+2
citybeatx
Shirley
6 posters

Go down

Any advice for new member Empty Any advice for new member

Post by Shirley Tue May 24 2011, 17:12

Hi,

I'm Shirley, 70 years' old, and married almost 47 years. We live in London. Five years' ago my son gave us two cross-Jack Russell pups (brother and sister) saying that is was "to keep you active in your old age!"

Now he's asked us to take on an over-active black Staffy bitch , approx. 1 year old, who's been passed around to 5 different owners since birth. The last owner did shift-work and, because of the damage she caused in the house whilst the owner was at work, she ended up being left alone for the last 6 months, locked into the bathroom (with food and water). Apparently, she wrecked the bathroom, too, and the owner wanted her put down unless someone else took her.

My son brought her home last Saturday evening (it's now Tuesday) and we had a hellish first night; none of us slept at all, because she constantly raced up and down stairs, terrifying our dogs. She also wet around the house the first couple of days, but since then has used the garden. We've re-named her Lulu instead of her old name, Lola, to mark her new and final home (we hope).

Lulu wants to chew and destroy things the whole time, including flower pots, plastic bottles from the recycling bin and anything else she can find. I've given her various toys and dog chews to keep her occupied, and she's dug up most of the bones our dogs have buried - much to their annoyance! Today, our dogs have started barking at her for taking their bones/food, so I think they are trying to assert their authority over her.

She's a very strong dog and barges into me when trying to get past, almost knocking me down the stairs several times. We want her to calm down and be part of our pet family (we also feed and house a stray cat) and so any help members can give me to make her integration into the family easier, will be much appreciated.

Shirley

Shirley
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Any advice for new member Empty Re: Any advice for new member

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 17:20

most destructive behaviour is caused by boredom, a 1year bitch will need 2 hours walks a day otherwise she'll be crazy round the house, they are very strong and boisterous dogs.

I've never kept multiple dogs together so don't know about integrating them into the house properly with your existing Jack Russell, but i would consider if its the right home because if you cant the the dog enough exercise it will always be a big handful

good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by citybeatx Tue May 24 2011, 17:38

Hello from me and Poppy,
and welcome to the forum! wave

Right, she clearly needs alot of exercise. You didnt mention how often and how long you walk Lulu for? Like Marty said, your staffy needs atleast 2 hours of walking each day so she can let her energy out. You also have 2 JRT and because they're older dogs, they know their teritory and another dog has just entered it, they are clearly not liking it. It might get worse, and it might cause fights between doggys.

I'd advise you to reconsider with your husband whether you're able to keep another dog at home (that definately need lots of training after having 6 owners), it's also a massive difference between a JRT and Staffy, I own a Staffy and JRT myself, and Mylo is nothing compared to Poppy.

Good luck, hopefully this will get sorted soon! x

Last edited by citybeatx on Tue May 24 2011, 17:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
citybeatx
citybeatx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Any advice for new member Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & JRT Mylo.
Dog Gender(s) : Female/Male.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 17:42

hi from me and Woody. there is only me and Woody at home and he is a handful on his own so ive no idea howto cope with other dogs - hopefully others as above will advise you - hope it works out as it sounds as though she needs a loving home

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 17:49

OK, hope I don't offend anyone, least of all you, but why does your son not care for the dog......
I have tried being "stepmom" to a JR and that was "pretty full-on" most of the time and now having an 18 month "full on staff", I so hear where you are coming from. However, it concerns me that you are now left to care for another exuberant & energetic dog, considering the activity levels of your other dogs and maybe "two's company, but three's a crowd" sure springs to mind.
Can your son offer to take her to training to learn some basic dog/social rules as I feel that this needs to be done asap. She sounds like she needs all the attention (not surprising, considering she's had 5 other environments to live in over the last 12 months), so calm, positive reinforcement will hopefully help her adjust (yet again) to new surroundings. I'm probably not being very helpful but I'm sure there are other members who have more knowledge of support systems in the UK that can give you some advice.
In the meantime, I think you are and awesome mum for taking all this on and trying to find the right solution to ensure Lulu grows up in a loving and positive environment thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 24 2011, 18:09

Hi & Any advice for new member Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Any advice for new member Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Any advice for new member Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Any advice for new member Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Any advice for new member Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Any advice for new member Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 20:47

Hello & welcome to the forum!

I honestly don't think that you're going to be able to cope, but I hope I'm wrong. That sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. A stafford needs loads of excercise & plenty of firm, consistent training, and if you can't provide that she will become a hooligan. Do you know if there are any training classes held near you? they could be helpful.

You'll also have to be very careful with your existing JRTs because if, as she gets older & more sure of herself, she takes exception to them barking at her could well have a fight on your hands.

You mentioned your age in the first sentence - does that mean that you feel unable to give the excercise you think she needs? If so, then you should consider giving her up, or asking your son to come round every day & walk her for you.

I sound terribly negative, but I'm really concerned that you can't quite cope with her. If you do feel that you have to let her go, please contact a Satffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue kennel & ask them to help - they will be able to place her in the right home for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue May 24 2011, 22:04

Hi and welcome to the forum Big Grin
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue May 24 2011, 23:55

Hello Smile Im not sure if you really want to take on the responsibility or not after reading your post. But if you do Im going to disagree a little with the others, your girl will adjust to your home given the opertunity with boundrys firstly obedience and no following you upstairs so there are no accidents. If you have a garden and can play with her (throw a ball) she will have the excercise she needs and there is no need to take her for long walks just short ones will be okay its better then what she had before and maybe your son can still have a bond when he comes over.
You have the most wonderful gift to give that little girl and that is your time and if your home all day then thats the bees knees as staffords love and crave human company above all else I think that is the root of all her problems being left alone for hours on end when all she wants is love and companionship.If all are getting along and you feel you want to keep her go for it im sure she will turn around to be a great dog good luck in whatever you choose let us all know how your going Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 07:45

Hi and welcome to the forum .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 08:35

hello and welcome

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25 2011, 15:53

Hi there and welcome ! I hope if you do decide to take on Lulu that it works out for everyone involved...especially Lulu!! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by staffygalkezXX Wed May 25 2011, 15:57

i agree wiv gem, although with her havin so much energy i think she'l need a long walk & short walks everyday. you seem like a really nice person and i hope everythin works out ok! Smile Smile
staffygalkezXX
staffygalkezXX
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : blayde
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content