Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!!

+2
janey
littleprincessnicky
6 posters

Go down

Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!! Empty Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!!

Post by littleprincessnicky Wed Dec 05 2012, 22:38

Had our puppy Fudge (4 months old) for a month now, so after waiting to get his jabs cleared etc, he is just starting out on his walks. I'm so proud of him really as he walks quite nice, and doesn't pull too much, considering he is just getting used to going out on his lead.... but with his new excitement at being out in the world with all the new smells and people to sniff out, he is such a big jumper! He is being friendly, wanting to kiss and play and is wagging his tail, but will not stop jumping up people passing by? Any tips to help stop this? He doesn't really do it in the house, only when we are out on walkies. Am starting Puppy Training classes next month, but could do with some tips/advice for in the meantime! Smile
littleprincessnicky
littleprincessnicky
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Fudge
Dog(s) Ages : 4 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

https://www.facebook.com/littleprincessnicky

Back to top Go down

Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!! Empty Re: Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!!

Post by janey Wed Dec 05 2012, 22:58

Its a common problem wih staffs, they are so friendly, Moo was a mare, I just had to be one step in front, and I still do if she is off lead, he'll learn 'no' or 'down' in time Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!! Empty Re: Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!!

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 23:38

Loki still does this and he's 7 months old. He's just a Staff-shaped bomb of excitement Laughing anyway, when he's meeting people, tell them to not give him any attention until he's calm. Then get him to sit nice and calmly and only then can he get some attention from all the wonderful new people. I know, easier said than done Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 03:28

ANattyRat wrote:Loki still does this and he's 7 months old. He's just a Staff-shaped bomb of excitement Laughing anyway, when he's meeting people, tell them to not give him any attention until he's calm. Then get him to sit nice and calmly and only then can he get some attention from all the wonderful new people. I know, easier said than done Big Grin

Good advice

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:44

My Bacchus is just short of 5 months and it is a problem which is exacerbated by the fact that it is very difficult to ask people not to make a fuss until they calm down.
Because of the area where we walk our pup, all the people we meet are dog lovers and almost all the dogs are off lead, including Bacchus. All dog lovers want to make a fuss of a puppy and staff pups being staff pups take full advantage.
I know it just makes Bacchus' day when he meets someone to make a fuss of him.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 06 2012, 15:23

reuben wrote:
My Bacchus is just short of 5 months and it is a problem which is exacerbated by the fact that it is very difficult to ask people not to make a fuss until they calm down.
Because of the area where we walk our pup, all the people we meet are dog lovers and almost all the dogs are off lead, including Bacchus. All dog lovers want to make a fuss of a puppy and staff pups being staff pups take full advantage.

Yeah, that's why it can take a long time to stop them from jumping up. It's not that it's hard to learn, just that not everyone allows it to be consistent. The only people Loki still tries to pull towards are drunk people or people outside of pubs. Why? Because they've always made a huge fuss of him and let them jump up no matter what I've said Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by littleprincessnicky Fri Dec 07 2012, 23:05

ANattyRat wrote:Loki still does this and he's 7 months old. He's just a Staff-shaped bomb of excitement Laughing anyway, when he's meeting people, tell them to not give him any attention until he's calm. Then get him to sit nice and calmly and only then can he get some attention from all the wonderful new people. I know, easier said than done Big Grin
Am going to try this, I have lost count of the poor passers by that have gotten muddy paw prints on their trousers!! Luckily, its on the dog walking run, so they are doggy lovers aha! Smile x
littleprincessnicky
littleprincessnicky

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Fudge
Dog(s) Ages : 4 Months
Support total : 0

https://www.facebook.com/littleprincessnicky

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sat Dec 08 2012, 08:55

glad i havent got a tearaway then and its normal. She is 6 months old now and thinks everything and everyone is out to greet her!
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stopping playful puppy from jumping up at strangers!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:02

Definitely normal for some dogs. Tilly learnt quite quickly to stay down , but if someone makes a fuss she will jump though far more gently. Tommy on the other hand is a rough little thug and will bound up to people and say hello with his teeth jumping up in total excitedness. We are working on it but the answer in short term is make sure the dog is clipped on and short lead , don't get too close

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 10:56

Dave wrote:Definitely normal for some dogs. Tilly learnt quite quickly to stay down , but if someone makes a fuss she will jump though far more gently. Tommy on the other hand is a rough little thug and will bound up to people and say hello with his teeth jumping up in total excitedness. We are working on it but the answer in short term is make sure the dog is clipped on and short lead , don't get too close

I have to say, I'm comforted to know that Tommy has the same problem Loki has regarding meeting people, especially since they're close in age. Thank god I'm not alone in this battle Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 11:04

Good advice there!

reuben wrote:

This is exactly what irritates me on walks - everybody just lets their dogs off lead & lets them get on with it. No thought to proper introductions, no thought to training manners! angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 12:45

ANattyRat wrote:
Dave wrote:Definitely normal for some dogs. Tilly learnt quite quickly to stay down , but if someone makes a fuss she will jump though far more gently. Tommy on the other hand is a rough little thug and will bound up to people and say hello with his teeth jumping up in total excitedness. We are working on it but the answer in short term is make sure the dog is clipped on and short lead , don't get too close

I have to say, I'm comforted to know that Tommy has the same problem Loki has regarding meeting people, especially since they're close in age. Thank god I'm not alone in this battle Laughing

Lot easier said than done to control but we are learning from the training , think the most importasnt factor is to have people to help you out and listen to you

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo_Boss Sat Dec 08 2012, 22:50

Hugo is just the same, earlier on I had to put a lead on him in the house as all he wants to do is greet people and play.

He knows not to bite or mouth but as soon as we have visitors all that goes out of the window, he's like a raging bull darting around the room jumping & biting people, I really need to get this under control.

Any ideas ?
Hugo_Boss
Hugo_Boss
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Hugo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 08 2012, 23:22

Wish I DID have any ideas, Hugo's Boss. My Kuchar, at nearly a year old, is still SO excitable, I've never had a dog like him. All friendliness and affection for everyone (canine or human) that comes within his sight and then any training that has managed to sink into his brain is COMPLETELY ignored/forgotten. I have him on a lead (short at night, extendable during the day) as not everyone appreciates his boisterous friendliness and I will keep him on a lead until (hopefully - one day?!) he will obey ME and not his instincts. In the house, it's the same - he's not on a lead then of course unless he becomes unbearable to our visitor.

The pity is that no-one sees him as the loving little doggy he really is when he is just "at home"- the excitement of meeting people or dogs (even ones he knows well) goes to his head like strong wine.

I'm personally hoping that when he gains maturity mentally (when, when?) he will calm down. The threat of the ultimate "chop" is still hanging over him, but I'm not sure that THAT will calm him down either!

Good luck Hugo's boss, Tara, Dave, Jules, Nicky, Rodger - you are not alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Sun Dec 09 2012, 10:11

We have yet to experience this, Charlie will be able to go out for walks on Christmas Eve, we have 2 weeks to get him used to his collar and lead Smile It must be so exciting for Fudge to be out and about, good luck Smile
Griffin5
Griffin5

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Dec 09 2012, 15:28

it is nice to know we're not alone lol and Kuchars owner has hit the nail on the head, tash is just so excitable when people visit that i think they tend to see her as a nuisance and she really is so lovable but i can understand where they're coming from because she wont let up
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down