New member looking for advice

2 posters

Go down

New member looking for advice  Empty New member looking for advice

Post by Amylou Sun Nov 22 2020, 15:40

Hello everyone! I'm Amy and I'm new to the group! My 18 month old male staffy is named Sterling and he is our everything!

Recently he has started reacting with aggression to larger, bulkier dogs (Rottweilers and English bulldogs specifically) when they come too close to him (which I think is because he is feeling threatened as every time they have been intruding on his space massively). Unfortunately last week a rotweiller (both off lead) kept following him even though my boy was trying to walk away from him and getting in his space. Before I could get sterling back on lead to get him away (my fault completely I should have read the signs sooner and have learnt from this now), Sterling grabbed onto the rotweillers ear and was tugging at him for 20 seconds before I got him off.

Although I didn't see exactly what happened to trigger it, i believe the rotweiller got too close to him again. Another thing is they are both intact and young males (rotty is 10 months). Rotty wasn't hurt badly thankfully.

Obviously I take full responsibility as the owner and from now on will be much more vigilant and responsive to his warning signs (hackles up and walking away despite the rotty stealing his toy) and get him straight on the lead. However I am hoping to get some advice/any other tips on how to stop this behaviour and my main question is, should we consider castration?

Sterling is the first dog we have had and we are aware there can be health benefits from having them done in the long run but we don't want to do it at this point unless it really does calm certain behaviours down?

I appreciate any advice.
Thank you kindly.
Amy
Amylou
Amylou
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Sterling
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New member looking for advice  Empty Re: New member looking for advice

Post by Jenc Sun Nov 22 2020, 19:38

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
New member looking for advice  Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New member looking for advice  B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Nov 22 2020, 19:44

Hi Amy from me & Katy Smile He's at the teenage stage as was Katy when she became reactive to other dogs. Some dogs don't like others getting in their face so maybe when you see another dog approaching clip his lead on that should hopefully give the other owner the signal to recall theirs. I must admit it doesn't always work & I have to ask them to do it!

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Amylou Mon Nov 23 2020, 18:28

Hello Jen and Katy. Thank you for your reply,
I will definitely check out those leaflets thank you so much. I already feel better knowing this forum is here and that there is support available.
Thanks from Amy and Sterling
Amylou
Amylou

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Sterling
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Nov 23 2020, 21:23

We are here to help so any questions ask away Smile

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down