Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food.

4 posters

Go down

Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food. Empty Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food.

Post by Lizzie Sat Feb 11 2012, 22:47

I'm really worried about Harry, 3 days ago after his evening meal he came to sit with me on the sofa to watch TV but wasn't really relaxed. Over the next couple of hours he regurgitated his food about 4 times and from the amount it was obvious it was more than one meal. I fed him scrambled egg and white fish the next day and then put him back on his normal 2 meals of JWB kibble and put it down to 'one of those things'.

This evening he did the same thing again but immediately after eating. In every other way he is fine, he is going walking, playing, and going to the toilet as normal and wants to eat. Maybe he is slightly more quiet than usual, but not much. A couple of hours ago I gave him some scrambled egg and so far that has stayed in.

Its not vomit, its his days food coming back out looking exactly as it went in. Its obvious the food isn't reaching his stomach and this has got me so worrried. To make matter worse, I googled 'regurgitation in dogs' and after reading the results I am now in quite a state of worry

Have phoned the vets and spoke to a very nice nurse as the surgery is closed, and she advised putting him back on the chicken breasts, scrambled egg and white fish for a couple of days and then start mixing with a little kibble and increasing it each day and then see what happens. She said it could be an intolerance to the food even though he has had JWB always. Could be something he ate or could be something underlying.

I know I can take him straight to the vets hospital if he takes a turn for the worse, but I don't expect that to happen, and they are open tomorrow with several surgeries and I don't know whether to go along or wait and see.

Anyone experienced this please or can offer any words of reassurance. I know its only happened twice, but my mind is working overtime, thinking blockages, tumours and all the other horrible things. Why does it always happen at night and weekends?

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food. Empty Re: Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 01:31

I know my boy throws up if he has run around and had a big drink after eating, could that be the same as yours? otherwise I'm not sure sorry?

you're right about things happening at the wrong time though! its always Sunday for me!

don't panic though, just get him to the vet when they're open and they'll suss it out, he'll be ok!

Back to top Go down

Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food. Empty Re: Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food.

Post by Ben Sun Feb 12 2012, 01:33

My previous dog did this quite often. Could be so many things like intolerance of something he ate and it can also be that he is getting more excersise too close to meals when you are home more (assumption from night and weekend comment). Go to the bland food and his stomach will calm down. My guess is that it really isn't anything too serious, but he may be more grain intolerant than you originally thought. You also should be prepared that it will just seemingly randomly happen throughout his life. I seriously doubt he will get worse if he is acting completely normal. Just keep an eye on him and follow the nurses advice. He should be fine. Hang in there. It can be frightening.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 02:13

bbimson wrote:My previous dog did this quite often. Could be so many things like intolerance of something he ate and it can also be that he is getting more excersise too close to meals when you are home more (assumption from night and weekend comment). Go to the bland food and his stomach will calm down. My guess is that it really isn't anything too serious, but he may be more grain intolerant than you originally thought. You also should be prepared that it will just seemingly randomly happen throughout his life. I seriously doubt he will get worse if he is acting completely normal. Just keep an eye on him and follow the nurses advice. He should be fine. Hang in there. It can be frightening.

That's what I would think is happening. Most of the dogs I've had have done this from time to time, though, with no obvious cause. I've often wondered if they've overloaded themselves sometimes & so it comes straight back up.

If it's onlt very occasional, he's ok in himself, not losing weight, and generally eating/drinking ok I wouldn't be concerned. You could maybe split his meal into two, either half in the morning & half at night, or the evening meal could be given an hour or so after his exercise but again split into two, about an hour apart if that makes sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 12 2012, 13:57

Has Harry had a course of antibiotics recently?

The reason I ask is that Rocky was doing the same just before Christmas. He had been attacked by another dog had cuts on his head and was put on a course of antibiotics by his vet.

As soon as we realised what had happend, that the tablets were the cause, we gave him a couple of teaspoons of natural plain yogurt for a few days. This enabled his tummy bacteria to get back into balance. He has been fine since then.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Sun Feb 12 2012, 21:56

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:04; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Worried as Harry is regurgitating his food. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Mon Feb 13 2012, 11:18

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Harry was very mopey yesterday, didn't even want to play ball and he's ball crazy. But hes being cheeky this morning so I'm hoping he is feeling brighter.

I have kept him on the bland diet, though i feel awful not being able to give him any treats. Hand on heart I think I may have given him too many titbits as I tend to share with him whatever I'm eating as well as his own food.

He is belching quite a lot Blushing so I have given him half a rennie. He hasn't had any antibiotics lately but going to try the yoghurt, thanks for that tip. Someone also suggested giving him an actimel to drink!

Yes he does down his food very quickly so going to get him a dish that will slow this down.

I always ensure he isn't excercised within an hour either side of his meal, so don't think that can be the cause.

Will let you know what happens when I reintroduce his normal food. Meanwhile thanks again for your support.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down