Training

2 posters

Go down

Training Empty Training

Post by tracynolan Wed Mar 14 2012, 10:59

Hi all my baby isnt coming home untill the 23rd of march but i am trying to getting everything right.
A few questions for you
1-How do i teach sit down
2-How do you teach lay down
3-How do you teach stay
4-How do you teach leave
Thanks i know it is alot but any help would be great
THANKS
tracynolan
tracynolan
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Training Empty Re: Training

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14 2012, 11:18

You can place them in the position you want and ten reward with a treat. Repitition is key. Keep the training sesions short and always end on a high note. They are very food motivated

Back to top Go down

Post by andyhickman Wed Mar 14 2012, 11:22

look into clicker training too. being able to "mark" the exact moment they do what you want can be key.
andyhickman
andyhickman
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Toby
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14 2012, 11:26

tracynolan wrote:Hi all my baby isnt coming home untill the 23rd of march but i am trying to getting everything right.
A few questions for you
1-How do i teach sit down
2-How do you teach lay down
3-How do you teach stay
4-How do you teach leave
Thanks i know it is alot but any help would be great
THANKS

The easiest way to train a pup to do anything is with treats! So arm yourself with some tasty small treats to get started as soon as he comes home. I usually leave any formal training for the first day to let them settle in a bit, but obviously you'll want to stop him doing bad things straight away, so a few "No, leave" will be all you'll be saying (over & over again!) for the first day! Big Grin

1. Hold a treat right in front of your pup's nose with your right hand & as you say "sit" just lift the treat up a bit so his nose follows your hand & press down gently on his behind with your left hand. He shouls sit without a problem. Treat immediately he sits.
2. Pretty similar, really. Once your dog is in the sit, hold the treat down to the floor, say "down" and press his shoulders down gently. Hopefully he'll lay down & devour the treat!
3. The stay should be taught very early. When you put his food down, tell him to sit and then "stay". Put your hand against his chest & gently hold him still. After a few seconds give him a release word such as "ok" and let him go. Once you've done this a few times he should start to understand the stay & you can do similar things away from food. Just gently hold him in place to start with, and as he gets to understand what is wanted, you can let go & just tell him stay, with you standing just a pace away. Gradually increase the distance you can go, and if he moves just calmly take him back & put him in the sit again & do it again. If he continually moves then you've gone to fast & you may need to go back a stage.
4. Every time your pup touches something he shouldn't (which will probably be every 5 or 6 seconds!) gently turn his head away from it & say "No, leave". Say it calmly, but firmly & never take No for an answer!

Remember to train for short periods at first, about 5 minutes twice a day to start with (apart from the 'leave') and build up the time & frequency as he gets older to about 10 minutes two or three times a day. Always finish on a happy note with something you know he can do well, and never get impatient or angry. Your dog will only do what he understands is wanted from him, so if he doesn't do something it'll almost certainly be because he doesn't understand what you want or because he deosn't remember what you want. If this happens, go back to the start.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down