playful Staffy pup

3 posters

Go down

playful Staffy pup Empty playful Staffy pup

Post by rhino Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:39

Hi,Im a new Staffy owner & love taking my Staffy Alfie out for long walks in the local park.The problem is Alfie is 7 months old & is good off the lead,he runs over to other dogs has a sniff & a play if the other dog wants to then goes on about his own business good as gold,but today in the packed park he ran over to a Akita pup had his little sniff around then the other dog started snapping & barking at Alfie all this & Alfie still didnt react to the other dog & the woman started screaming get your dog on a leash in the middle of the busy park with everybody watching.Its set me back abit & dont know if i want a dog now even tho im really attached him.The only problem i think Alfie did wrong was been a pain by running to the other dog & nothing else.Please give me some advice Sad

rhino
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : alfie
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

playful Staffy pup Empty Re: playful Staffy pup

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 15:48

alfie probably did nothing wrong. if you dog goes over to another and just stands and sniffs and lets the other dog sniff him then he is not doing anything wrong. if your dog goes down to the floor in front of the other dog he is not doing anything wrong just being submissive. if the other dog starts to carry on then its the other dog at fault not yours. we have all had it where we are shouted at or called in the park because of our dogs. if you had a yorkshire terrier or a poodle on the park the woman wouldnt have shouted like she did it was because you had a staff. dont let one stupid woman put you off. you have alovely sociable pup by the sound of it she was at fault not you just put him back on his lead and walk away from the other dog and the usless stupid woman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 17:31

Hi & welcome.

Well, although your pup didn't do anything wrong, I'm afraid I think that you did. Yes, the woman vastly over reacted, but I don't believe that any dog, no matter how friendly it is, should be allowed to just go up to a strange dog without first introducing them properly & asking if the other owner is happy with it. It's bad manners to just let your dog approach anyone without making sure first.

What if the other dog had been aggressive & had bitten your pup? What if it was a bitch in season? Or maybe it has recently been poorly or had an operation and the owner wants to keep it calm?

Please, always check first! That way, you'll avoid stressing out stupid women! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:35

Agree with Caryll. We never allow Suki to meet a dog offleash the first time without talking to the handler first. It's good manners and prevents a bad incident.

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Mon Jan 23 2012, 13:25

I have to agree with Caryll, i keep Kasidy on a line to stop her doing it and it sure p***** me off when people allow their dogs to rush over.You probably were on the receiving end of the woman's frustration with her dog and other people doing it before you. I'm very polite but sometimes i'd like to give dog owners an ear full batting eyelashes
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
playful Staffy pup Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by chrissy Tue Jan 24 2012, 10:46

errrr... no matter what staffys, pits etc... similiar breeds are always to blame because of there looks and ignorant uneducated dog owners. i agree don't let someone get the best out of u. if your not confident take some classes, no matter what if your dog is on lead your in control... not ur fault
chrissy
chrissy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Talulah (french bulldog, future sister of a staffy)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down