training him to get used to the lead???

3 posters

Go down

training him to get used to the lead??? Empty training him to get used to the lead???

Post by nate84 Sun Nov 20 2011, 07:23

Ok guys what is the best way to get this little guy used to a lead so that I can walk him? should I wait untill he has really settled in before I try, only had him for 5 days and he is 5-6 months old, or should I get it on now as early as possible. I was going to start by tying a shoe lace to his collar and then tying another one on to the end of it and then putting the lead on once he is used to the string, is this a good way to go, your recommendations are very welcome.

Cheers guys.

nate84
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

training him to get used to the lead??? Empty Re: training him to get used to the lead???

Post by Tyler&megsmum Sun Nov 20 2011, 10:25

I used to just put there leads on and let them wander around the house and garden with them trailing,keep an eye on him though as some pups seem to think it's a new chew toy Big Grin
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

training him to get used to the lead??? Empty Re: training him to get used to the lead???

Post by Guest Sun Nov 20 2011, 10:28

You are on the right track. The more they are exposed to a collar and lead early on the easier it is to walk them.

Back to top Go down

Post by nate84 Tue Nov 22 2011, 05:18

So I have attached his collar but he really does not like it, should I leave it on him, taking it off when he goes to sleep and putting it on again the next day until he gets used to it.
all he wants to do is sit there with it on he wont move at all, he just a solid rock. I dont think the breeders walked him, more just let him run around with the other dogs in the enclosure because he has no idea what it is. he is 6 months by the way.

nate84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 05:23

Put it on him in incresing amounts of time. Start with 20-30 minutes and build up from there. Suki never had a problem with a collar but clothes and harness she took some getting used to. She would try to bite or rip them off but eventually gave up and accepted it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 10:30

nate84 wrote:So I have attached his collar but he really does not like it, should I leave it on him, taking it off when he goes to sleep and putting it on again the next day until he gets used to it.
all he wants to do is sit there with it on he wont move at all, he just a solid rock. I dont think the breeders walked him, more just let him run around with the other dogs in the enclosure because he has no idea what it is. he is 6 months by the way.

He won't like it at all to start with. As said by jstaff put it on for a few minutes to start with & build up the time over a few days. Once he's used to the collar you can attach a lead & let him drag it around for a while. When he'll tolerate both collar & lead, pick the lead up & let him lead you around the house. After a while you can put a little pressure on the lead & get him to follow you - offer treats & call him in a happy, excited voice so he knows it's a good thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by nate84 Sun Nov 27 2011, 00:06

Still trying, refuses to budge still but well get there.

nate84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 00:15

Have you tried encouraging him with food? Hold some food in your closed hand let him sniff and he should be willing to follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by nate84 Mon Nov 28 2011, 02:06

I had not tried that, i will give it a shot however he doesnt like to take treats from the hand either so praising him that way is a little difficult as well.

nate84

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryAnn Mon Nov 28 2011, 05:42

We used to just put the lead on in the house. Then the garden. Paddy hated it but as there was two of us one would hold the lead while the other would basically run around like a nutter playing/encouraging. Just fuss and distraction from his lead. Worked a treat in days
KerryAnn
KerryAnn
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
training him to get used to the lead??? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paddy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down