Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice.

+9
stella
steve76
bullsmommy1
Steve
farmgirl
dave g
janey
Kathy
Yoda2404
13 posters

Go down

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Empty Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice.

Post by Yoda2404 Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:19

Hello everyone, I have a 22 month old male, he's my boy. Over the last week he's gone right off dog food, he looks at me with those sad eyes, bow's his head and trots off back to the settee. After the first couples of days with him not eating, ii did what most people do and look on the internet for a answer, and it seems everyone's a dog whisperer.
Well back to the issue, my boy will quite happily sit there and watch me cook chicken and rice for him (which I have done since day two off his hunger strike) my wife say's I'm to soft and he will eventually eat dog food, he eats the c + r fine, so the next meal time I will dish his normal dog food and mixer up and he walks in the kitchen looks at it and turns round. He is drinking fine, running around, fine in himself but will not eat dog food, it's getting expensive, I'm really trying everything before I go to the vets, now that's expensive.
I have also got a four month old bitch who will eat everything and seeks attention, I'm wondering if the male is playing me, since the bitch has been able to scramble onto the settee the male never gets time to relax, as soon as he gets comfy she will run over jump on him, he will give a little grunt or growl out then move somewhere else, could this be contributing to his pickky ness and him knowing that if he refuses his food I will feel sorry for him and cook him a meal, i can feel a trip to the vets coming, any advice from yourselves would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Yoda2404
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rio and Ellie
Dog(s) Ages : Male 22 months Bitch 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : One of each
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Empty Re: Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice.

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:21

Hi & Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Empty Re: Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice.

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:26

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Have you tried putting his food down for him then leave it there for about 10 minutes then remove it. He wouldn't let himself starve.

does he get any treats, biscuits or table scraps of any kind that he could be eating instead of his normal food? If so try knocking these on the head for a while until he starts to eat again.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda2404 Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:43

Hi great site, I tried that first, the first couple of days he would glide him nose over it give it a lick then walk off, I have tried every couple of hours But he is not interested, as for treats, they both get a dentix stick every day, we don't feed them off our plates but if they do get scraps it goes in there bowls.
I tried keeping the bitch in the front room so he can eat in peace, i thought this may help but he's just not interested in dog food. chicken, rice, sausage's, steak, this weeks the dogs eaten better than all of us, he's a very chilled dog, this is really out of character for him, he used to love his food.

Yoda2404

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:55

Just out of curiosity, what brand of food were you giving him ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 13:04

Sorry but it sounds to me like he's getting fixated on the table scraps you provide him and he knows if he doesn't eat his food then you will provide an alternative. By all means if you are concerned then take him to the vets for a check up , but ultimately for the moment you must cut out al table scraps and treats and anything else you cook for him because you're worried about him not eating.
Believe me this is from experience as Tilly was exactly the same . Put the food down and then take it up after 10 mins , repeat hourly . A healthy dog will not starve him / her self so if the vet says everything is ok then you just have to get tough.
It would be interesting to know what food you are feeding him on , he maybe has got bored of it but if you persevere he should at least mess with it.
I am now changing over to Fish4dogs for our 2 and if you contact them they will give you some free samples to try so maybe it's worth seeing if he shows any better interest in something new, but the longer you pander to him the worse he will get.
After our strict regime with Tilly following the advice above (which I got from here) Tilly's eating habits are improving and we can slip in the odd treat without her losing interest in her own food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 13:04

and welcome to the forum Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 01 2012, 13:15

Good advice already, hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 14:29

Hi from me and the boys.

Firstly choose the food you want to give and stick to it. Put it down for 10 mins at meals times and take up after that. Dont give him anything no treats,scraps nothing between meals. Just keeping putting down and taking away his food.

He will soon learn that he has to eat what you say, he might go a few days without eating but if he is healthy then it is no problem at all, longest I've heard a dog going was 11 days and now eats what it gets.

Tough love it the answer if you have ruled out health problems

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 15:20

Hi & welcome.

Like the others, I'd put his food down & take it up after 10 mins. Then nothing at all until next feed time.

What brand dog food do you feed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 15:28

Hi and welcome from me Millie and Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Sep 01 2012, 15:50

welcome Big Grin
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:00

Hello and welcome from Tyson & me.

Back to top Go down

Post by farmgirl Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:07

Hi and welcome from Kia and me
farmgirl
farmgirl

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Kia
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months approx
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda2404 Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:28

Thanks for all your ideas, I will try him with his dog food for the next couple of days and will keep you all posted.

Yoda2404

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Sep 01 2012, 18:53

Hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bullsmommy1 Sat Sep 01 2012, 19:02

My bulley is exactly the same He will eat about 4 pieces of kibble a day and has been the same for 2years! Time to get tough on your boy and stop cooking chicken&rice he'll eat when. He's hungry
bullsmommy1
bullsmommy1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bulley, major & kaiser
Dog(s) Ages : 10,13 & 5months
Dog Gender(s) : all male
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Sat Sep 01 2012, 23:36

Hello and welcome, i agree it's time to toughen up, no dog will let them selves go hungry if food is available
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:13

Hi and welcome from us and Suki.

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda2404 Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:29

Well I did what you all said, put his food down he walked away, after about the third time and him realising I wasn't going to cook for him he has now had around four mouthfuls of dog food, it's a start.
Thanks for all your advice and I will keep you all updated.
If I can figure out how to upload some pictures of my baby's I will.

Yoda2404

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:30

Glad to hear about the progress. Here is a link that will help with the pics

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda2404 Sun Sep 02 2012, 00:55

https://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r568/yoda2404/?action=view&current=13fd801b.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

Yoda2404

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 02 2012, 10:00

hia from me and sasha Smile
they are crafty little so and so's when they want to be!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 11:09

Hi & welcome to the forum >Big Grin<
He is a stunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Sun Sep 02 2012, 19:57

Hi and welcome, glad to hear that we are not the only softies guilty of cooking something different!! hee hee
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : enzo & enya
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by farmgirl Sun Sep 02 2012, 21:09

just seen the photo of Rio he is a stunner and looks just like my Kia Love Struck
farmgirl
farmgirl

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Kia
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months approx
Support total : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Mon Sep 03 2012, 07:50

Yoda2404 wrote:I have also got a four month old bitch who will eat everything and seeks attention, I'm wondering if the male is playing me, since the bitch has been able to scramble onto the settee the male never gets time to relax, as soon as he gets comfy she will run over jump on him, he will give a little grunt or growl out then move somewhere else, could this be contributing to his pickky ness and him knowing that if he refuses his food I will feel sorry for him and cook him a meal, i can feel a trip to the vets coming, any advice from yourselves would be much appreciated, Thanks.

You must stop her from doing this now, he is being very good with her, he warns her but won't continue warn her, he will attack eventually. This is possibly the reason why he isn't eating, he is very unhappy with her jumping over him. He is telling but she is ignoring him, you need to back him up by getting her off him or better still, watch for the signs she is going to do this and distract her, if she won't be distracted you need to stop her before she jumps on him.

I and some tinned mackeral, sardines or tuna to my dogs food when they don't eat, I find that gets them eating again.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and could do with some advice. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Mon Sep 03 2012, 21:05

Hi and welcome.

Callie does the same thing when we've put too much good stuff in her food (e.g. leftover steak) Smile
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Sep 06 2012, 19:54

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda2404 Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:22

Just a quick update..rio is slowly getting his appetite back, he has decided to start picking his mixer out piece by piece, so I'm just giving him tinned food at the moment, once again thanks for all your advice

Yoda2404

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down