VERY playful introductions!

3 posters

Go down

VERY playful introductions! Empty VERY playful introductions!

Post by constantknot Tue Aug 09 2011, 18:03

Just wondering if this is typical and if I should be doing more to address this kind of behaviour....

When our 13 wk old puppy meets other dogs (such as when we are out walking), he is very 'in your face'. He doesn't bother to sniff the other dog but instead rushes in at them. He tries to play immediately. Sometimes the other dog is kind of receptive but often they totally aren't. I know he is still so young and very playful but I want to make sure he is learning how to greet other dogs properly. I'm sort of scared that we'll come across a dog that has zero patience and snaps at him when he is darting around, etc. He is doing really well not jumping up on people but he seems to really want to jump up on other dogs.

He has a friend (an Olde English Bulldog) that comes over and he literally hangs off of him for as long as he's here... even hours sometimes! They try to hump each other too (which we obviously try to stop on both sides). The bulldog doesn't seem to mind much but I just wonder if Sully will learn how to play in different ways on his own?

Thanks for any advice! Smile
constantknot
constantknot
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sully
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

VERY playful introductions! Empty Re: VERY playful introductions!

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09 2011, 20:20

woody tends to know which dogs will tolerate him jumping and which ones wont, it has taken time though as woody was a hugger to start with, he'd put his front paws around the back of the other dogs neck, he still does that with some dogs and not with others.

im sure others will have advice for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09 2011, 20:54

Suki did this as well. We still make it a habit to talk to the dog's handler before letting her interact to see if their dogs has been socailized and if they are okay with puppies. We also make sure they interact for a bit on lead before even thinking about letting them off.

She does a proper greeting now but is still very excited around other dogs and thinks she had the "right" to say hello. Don't know if this is any help to you since we didn't really do anything she just kind of fixed her own problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Aug 09 2011, 20:55

You should encourage him to greet at a much calmer pace if you can but he is just a puppy Big Grin
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by constantknot Tue Aug 09 2011, 20:56

He does the hug thing too!

I'm definitely trying but I guess that's my question... he IS just a puppy, so am I trying too hard to keep it 'under control' when he's so little still? And it's pretty normal?
constantknot
constantknot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Thu Aug 11 2011, 18:25

Polly used to be like this but I used to make greetings a slow thing by trying to keep her on a short leash and letting her get close very slowly always controlled so that she didn't upset the other dog. This way if the other dog was wary then she didn't upset it or get snapped at herself. Now she will wait by me and slowly meet strange dogs face to face and will lay down to greet timid dogs. She has been able to greet all kinds of dogs this way including a few dogs on our walk that aren't usually dog friendly. If she is off leash and the other dog is off leash she still slowly approaches and will greet face to face and if worried will return to me and sit beside me. They do calm down if you are consistant in your training and always do the same thing, even if its a dog you already know.
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by constantknot Tue Aug 23 2011, 03:41

Thanks for the advice everyone. He is already doing much better! As he's meeting more and more dogs, I can see that it has a lot to do with the energy of the other dog too.
constantknot
constantknot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down