I've made a mistake :(

4 posters

Go down

I've made a mistake :( Empty I've made a mistake :(

Post by Kristen37 Thu Feb 06 2014, 05:33

I've made a mistake and am not sure how to fix it. About 2 months ago I looked outside and saw my neighbours (who I know quite well) 3 dogs roaming the streets, running in front of cars etc. They are all big dogs with no collars or anything so were nearly impossible to get hold of alone. I panicked and quickly put Lacey out and let the 3 dogs inside my house before they got into more trouble. That part was all well and good until the dogs went home and I let Lacey back inside. (She was roughly 9 months at the time). Her back went straight up and she freaked out. She barked and stressed out for about half an hour. I wasn't surprised about this seeing as it is her house but I had never seen her like that. Ever since that day she has barked at every single dog she sees. Her back goes up and she gets quite aggressive and dominant and she won't have a bar of any of them. This includes to our 9 year old Tyson who we basically always have her separate from now seeing as their last few fights have been shocking. Is there any way I can start to calm her down? I thought she would settle back to her old self but it hasn't happened at all. I shouldn't have let the dogs inside but I couldn't see any other option at the time. I feel like I've broken her trust and just hope there's a way to get her back to her old self.
Kristen37
Kristen37
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson and Lacey
Dog(s) Ages : Tyson (7 yrs), Lacey (9 weeks)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

I've made a mistake :( Empty Re: I've made a mistake :(

Post by VikkiGT4 Thu Feb 06 2014, 08:47

Don't beat yourself up on this. You did what you thought was right at the time and in all honesty I would have probably done the same thing.

I don't believe all is lost with Lacey but it will take slow and steady work to reintroduce her to other dogs.

Perhaps speaking to a dog behaviourist would help? x
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:04

I suspect a bit of fear aggression and probably understandable to be confronted with 3 big dogs on her territory.
As said you did what you thought was right at the time, just have some patience and consistency and you will slowly gain her trust again in time good luck xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06 2014, 09:52

I agree with inez it sounds like fear aggression lots of patience and praise for good behaviour, with help build her trust and perhaps a behaviourist can help I've made a mistake :( 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Feb 06 2014, 10:04

I agree with the others, it sounds like fear. Try to slowly reintroduce her to dogs but don't push her. Maybe take your other dog out on a walk with her both on the lead and see how that goes, you might find eventually she will see that Tyson is no threat to her. Just introduce her gently and slowly, with lots of patience and persistence it should be okay Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Feb 06 2014, 10:57

I'm sure you will be able to build up her trust in you again. Have some simple little training session, of about 5 minutes a few times each day just doing the basics, like sit, stay etc and give her loads of fuss and a small treat each time.

Go back to basics when feeding her, put the bowl or whatever down get her to sit and leave it until you say it's OK for her to eat. All these little things together will build up her trust and confidence in you once more.

Most of all try to keep calm and be very patient with her, talking very steadily and quietly.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristen37 Sat Feb 08 2014, 03:16

Thank you everyone for your replies. We have been walking her with Tyson again which they both seem to really enjoy, but she's still not feeling great about him at home. I understand that it would be frightening for her to even have Tyson in her territory after what happened. We have started with her basic training that she was put through as a pup and it already seems to be making an improvement on her. I will see how we go with this patiently and slowly, otherwise we may call on a behaviourist for some help if things don't seem to keep improving. Thank you for all the help and advice everyone, it's much let appreciated x
Kristen37
Kristen37

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson and Lacey
Dog(s) Ages : Tyson (7 yrs), Lacey (9 weeks)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down