Any advice please..

4 posters

Go down

Any advice please.. Empty Any advice please..

Post by markm730 Fri Oct 21 2011, 14:18

Hi all, a few questions if you dont mind..
We have Buster who we have been told is about 2yrs old - theres some pics if anyone wants to look,
1st :- At what age are they no longer classed as a puppy. The reason i ask this is because when we got him from the dogs home we were given a starter pack - if you can call it that - which included some pedigree chum dry food. We were told to add this to about half a tin of normal dog food and give him this for his meals, which we have been doing. Not too much of it though i might add so as to not over feed him. What im leading up to with this is what happens when he is out in the garden and doing his business... I know dogs poo, some more than others, but is anything up to 8-10 times a day sometimes normal for a dog of this age? The majority of time with this aswel is very runny!! Am i feeding him the wrong food? Is it time for a change to try and find a happy medium for something that doesnt seem to upsetting his bowels?
During all this he is in no way affected by anything, he's still very playfull and full of loads of energy.
2nd :- he seems to have a lot of flem, especially during the night, kinda like someone who smokes 40 a day is the best way i can describe it, and he sounds like he's constantly tryin to get something thats stuck in his throat out. Like i say, it doesn't seem to bother him as he just coughs it up then carries on doing what he was already doing.
Thanks
Mark

markm730
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Any advice please.. Empty Re: Any advice please..

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 14:29

Doesn't sound normal to me. If he is going 8-10 times a day he may be allergic to something in the food.

Back to top Go down

Post by markm730 Fri Oct 21 2011, 14:39

The 8-10 times isn't every day but it has happened on a few occassions

markm730

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 15:11

Have you had him checked by your vet since you've had him?
There are many tips on diet on this forum, I have not had any trouble with my two, so can't help except to agree with jstaff re possibly a bit allergic.
As for the "phlegm production, could he have a cold? Is he coughing as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 20:54

No, not normal at all. I'm not a fan of Pedigree food, although I know people who use it & like it.

It sounds as though your dog is reacting to something in the food. I would try getting him on to something else such as James Wellbeloved hypo allergenic food & see if that helps. If he isn't used to dry food, then try addind a little tinned Chappie to start with. Again, I don't like tinned food, but Chappie is known to be quite good for dogs with a sensitive tum.

As to your first question, officially a pup stops being a pup at 12 months old! However, a staff won't be fully mature till about 2 - 3 years old. So, he's probably a bit teenagerish at the moment!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21 2011, 20:56

P.S. He's a gorgeous looking boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by loubop Sat Oct 22 2011, 14:48

See the coughing, is he atually bringing stuff up? Buddy snorts and coughs and haks but never brings anything up. I asked the vet about it, because hes also a very heavy breather at times and can snore for the shire, so i was conerned he may have a blokage or something. Vet said if hes had kennel cough at some point that he ould have a kinda dry, sratchy throat as a result, and may just seem to be a bit congested at times.

Also, i was told that shorted snouted dogs can have nasal/breathing issues, like what wee pugs can get, my cousins friends stffy is a bit snorty too!

My other wonder abotu Buddy was that maybe he was a wee bit allegic or just not use to somethign in my house when he moved in.
x
loubop
loubop
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22 2011, 18:45

As a pup Samson suffered with runny pooh's and going quite a lot but i changed his food and it stopped almost straight away
the coughing i'm not sure about but a vet check would be worth it for piece of mind

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Oct 22 2011, 21:49

Time to change the food. Look for high quality with low or no grain. I think that if the cough is really that bad there might be reason to believe it is kennel cough as there are two types. The viral version is more like the common human cold and will pass without meds and usually the dog will have normal energy. If it is bacterial, meds are needed to break it (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Oct 24 2011, 16:46

bbimson wrote:Time to change the food. Look for high quality with low or no grain. I think that if the cough is really that bad there might be reason to believe it is kennel cough as there are two types. The viral version is more like the common human cold and will pass without meds and usually the dog will have normal energy. If it is bacterial, meds are needed to break it (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I think the immune system will get on top of it quite quickly with vira or bacterials kennel cough, however as you meantioned sometimes they can seem a little run-down. I have never vaccinated my dogs for kennel cough nor given them much else apart from children' benelyn when they have had it. I like them to try and build up an immunity on their own and also dont want to give my dogs to many antibiotics in case they become ineffective. Skibadee has had it twice in her life and Tali only once. If someone does a lot of competition and their dog is out most weekends it is worth getting a vaccine I guess though, like a human cold, there are many different strains.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down