Advice please ????

3 posters

Go down

Advice please ????  Empty Advice please ????

Post by Moosey Mon Jul 11 2022, 08:28

Hi all,

I am a new member but have read plenty of great info on this site already!
I would really love some advice on our situation if anyone is willing.

We have wanted to adopt a rescue dog for a long time but wanted to wait until we were in our new build home which we now are.
We went to the RSPCA about three weeks ago & told them we were full-timers etc we are out of the house 7am-3pm Mon - Fri. They said they had a dog that would suit this as he is suitable for full-timers; so we met Moose. He is a 3.5 year old American Staffy X. We spent some time with him and he was just so sweet and cuddly. Needless to say, based on the RSPCA advice he came home with us as I have two weeks off from work so can help settle him.

He has been absolutely beautiful, he's cuddly, affectionate and generally well behaved. He sleeps well in the hall outside our room for the night, is good around food and hasn't been barking etc. He walks well on the lead but can be easily startled (previous home he was tethered outside alot if not a the time so he is scared of things he hasn't come across before).

A couple of things I need advice on are, the first day we had to go out we left him in the back garden. Unfortunately we didn't anticipate him digging his way out of the side gate which he did and he went on a 2 hour walk around the neighbourhood. We were lucky someone lovely picked him up and he was back with us that afternoon.  Since then he hasn't liked being in the garden on his own much (he will sit out there in sun etc but looking for us/wants to come in and be inside. He's also stopped weeing out there? HELP? so we have to take him out on to the street on his lead for him to wee. He seems to be able to go a long time between wees!

Since he doesn't like being in the garden much, (behaviouralist from RSPCA thinks it may be due to being tethered in yard previously) we want to keep him inside when we're at work. They believe he'll be best left where he is comfortable now which is lounge/part of couch he is alloeed on. We've bought a camera so we can watch him on our phones to see how he goes. He has been left inside three times now, first time very chill except he chewed on one of my wooden sign home decors. Second time he was fine, paced abit when we left and a couple of barks and then on the couch and third time he didn't get up from his bed for about 10 mins and then went to the couch for next hour. My concern is, is it okay to leave him for 8 hours a day Mon-Fri?the RSPCA knew our situation but I just want to make sure we're not doing the wrong thing by him. No family can help out and unfortunately can't find a dog walker in our area so really no options in regards to a reprieve midday as we work 30 mins away.
I do plan to walk him at 6am for 30 mins and leave him with frozen Kong etc.

If you've managed to make it through this essay then I thank you haha!

Louise

Moosey
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice please ????  Empty Re: Advice please ????

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Jul 11 2022, 19:00

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Advice please ????  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice please ????  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Jul 11 2022, 19:16

Hello, welcome and congratulations on your new family member !

So my opinion is that any reasonable home is better than being in a cage in the RSPCA. It also leaves room the the next needy soul.
Is your situation the text book ideal ? No.
But how many people can claim to have that theoretical ideal home ? Not me either.

Can a dog hold 8 hours ? I have an acquaintance who has had rescue adult dogs for years and hers stay in the house from 7am to 4.30pm.
Just be aware that there can be accidents, especially if your dog is under the weather.
What concerns me a little more is the 30 mins walk the morning. Is your dog the athletic type because 30 mins seems little. Then again, it depends on the individual.

I also work full time and have a 25min drive home but I come home for lunch to let the girls out to toilet and stretch their legs in the garden.
It’s better to find a solution for lunch break but if you really can’t, make sure you can compensate in quality time with him when you are home (this won’t be just opening the kitchen door to the garden)

Advice please ????  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moosey Tue Jul 12 2022, 04:37

Thankyou for your reply Nifty staffy. It was very comforting!
I know he can definitely hold 8-10 hours as he does it overnight. I'm really not worried about accidents, I just want him to be happy! The RSPCA said he's always been a bit of a layabout so that may go in our favour.

Sorry I should of been clearer; we also walk him every afternoon around 4pm for around 45 mins/more of a casual sniffier walk and I will continue that forever more. Aswell as a play & some training after we eat dinner in the evening.

I would love to come back to him at lunch but my break is only 30 mins & so just isn't feasible.

Thankyou again for taking the time to reply.

Louise

Moosey

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Jul 12 2022, 18:45

Sorry about the misunderstanding concerning his activity.
I’m sure he is and will continue to be very happy with you. I know quite a few AmStaffs and despite their unfortunate reputation when in the wrong hands, they are very intelligent and affectionate dogs.

He will settle to his routine quickly; I see that my girls will doze all the time we are out, saving themselves for our return Big Grin He’ll do the same.
I’d love it if you could share your adventures together from time to time.
Any idea what else he has been crossed with ? (possibly of a photo, please ?) Advice please ????  3198918699

Advice please ????  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moosey Wed Jul 13 2022, 11:23

I left him for two hours today and he did just sleep the time away! I'm going to leave him for four hours on Friday and see how that goes. He's had two lots of visitors today and he did so well. Gentle and loving to them all. He actually was laying on my brothers lap sleeping within 10 mins of meeting him haha!
We don't know what he's crossed with, but were thinking maybe Kelpie or German Shepard as he has large ears. I'll attach a picture; see what you think.

Louise

Advice please ????  20220610
Advice please ????  20220710
Advice please ????  20220711Advice please ????  20220610
Advice please ????  20220710
Advice please ????  20220711

Moosey

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Wed Jul 13 2022, 12:20

What a gorgeous boy! I doubt that he's an American Staffordshire Terrier - they're banned in the UK. Unless you're not in the UK? I think he's more like a Stafford x GSD? Either way he's lovely!

He should be okay with being left for 7 or 8 hours as long as he has something to occupy him & he has a chance to empty his bladder/bowels before he's left & taken out directly you get home.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice please ????  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Moosey Wed Jul 13 2022, 13:29

Thankyou, we think hes gorgeous too! We live in Australia!

Yes definitely a walk before I go and straight when I get home.

Louise

Moosey

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Jul 13 2022, 17:48

What a handsome boy ! Love Struck

I can understand the idea behind the shepherd mix, not only by his ears but by his body shape too.
Whatever he is, it’s definitely true that he’s a lucky boy to have found his forever home with you.
I wish you all lots of lovely moments on your journey together Smile

Advice please ????  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down