Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba.

+2
Maria90
jo garnett
6 posters

Go down

Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba. Empty Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba.

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 07:16

This really is a novel ... thank you in advance for taking the time to read it Big Grin

Some of you may remember that I had fallen for a beautiful rescue boy named Normi a couple of months back, unfortunately it didn't work out as planned so we have stayed a one dog household.

Today we went to meet a rescue girl named Sheba. She is 16 months old and has had a rough run this past year - she was stolen from her original owners at 7 months and was handed in at the pound 7 months later. She had recently had puppies and had lost most of her fur to dermodex when she arrived. Her original owners had purchased another dog and were unable to take her back so she was sent to a rescue. Two months later she has put on weight and most of her hair has grown back, though she is still having treatment for the mites.

Chiquito met her for the first time today. Unfortunately there was no place for them to play off lead (it is a very small 'last chance' rescue centre and made me quite sad actually) so all we could do was walk them together around a near by park which made their behaviour difficult to interpret. She was able to sit for a treat and there was no aggression at all as they sat next to each other to have them, walking on the lead was appalling hard with her though. There were a few growls from Chiquito when she initially jumped on him (she has bad doggy manners) however he did play bow and roll on his back a few times in an attempt to play ... Sheba seemed interested and stood over him (not aggressively) but didn't play at all (the rescue says that this is typical of her with other dogs, and believe that she just doesn't know how to play). She is also very people (rather than puppy) orientated and is quite full on in her greetings, play and behaviour with all fur babies and humans. I am also told she will simply go to anyone without any prior thought or pause.

She is despite all this, delightfully loving and gentle. So .... we have asked to bring her home next weekend for a home visit. Being that this will be their first meeting off lead (and only their second meeting), I am a little worried about whether or not this is wise??

If anyone has any advice on how we might go about doing introductions without being off lead away from home first that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have managed to read my novel above about Sheba, her behaviours and issues and have any comments about any that you feel I should be concerned about please let me know. (For fear of asking too many questions, advice on how hard the dermodex will be to manage would be good too!!). I really want to make sure I am doing all the right things here!!

Here is a pic of her from today Smile

Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba. 5b856898-1d3c-4939-a609-d1ba65880418_zps4ff7945b[/URL]
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba. Empty Re: Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba.

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03 2013, 07:37

Aww Kell what a beautiful girly she is, I'm sure you can manage her excitable greetings with some training, I know about demodex only what I've learnt from here, and whilst it can be diff ugly to manage it can be managed and does get better, saz & Maria will be able to give you more help on this though Smile

Back to top Go down

Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba. Empty Re: Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba.

Post by jo garnett Sun Nov 03 2013, 07:37

She sounds (and looks!) gorgeous - well done for giving her a chance, I so hope the meeting goes well. By the sound of it, I think it will Smile 
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 08:09

Thanks Hayley and Jo Smile

Darcy-may wrote: I'm sure you can manage her excitable greetings with some training
The excitable greetings I am reasonably comfortable with. Chiquito was (and still at times is) quite jumpy and mouthy when he says hello, which means that us (along with all of our friends and family) have become pretty good with ignoring jumps and treating for sits .. I am hopeful that this would work well with an older dog as well.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03 2013, 08:27

I'm sure it will Kell, your more than capable Big Grin I envy you I would love to rescue but OH is firm on one dog Sad not 2/3/4 lol which is what would happen is he said oh ok then Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 09:20

Laughing I'm worried that I'll come home with 4 everytime I visit the rescue.

In all honesty though I am still nervy about the idea of just moving up to two dogs. Chiquito seems to be going through his terrible teens at the moment and I'm worried that I'll just be doubling the problem by introducing a second dog. I am also a bit worried that he might get jelous (as an only child he is rather spoilt) .. but on the flip side I think that he will enjoy the company, especially now we have moved and he is no longer seeing his friends at the dog park and training each day.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sun Nov 03 2013, 09:34

Kell! She is absolutely beautiful Smile I'm sure Chiquito will love the company, but it seems Chiquito and Rocky are both going through that teenager stage Rolling Eyes  Bloody trouble!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 09:54

