Mistys Mum
Mia05
Emma&Denzel
7 posters

Go down

Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Empty Crate advice for my rescue Denzel

Post by Emma&Denzel Mon Jul 13 2015, 10:38

Hi there

I've recently rehomed Denzel a lovely 18 month old staff whose old owners were selling. When I got to meet him that night he was tied up on string, underweight, has dermatitis and his glands needed sorted. He had the kindest eye - I wasn't going to leave him and he jumped in my car and never looked back. At 8.30 following morning he was straight in the vets and is now on a pure meat and veg diet, skin so much better and is putting on weight nicely. He'll be castrated in a couple of weeks.

We have a cat who were slowly introducing its going to take some time but currently feeding between stair gate which is massive progress seeing as she wouldn't come out of the cupboard for over day!

He's never been crate trained but I'm keen to keep a safe environment when I'm at shops etc. also for him to sleep downstairs so he has some boundaries. Some have suggested a muzzle but do you think it's not too late to crate train him?

He's not my first Staffie my old one died of old age but I had him since a pup. This is first time I've rescued and so pleased with his progress after only a few days. He's marvellous with my 2 year old son. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks Emma and Denzel

Emma&Denzel
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Empty Re: Crate advice for my rescue Denzel

Post by Mia05 Mon Jul 13 2015, 11:08

Hi & Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrowIf you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrowWe have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Crate advice for my rescue Denzel Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Crate advice for my rescue Denzel B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Jul 13 2015, 11:14

Welcome from me and mia . Well done on the rescue Smile i personally dont crate train i believe if the dog has been in kennels previously he may associate the crate with negativity you can however try i believe in moderation he may come round to the crate if you leave him for short periods of time Smile come and say hi here https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions. We also love photos heres how to post them https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum.

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Mon Jul 13 2015, 11:42

Hi and welcome from me and Misty. Its great that you have rescued Denzel and given him a happy home he deserves. I don't create Misty as she was kept in a cage alot with her old owners and she's always been good as good in the house if we have to leave her for half an hour. Please please can we have some piccies , I want to see the little man.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Emma&Denzel Mon Jul 13 2015, 12:47

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'm a stay at home mum so it's really just if I go to shops etc. it's more for his and the cats safety than wanting to confine him....oh and not chewing anything. He's got lots of toys now and goes for his daily walks and runs which are long! He's on 3 meals a day at moment and his weight and skin are really coming along fast.

How do I post pics from an iPhone?

Emma&Denzel

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Jul 13 2015, 13:07

You need a photobucket account upload pics from photobucket to here i will be here if you need help Smile

Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Jul 13 2015, 23:41

Hi ya Emma, welcome to the Forum Smile

A crate can be used as a safe haven too and I wouldn't see any problem if it's introduced as such. If you can make it his den where he can relax then there shouldn't be any issues when you have to leave him in it. Take it slowly and make it a place he wants to be but never use it for time outs or negative reactions.

Crate advice for my rescue Denzel B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Jul 15 2015, 17:13

Hey Emma! Well done on the rescue, poor mite! Glad he's safe and comfortable with a full tummy now! I crate trained Bug in a very short time - luckily she loved it! She was in kennels for over a year and was a very nervous fully grown adult when I took her in, so it's certainly do-able, depending on the dog.

Here's a crate training link;
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/weekend-crate-training

I only use the crate when introducing Bug to new people or when we have workmen in, as she has been known to show aggression if she feels nervous or under pressure - so she's never in it for more than 30 minutes really. Crates are easily used and abused - I don't agree with people leaving their dogs in them for hours on end when at work etc; they are a training tool, not a long term solution. Is your dog destructive? Or is the crate to keep him and the cat seperate? Why has a muzzle been suggested? I wouldn't ever leave a muzzle on a dog unattended. Is your living area open plan or could he be confined to a single room when left alone?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by BB81383 Wed Jul 15 2015, 21:15

Welcome to the forums and thanks for saving Denzel. I am glad to hear he is a good fit for you and your family and that he is now apart of a loving home. The advice provided above, I agree with.. Good luck. Smile
BB81383
BB81383
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tezzers Wed Jul 15 2015, 21:47

Yes, everything taken slowly is the key i think Smile We only picked Maya up last week, and i know your`s is a totally different scenario, but make it His Place, nice and cumfy, filled full of toys and treats. This was all i had to do with Maya, and she finds it great for taking a nap in during the day.

When she went in for a nap earlier on i gently closed the gate, and once she was snoring, i nipped out for a motorbike ride, This was the first time she had been left alone ( only 30 minutes ) and when i got back home, she was still fast asleep. Laughing

So i agree with everything said above, just small steps, and i am sure Denzel will be fine.

Good Luck, and very well done on saving the little fella, it disgusts me how some people can treat their dogs. Sad
Tezzers
Tezzers
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Maya
Dog(s) Ages : Born 13th of May 2015
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 104

Back to top Go down