dont have any foxes of any type here... well not where we are maybe closer to the bush.
I live between the lake and the ocean.
so there is no much room for foxes. My sister did tell me about the wash that you can clean your house in etc,
I have Grass backyard and the only concrete that I have is in the pool area.
I might google this wash and see when is the best time to do it.
I am lucky that she will have had her second lot of needles before i pick her up.

Back to top Go down

Post by micky Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:41

Don't let a pup do anything you don't want a 40 pound head bin doing! Lol

micky
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:44

LOL @ Micky... yeah i guess they grow fast dont they

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:04

Just a little word of warning.........NEVER exercise your dog directly before or especially after a meal. The best way is to exercise, then let the dog settle for at least half an hour before feeding. If you feed your dog & then want to take it out, make sure the meal was at least 2 hours before the walk.

If you feed too close to a walk you run the risk of bloat - a very painful & potentially fatal condition for a dog, needing emergency vet attention & usually surgery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:07

Oh thanks Caryll.. I didnt know that.
Great thanks for the tip.
I would prob be walking her at 5.30am... so i would take her out on her walk 5.30-6.30.. home... them feed her ( and the ferals) about 7.15 am lol
then we would take her out to the park or in the back reserve when the kids got home from school and then feed her after we eat our dinner at night?...
does that sound ok ... ( not as a puppy of course she would need more than 2 meals wouldnt she?0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:11

Yes, she'll need at least 4 meals a day for a while.

She won't need a lot of exercise for some time yet. She'll get most of what she needs just by playing. If you over exercise too early you can damage growth plates & tendons which could lead to problems in later life.

Once she's able to go out, just take her for 10 - 15 minute walks 2 or 3 times a day. Once she's about 5 or 6 months you can start to increase it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:14

Thanks Caryll.
So i will be able to let the kids walk her around our block (about 300m) and that will do her a couple of times a day once she has her jab at 12 weeks.
That means by the time she can have a romp on the beach it will be winter
Sad....

Back to top Go down

Post by micky Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:17

As Caryll has said running in the garden is all the exercise she'll need untill 4 or 5 months old, lead training is all the walking she'll need.

micky

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:19

So you telling me I will be one of these "mummy" that carries the dog the rest of the way home LOL....
But it is good to get her used to lead walking early even if it is just around our yard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:19

Mel Skora wrote:That means by the time she can have a romp on the beach it will be winter
Sad....

Maybe, but surely your winters aren't all that bad?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:26

No they arent really.. but I guess it is what you are used to.. we are all cold blooded over here lol.. we need the sun to warm our bodies lol

I am a shaking mess if it drops below 14'... I guess it would be the same if you guys came here on a 38" summer day.. we would be going about our things in the normal way and you guys would be dying on the lounge, close to vomiting from the heat, I dont have alot of meat on my bones either so i feel the cold easy

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:56

Oi, I love the heat! Try -3 thats what we have at the mo and its bleeding freezing literally lol x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:09

Just went in the car to get a quotes pad and it says -7. But that was inside the car which is normally worse. Had to open the drivers door to let the heat in Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:10

rolling on the floor it's so harsh!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:20

OMG people... you all need to move over here.... that is shocking..
I dont think i would get out of bed if it was - anything lol
how on earth does your body function?..do you loose weight in winter over there? trying to keep warm?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:23

we got a good excersise its called shivering lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:30

Laughing
Saves on brushing your teeth too. Your teeth clatter together that much the plaque falls off Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:37

I eat more to stay warm! And dont invite us we'll be there like a shot, as long as someone can look after the dogs! Any takers?!?!? And we do want them back!! All round to Mel Skoras!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:46

I think it shouldn't be me as im packed and ready to go. Im at Manchester Airport awaiting the signal to board the plane.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:50

I'm at Gatwick so counts me out too!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 00:53

Mel do you think you can come here and look after our dogs so we can go and live in your house? Cos it's cold and im a top guy you can have my jumper to keep you warm thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:04

What a great idea! You can have my place and we'll have yours?? How about it?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:09