Thanks Maria Smile

Maria90 wrote: it seems Chiquito and Rocky are both going through that teenager stage Rolling Eyes  Bloody trouble!
Couldn't agree more!! There are days I almost miss puppydom ... then I remember it was just as bad Laughing 
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sun Nov 03 2013, 10:10

Our 2 are the very best of friends - they play, sleep, get up to stuff they shouldn't together. On walks when they're off the lead they don't take any notice of any other dogs, they just play together. The play fighting can get very noisy at times though! I think they're happier with a friend.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 10:20

Thanks Jo .. that's lovely to hear Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03 2013, 10:56

Well done you Kell for giving her the chance x I am sure the meet will go well and they will end up the best of friends Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 03 2013, 11:13

I've never had two dogs together so I can understand your apprehension. Are you able to take them out on the visit so you can see how they behave together on neutral ground before going into your home ? Then maybe a play around your garden before going inside too, this will give them both a bit of time together.

Is Chiquito territorial at all ? I guess the only way you will ever find out is to try it and see how things go. I really hope things work out for the best, it sounds like Sheba needs some stability in her life, I'm sure with some time , patience and training you will all get there.

Don't forget to watch for the body language too, this should give you a clue as to how things are going:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 11:35

Thanks Kathy Smile

I could take them walking again, or there is a dam nearby where I could put them both on long lines for a play/swim .. there really isn't a safe (considering I do not know Shebas recall or off lead behaviour) off lead place other than home though.

Chiquito has never displayed any territorial behaviours before, even when meeting dogs at home in his yard for the first time. He is pretty chilled as far as that goes. Would you think keeping one or both of them on lead around the yard at first would be a good idea regardless though? I think we will try on lead inside the house initially, though the only area I think might be an issue is my bed (where Choc sleeps) .. he gets quite sulky if 'his' bed has human or fur intruders.

The link is really informative - thanks for suggesting it. I was trying to watch for all the stress/aggressiion signs today, but on lead it was a little tricky trying to work out what was 'staff play' and what wasnt.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 03 2013, 11:42

I would keep both on the lead (at least to start with) that way you still have control, do you have someone there with you to help out ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Nov 03 2013, 11:48

Fab news Kell! I really hope all goes well. You have the knowledge and experience just be confident and good luck Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 11:59

Kathy wrote:I would keep both on the lead (at least to start with) that way you still have control, do you have someone there with you to help out ?
Thanks Kathy .. will do.

My brother came with me today so we could walk both dogs together, and he has offered to come and help over the weekend with settling in as well Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 12:00

janey wrote:Fab news Kell! I really hope all goes well. You have the knowledge and experience just be confident and good luck Xx
Thanks Janey Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 03 2013, 12:09

That's great Kell, you will have some support too Help and advice please .... rescue dog Sheba. 3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Nov 03 2013, 19:01

She's beautiful, I really hope it works out Big Grin 

In regards to the Demodex, Daisy lost most of her fur just after I got her but its 7 months now since we got the all clear. I have tried to boost her immune system with supplements, seems to have worked. I also had her spayed because having a season can be a trigger to a dog that is prone to it. Also stress and poor Sheba has had a bad time.

What the vet told me was that think of it like she is in remission, it may never come back but as she has a poor immune system there is always the chance. We are doing well and I don't think there's any reason to think Sheba won't too Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Nov 03 2013, 22:03

Thanks Saz Smile

Sheba is on Ivomectrum (spelling??) oral liquid daily. I believe this is her third treatment (follow up). She has some quite sore, scabby looking areas on her chest and neck as well as a couple of bald patches that look sore and dry - presume this is from scratching?

I do remember you saying something about vitamins for Daisy - will look up the posts Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Nov 03 2013, 22:06

Oh yes, Ivomectin is really good Smile 

Daisy has vitamin B complex daisy, neem powder a few days each week and ecchinacea every other month, also Apple cider vinegar Smile 

Yes the patches will be from scratching, poor love
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Mon Nov 04 2013, 13:00

Glad you could interpret my spelling Big Grin

Will look up each of the supplements and see where we can get them around here - would think our chemist or local produce would have at least some of them.

Thanks Saz Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Nov 04 2013, 13:06

Big Grin I do hope it works out Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down