Just out of interest do you have air conditioning in your house and if so is it made in the UK. I only ask cos when I stayed with my bro in the states for a bit his and all his mates appartments had air conditioning and all of them said made in uk on them. Made me chuckle cos i thought WTF do we know about air conditioning Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:11

mel if you go for it just think when you get home holly will be fully trained in all aspects so really were doin you a favour lol
by the way am at newcastle airport just waiting for the word

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:13

Plenty,walk outside and its air conditioned lol

Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:15

ohhhhhhhhhhh an by the way with the houses being primerrily out of wood in oz blue staff is a joiner so he will do all repairs for a very cheap rate
and any welding needed anywere im your man lol
janey can pour the beers
caryll can do the barbie(more snaggs for us as she veggie)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:16

See Mel she has air conditioning that works 365 days a year every year with no maintanence costs...........How good are we to Mel?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 07 2010, 01:24

Its a plan, see u all in soon, you cant deny us such a well thought out swap!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 03:38

Well what are you waiting for??????? Board those planes and I will see you soon.. I even have a caravan ( RV) that you can take turns in driving up and down our cost line... it is very prety Smile
I like the idea of Holly being fully trained when i get home...
I have a barbie that you can throw some snags on.. dont forget to wear your thongs!!!
Beach is just a 5min walk over the sand dunes.. careful cause it gets bloody hot of your feet.. that is why we wear thongs pmsl.
I wish I hadnt dont the ironing now.. this thread was to funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 09:51

To be honest the main thing is consistancy! There are no rules of how u have to bring your pup up. You can mold your pup to be however you want her to be, or to to whatever you want as long as your happy with your rules and she knows what she should or shouldnt be doing then thats fine. If u dont want her on the furniture/bed /upstairs its not cruel its fine but just never allow it. It would be cruel if u allowed it sometimes as dogs dont understand sometimes. Good luck Big Grin x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 10:22

bigwazza wrote:ohhhhhhhhhhh an by the way with the houses being primerrily out of wood in oz blue staff is a joiner so he will do all repairs for a very cheap rate
and any welding needed anywere im your man lol
janey can pour the beers
caryll can do the barbie(more snaggs for us as she veggie)

I'm in!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 10:41

LOL.. I am at sydney air port.. where is everyone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:49

Im in an office looking at some guy with a rubber glove in Sydney Airport.
He must have that problem where they hate getting their hands dirty.
I shouldn't be too long, everyone seems so nice here Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 13:20

Hey, Blue, is that an Aussie thing? Cause right now I'm there, looking at some girl with a rubber glove................and she don't look friendly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:16

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 19:11

Mel Skora wrote:Thanks Caryll.
So i will be able to let the kids walk her around our block (about 300m) and that will do her a couple of times a day once she has her jab at 12 weeks.
Sad....

12 weeks of age before she is able to get vaccinated wow over here its 7 weeks. I know in some countries they can not get registered until 12 weeks but i didn't think it would be 12 weeks before vaccination. that takes the biscuits.

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Tue Dec 07 2010, 19:17

well me thinking i know it all bought shady boy , he was 7 months old not exactly a new puppy but , never thought about crate training him , and i was living in a private let , to cut a long story short he ate a kitchen lol
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 20:05

MissRogue wrote:
Mel Skora wrote:Thanks Caryll.
Sad....

12 weeks of age before she is able to get vaccinated wow over here its 7 weeks. I know in some countries they can not get registered until 12 weeks but i didn't think it would be 12 weeks before vaccination. that takes the biscuits.

holly had her first jab before she gettin picked up its her second she gettin at 12 weeks missrogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 20:39

My vet vaccinates at 8 weeks & 10 weeks, and then it's a week before you can take them outside. I think it depends on the type of vaccine they use.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 21:40

Hi there,
we have ours at 6 weeks, 8 weeks and then last one at 12 weeks.
and if you are boarding them in a kennel for holidays etc.. then they need a booster as well once a year.
our jabs are $80 aud each... what about yours?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 21:56

£28 for two injects 7-10 weeks but iv payed £99 so now i get the first two and all booster jab yearly for life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 22:17

i get all my injections 7 in 1, ect and then the boosters every year for €15, i inject the dogs myself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 23:55

***** SHUDDERS****... your talkign to a needle phobic here.. I would pay $200 not to have to do it myself Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down